Poll: which would you go for:
Poll Options
View poll results: which would you go for:
Diamond Compressor
2 100%
Wampler Ego
0 0%
Voters: 2.
its a really close. i have played the ego, i really like how the blend knob functions. that is the main reason. but the Diamond seems a little better from videos and a the diamond is pretty effective and sounded great.

should mention that i am using this to lightly balance teles on a country/country blues, i i am NOT using this to squash.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
should mention that i am using this to lightly balance teles on a country/country blues, i i am NOT using this to squash.

diamond for sure. the only reason to get the ego in your case is for squish.
The Ego out of the two. The Diamond is too limited and inflexible in comparison. The Ego can do what the Diamond does, and a lot more too.

I would rather have an Empress over either though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have an ego. I use mine for metal/ambient though. I would say the wampler has a greater versatility over the diamond. I however have not tried the diamond.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by NakedInTheRain
diamond for sure. the only reason to get the ego in your case is for squish.

i am trying to figure it out, and i appreciate the answer, but with the mix on the ego, if i set it lower it really wouldn't get squashed would it?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by dspellman
The Ego.

have you tried both? or either? own one or the other?

i have no way to demo diamond, where does it fall short?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am trying to figure it out, and i appreciate the answer, but with the mix on the ego, if i set it lower it really wouldn't get squashed would it?

i'm coming at this from vca vs optical. i really dislike squash, so i'm an optical guy. last time i used a vca with a blend control (philosopher's tone), it didn't work for me at all - using the blend and compression knobs i only got nothing or squash.

that's my experience though. if you've played the ego and it works for you, get the ego. i'm thinking if you want a comp on the subtler side, go the diamond. that thing adds the smidgest bit of compression with the comp knob all the way down, and gets moderate to medium squash all the way up.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i'm coming at this from vca vs optical. i really dislike squash, so i'm an optical guy. last time i used a vca with a blend control (philosopher's tone), it didn't work for me at all - using the blend and compression knobs i only got nothing or squash.

that's my experience though. if you've played the ego and it works for you, get the ego. i'm thinking if you want a comp on the subtler side, go the diamond. that thing adds the smidgest bit of compression with the comp knob all the way down, and gets moderate to medium squash all the way up.

thank you very much.

what is the difference between vca and optical?

off of curiousity, which is the dyna comp? (that is really my only experience with a comp. i hated it it was loud as hell.

what i am looking for is just a little bit to level out the pickups on my teles, balance things.

what is the reason for squash and not squashed? where are the benefits for squashed. i thought i knew but now i am realizing i dont. lol.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i have been watching demos for the last two hours, i think it will be the wampler ego. the demos i am finding are not totally squashedl, if you mess with the knobs.

thanks very much everybody! i may buy something else, but i have a NGD coming.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thank you very much.

what is the difference between vca and optical?

off of curiousity, which is the dyna comp? (that is really my only experience with a comp. i hated it it was loud as hell.

what i am looking for is just a little bit to level out the pickups on my teles, balance things.

what is the reason for squash and not squashed? where are the benefits for squashed. i thought i knew but now i am realizing i dont. lol.

someone else can explain the mechanics, but typically optical has a slower attack and is less intense, so sounds more natural. vca is less subtle (ross and dyna comp).

you would want squashy if you need all the strings on the guitar to be at exactly the same volume. you would also want squashy if you want a lot of clean sustain. the tradeoff (that i see) is if you whack the lower strings in this case, they sound like rubber bands. also the more squashy, the more weird artefacts you start getting, and the noise floor also increases.

i got the diamond for the same reason that you want a compressor; i just wanted a little bit to even out the pickups and string volumes. plus if i ever had the desire for squish, i was able to get a decent amount.

tl;dr compressors suck.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
someone else can explain the mechanics, but typically optical has a slower attack and is less intense, so sounds more natural. vca is less subtle (ross and dyna comp).

you would want squashy if you need all the strings on the guitar to be at exactly the same volume. you would also want squashy if you want a lot of clean sustain. the tradeoff (that i see) is if you whack the lower strings in this case, they sound like rubber bands. also the more squashy, the more weird artefacts you start getting, and the noise floor also increases.

i got the diamond for the same reason that you want a compressor; i just wanted a little bit to even out the pickups and string volumes. plus if i ever had the desire for squish, i was able to get a decent amount.

tl;dr compressors suck.

yea, tricky suckers maybe i will buy an Diamond compressor down the road as well. i have enough rigs...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!