Hello world.

I've kinda, sorta, maybe, possibly, written a tune. I shared it on Facebook with my friends and family, and it seemed to be well received (its just an instrumental piece, BTW. I can't write lyrics for crap). I definitely want to write more songs, but I don't know how to share them, because I don't want to spam everybody's Facebook feeds with my attempts at music composition.

So I came across SoundCloud. But it doesn't say much besides something about 3 hours of storage and sharing your music with the world.

So I wanted to know, before I make a mistake, is SoundCloud any good? Do I need to be extremely careful about copyright infringement and such (i.e. will I get pegged for having a similar chord progression or melodic line as another person's song)? Any pros or cons to SoundCloud?

I'm just curious. It might be fun to put my musical ideas out there so I can get some feedback.
Soundcloud is great.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Pretty sure most musicians use Soundcloud nowadays. Anyway, yeah, it seems like the perfect site for what you're describing. Also if you ever get to the point where you write full albums, check out Bandcamp.
I use soundcloud for storing ideas and quick demos to show people / share things. Bandcamp is where the finished material ends up.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by jeremy.ckwiens
Hello world.

I've kinda, sorta, maybe, possibly, written a tune. I shared it on Facebook with my friends and family, and it seemed to be well received (its just an instrumental piece, BTW. I can't write lyrics for crap). I definitely want to write more songs, but I don't know how to share them, because I don't want to spam everybody's Facebook feeds with my attempts at music composition.

So I came across SoundCloud. But it doesn't say much besides something about 3 hours of storage and sharing your music with the world.

So I wanted to know, before I make a mistake, is SoundCloud any good? Do I need to be extremely careful about copyright infringement and such (i.e. will I get pegged for having a similar chord progression or melodic line as another person's song)? Any pros or cons to SoundCloud?

I'm just curious. It might be fun to put my musical ideas out there so I can get some feedback.

I'm not a lawyer so take what I say with a grain of salt.

With that said, I don't think you need to worry. Most big artists don't want to publicity of them suing a small, local artist. It would make them look like an a-hole and it's not like they're making any less money because of your songs. If it was another small band, then they probably don't have enough money to sue.

Now if you use a similar sound and then get huge off that song, then you may have to settle with them for money made off that song. But that's a good problem to have.
There are no downsides to soundcloud except I'm not sure anyone gets paid

But I'm sure you could've guessed that by now, this is the music industry in 2015 after all.
They can't really sue you if you're not making money off it. At worst they will ask/force you to take down the song if you've uploaded a copy of the original and are claiming that it's your own work.
Covers/remixes/similar sounding songs etc are fair game if you're not trying to take profit away from other artists.
Quote by whywefight
There are no downsides to soundcloud except I'm not sure anyone gets paid

But I'm sure you could've guessed that by now, this is the music industry in 2015 after all.

TBH, over half of the artists of the "old generation" often say in interviews the labels messed them over back in the 70's 80's etc. Music business seems like it always has been shit the more interviews I read.

Bandmembers seem to had 2 choices. Be nice, just make music and risked getting ****ed, or side with the business (money) and **** over your bandmates.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 8, 2015,
For what it is, Soundcloud is pretty sweet.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by jeremy.ckwiens
Hello world.

you wont get slammed for having a similair chord progresson, and the worst they will do when you crab a licenced instrumental is remove the sound you uploaded. you won't get any lawyers knocking at your door.

I use soundcloud to share my covers with people on facebook. what I did was I made a seperate page for people to like where I share my music, and shared it a couple of times on my regular facebook. people started liking my music page and thats where I share my soundcloud links.

Uploading on soundcloud without sharing it won't get people listening, so you still have to share it
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
If you aren't making any money with your music, it doesn't matter if it's a complete rip off. But as people have said, it could be taken down, just like if you upload a Youtube video of a song you don't own the rights to. As long as you don't make any money with it, it doesn't matter.

I think SoundCloud is great. It's an easy way to share your music and a lot of people use it. I have posted some demos of my songs and ideas to SoundCloud.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Everyone saying that SoundCloud is great for demos and rough ideas and Bandcamp is best for finished material are right.
soundcloud is awesome. it doesn't cater to the album format as much as bandcamp does but if u wanna put up a full album of your work put all the songs in a playlist when you upload em.
banned
SoundCloud is good for exposure and to share musical ideas. But don't expect to get paid for it.

ron666