Hello, new to forum. I was looking to buy a new guitar and went to this local guitar shop down town called "the music box". They owner showed me a nice Gretsch guitar for $300 which I really like. I believe it was the Gretsch Duo Jet.

I asked him about this guitar that was given to me when I was 6 years old (20+ years ago). The guitar is a Hagstrom I from 1964. He seemed real excited to see the guitar. The guitar needed new strings and to ve cleaned up and dusted off a bit as its been sitting in a case in my closet for a while. Currently he is doung some work on her for me.

I was looking to possibly sell this guitar and get the Gretsch and have some spending money left over. I've been researching the Hagstron I guitar and they arent easy to find for sale. I found a couple for sale inGermany and Sweden but none in the United States. The one that was in better shape was selling for $1,080 euros which is over $1,300 USD. However the body on that one looked pretty shoddy and was coming apart between the front and back. Mine is in excellent condition. I'll post pics once i get it back Sunday.

My question is this, does anyone have any idea what this guitar is worth? Where would be a good place online to post it for sale (other than eBay).

Thanks guys, rock on.
These guys may be able to help:

http://www.hagstrom-vintage-guitars.se/productssimple1.html

However, one sold on Reverb.com in Nov. 2013 for a little over $600.
https://reverb.com/item/9608-hagstrom-i-1964-ready-to-rock
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
These guys may be able to help:

http://www.hagstrom-vintage-guitars.se/productssimple1.html

However, one sold on Reverb.com in Nov. 2013 for a little over $600.
https://reverb.com/item/9608-hagstrom-i-1964-ready-to-rock

Thanks mate.

Checked out the one on reverb. Seems like he replaced a lot. The tuners arent original and u can see the screw holes. All the parts other than whammy bar on mine is original. Also as you can see on his the vinyl on the back of body splits on the sides. From what i read this is common because the vinyl shrinks over time. Hard to price because condition varies.
I played Hagstom guitars in the late 60's. When first I started playing a Hagstrom 1 was my first decent guitar and later I moved up to a Hagstrom Viking. The Hagstrom 1 was a Strat knock off but it had a very easy to play neck with great action. The trem was terrible but I removed the bar so I wasn't tempted to use it. In the 60's I remember them selling for less than $200.00 new and you could pick up a used one in my neck of the woods (North Jersey) for about $125.00. I gave mine away in the early 70's to a neighbor kid who wanted to learn to play. I wish I had kept it because I have looked for a used one at a reasonable price and can't find one that is even remotely reasonable.

I remember that the necks had two truss rods. Some were made with solid wood and others were vinyl covered mystery wood. I just remeber that I was very happy to own it at the time.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I played Hagstom guitars in the late 60's. When first I started playing a Hagstrom 1 was my first decent guitar and later I moved up to a Hagstrom Viking. The Hagstrom 1 was a Strat knock off but it had a very easy to play neck with great action. The trem was terrible but I removed the bar so I wasn't tempted to use it. In the 60's I remember them selling for less than $200.00 new and you could pick up a used one in my neck of the woods (North Jersey) for about $125.00. I gave mine away in the early 70's to a neighbor kid who wanted to learn to play. I wish I had kept it because I have looked for a used one at a reasonable price and can't find one that is even remotely reasonable.

I remember that the necks had two truss rods. Some were made with solid wood and others were vinyl covered mystery wood. I just remeber that I was very happy to own it at the time.

I was 6 years old when I got my Hagstrom 1. I was with my father who was working. He was putting in a new furnace for someone and I was in the guys house and he had a room in his basement with guitars all on the walls. He saw me looking at them and said to me "pick out any guitar you want and you can have it". Even though it was 20 years ago I still remember what the house looked like and where it is in town. Crazy.