Hi,

I recently (stupidly) started using a bass guitar into my guitar amp but now I think I've destroyed the speakers!

It's a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and when I attempt to play a guitar through it clean, it just sounds horribly distorted.

I was wondering if anyones had this issue before? And would know what the issue is, but more importantly, roughly what sort of price range are we talking to get it fixed (in pounds!)??

Thanks a lot!!
Quote by jacko_17
Hi,

I recently (stupidly) started using a bass guitar into my guitar amp but now I think I've destroyed the speakers!

It's a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and when I attempt to play a guitar through it clean, it just sounds horribly distorted.

i would put money on the speaker being damaged, but it doesn't hurt to check to be sure. if you have another speaker cab sitting around then try it with the deluxe and see if it sounds alright. if the HRD sounds good with the other cab then you isolated the speaker for sure.

Quote by jacko_17
I was wondering if anyones had this issue before? And would know what the issue is, but more importantly, roughly what sort of price range are we talking to get it fixed (in pounds!)??

Thanks a lot!!

bass guitar has a longer throw at lower frequencies, skipping all the details, this causes the speaker to move back and forth farther than the suspension of the speaker can handle (over-excursion), most guitar speakers don't handle this well.

it sounds like there is a pretty good chance you damaged the suspension of the speaker.

you can get a new speaker in the 50 to 80 bps range, depending on what your preferences are. you could also get a re-cone for the speaker which would cost about the same after shipping.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 8, 2015,
Bass and guitar speakers are a no go.

Price depends on which speaker you intend to put in it. They vary.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Have a look at the speakers, see if there's anything noticeably wrong with them (broken suspensions for examples).

It's not a hell of an idea to get guitar speakers fixed if ya ask me, they're not worth that much, and I'm not really sure they make the necessary stuff to repair a speaker.
You might just get new ones...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for your help guys, looks like it's time to invest in a new speaker.

This might be a stupid question but does the speaker make a massive difference to the sound (e.g. tone)? Given that it sounds like they're relatively cheap then I'd assume they wouldn't make that much difference.....

Thanks!
Choice of cab and speaker is just as important as the amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Fair enough, guess I should just go for an exact replacement speaker then unless anyone else has some glittering recommendations....
Quote by jacko_17
Fair enough, guess I should just go for an exact replacement speaker then unless anyone else has some glittering recommendations....

for a hot rod deluxe? i'd personally replace the speaker with a jenson style 12" speaker from weber, something like this:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/chicago12f.htm

or a 50 watt version of this

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/12f150.htm

they have quite a few options though.

you can also go with something british sounding, like the G12M-65 or a weber blue dog. scumbacks sound good, some people like the V30 with the HRD. you could also go another route and stick a JBL style D-120 clone in there or an eminence texas heat or legend.

lot's of options.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 9, 2015,
Quote by gumbilicious
for a hot rod deluxe? i'd personally replace the speaker with a jenson style 12" speaker from weber, something like this:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/chicago12f.htm

or a 50 watt version of this

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/12f150.htm

they have quite a few options though.

you can also go with something british sounding, like the G12M-65 or a weber blue dog. scumbacks sound good, some people like the V30 with the HRD. you could also go another route and stick a JBL style D-120 clone in there or an eminence texas heat or legend.

lot's of options.

Very nice, that jenson style 12" speaker from weber looks mint!!
yeah speakers make a big difference.

i've heard some claims that some of the fender/eminence speakers are more or less eminence legend 1258s. Not sure how true that is, but if you want somethign which is more or less a replacement (and which is a decent speaker and not too dear) that might be worth considering (assuming the rumours are true). but as gumbi says you have tons of options, depending on the exact tone(s) you're after. What type of tone(s) are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah speakers make a big difference.

i've heard some claims that some of the fender/eminence speakers are more or less eminence legend 1258s. Not sure how true that is, but if you want somethign which is more or less a replacement (and which is a decent speaker and not too dear) that might be worth considering (assuming the rumours are true). but as gumbi says you have tons of options, depending on the exact tone(s) you're after. What type of tone(s) are you after?

Ok cool sounds good.

I am open to experimenting, but I prefer quite a lot of clean headroom!
Ok, no worries. Stick to the louder speakers (ones in the high 90s or even into the 100s db/1w/1m- though confounding matters a bit is that eminence is a bit optimistic with the ratings... a 101dB eminence is often no louder than a 98dB celestion, kind of thing ), and stick to the ones which are known to be cleaner-sounding as well (so probably avoid a lot of the celestions, at least the greenback/V30 types... if you do want to go with celestion, consider the less middy ones like the classic lead, G12h30 (probably need the creamback version so you have enough wattage to be safe).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Ok, no worries. Stick to the louder speakers (ones in the high 90s or even into the 100s db/1w/1m- though confounding matters a bit is that eminence is a bit optimistic with the ratings... a 101dB eminence is often no louder than a 98dB celestion, kind of thing ), and stick to the ones which are known to be cleaner-sounding as well (so probably avoid a lot of the celestions, at least the greenback/V30 types... if you do want to go with celestion, consider the less middy ones like the classic lead, G12h30 (probably need the creamback version so you have enough wattage to be safe).

That's great, I've also heard a lot about Weber speakers, is there any specific type I should be looking at?

Also, are there any rules I need to remember when choosing a speaker? Such as matching the ohms to the amp?

As you can tell I'm an amateur when it comes to speakers!

Thanks.
Quote by jacko_17
Hi,

I recently (stupidly) started using a bass guitar into my guitar amp but now I think I've destroyed the speakers

I was wondering if anyones had this issue before?

Naw, someone gave me the proper advice and I followed it.

You might consider buying an Eminence Delta ProA or an EV-L speaker. That way if you have a flashback and decide to try the above just one more time (I've been known to do stupid things twice just to make sure that it really was stupid), you'll be less likely to lunch the speaker.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-pro-12a-12-cast-frame-driver--290-510

Quite lovely guitar speaker, very efficient and pretty much bulletproof against people like you and me.
Quote by jacko_17
That's great, I've also heard a lot about Weber speakers, is there any specific type I should be looking at?

Also, are there any rules I need to remember when choosing a speaker? Such as matching the ohms to the amp?

As you can tell I'm an amateur when it comes to speakers!

Thanks.

I haven't tried any webers. They're meant to be nice, but that's all I know. Most of them are takes on celestion or jensen etc. classic speaker models. But not all.

Yeah there are rules.

Which hotrod deluxe is it? the 1x12 model? What impedance is the speaker in there already?

Basically it needs to be rated for at least 40 watts (your amp's 40 watts, right?), ideally a bit more (especially with eminence since they're a bit optimistic with the wattage ratings, allegedly) and the impedance should be the same as the stock speaker's.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried any webers. They're meant to be nice, but that's all I know. Most of them are takes on celestion or jensen etc. classic speaker models. But not all.

Yeah there are rules.

Which hotrod deluxe is it? the 1x12 model? What impedance is the speaker in there already?

Basically it needs to be rated for at least 40 watts (your amp's 40 watts, right?), ideally a bit more (especially with eminence since they're a bit optimistic with the wattage ratings, allegedly) and the impedance should be the same as the stock speaker's.

Yeh it's the 1 x 12 model. In the manual it says its 40 watts into 4 or 8 ohms.

At the moment, it says the speaker is a 12" 8 ohm Fender Re-issue Gold Label (037617).
yeah. i would probably get an 8 ohm replacement. though fender might be hedging its bets with the stock speaker's impedance to allow it to be paired with an extension cab as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

I checked the Fender Amp Field Guide, it says it's a 8 ohm amp, but they may have made later models not updated on the page that will handle 4 ohm as well. If it currently has an 8 ohm, stick with that.

Speakers can be reconed, if you have a local shop that can and does a good job it's worth it. I'm still running a pair of Emminence 12's in a 1967 Kustom cabinet that were reconed in 1990. I've been running it with a 130 watt Peavey MX all those years...Also have a Utah 12 reconed by the same guy, I finally damaged it after 20 years running it through the MXand several other amps, including my Champ. Reconing does work out well, if it's done by someone who does a good job.

I don't have any recommendations for new speakers, I haven't had to replace one since before I bought the reconed Emminence pair in 1990...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

I checked the Fender Amp Field Guide, it says it's a 8 ohm amp, but they may have made later models not updated on the page that will handle 4 ohm as well. If it currently has an 8 ohm, stick with that.

Speakers can be reconed, if you have a local shop that can and does a good job it's worth it. I'm still running a pair of Emminence 12's in a 1967 Kustom cabinet that were reconed in 1990. I've been running it with a 130 watt Peavey MX all those years...Also have a Utah 12 reconed by the same guy, I finally damaged it after 20 years running it through the MXand several other amps, including my Champ. Reconing does work out well, if it's done by someone who does a good job.

I don't have any recommendations for new speakers, I haven't had to replace one since before I bought the reconed Emminence pair in 1990...

Ok cool cheers for the help. Guess I'll stick with the 8 ohm then as that's what's in the amp at the moment.

Just one final thing before I depart, do you think changing a speaker is an easy job (considering I have no experience in wiring etc!)? Thinking of saving myself a few quid in terms of labour.....

Thanks.
^ It varies. If it's just in a cabinet, it's generally fairly easy. It can be a bit of a pain though if the back gets stuck on, you sort of have to prise it off (and you can easily kill the tolex by doing that).

Some combos are easier than others. Some are more or less the same as swapping in a cabinet, but some you have to take the whole chassis out to get at the speaker. I have a vague recollection of reading that you might have to do that with some of the fenders, but I'm not sure (I haven't done it myself).

FWIW if it uses spade connectors to attach the speaker you won't have to solder.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?