Which is the more versatile guitar? I like to play a lot of styles. 80's funk, Bee Gees, INXS. Which would be the better choice for me?
Both are versatile and have covered that ground well. I lean towards the Strat/Tele these days but played a Dot for many years. Trust your hands and your ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The Dot feels like more of a rockabilly machine to me. Plus, I could never get over that wide body style. The Semi hollow body on the Dot would allow you to play it unamplified to an extent.
As said above they are both pretty versatile, though.
A strat with a humbucker in the bridge would give you a lot of tonal versatility compared to a Dot with 2 humbuckers.
Which one feels better in your hands? That should be the real question for you.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
either could work just fine. the strat may be a bit more versatile. your amp choice may be a bigger key to getting all you want. when you say 80s funk what exactly are you refering to?
Kool and the Gang and that new song by Mak Ronson and Bruno Mars. That kind of stuff.
Those kind of bands probably see a lot more single coil use. Dot's are perfectly fine for funk and R&B styles, though. Really, just go play both and see which one resonates with you the most. The secret to that sound is the compressor, anyway.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Both are good options, try them and see what you prefer if you can, for those options I'd go for SSS but personally I like HSS more.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by thegillv
Which is the more versatile guitar? I like to play a lot of styles. 80's funk, Bee Gees, INXS. Which would be the better choice for me?

In another thread, I pointed out that- while Strats dominate the genre- notable funk players played guitars with singlecoils, P90s, and humbuckers.

I know Strats were the axes of choice for INXS, but again, there were others that got used.

Bee Gees gear I don't know, but from what I know of their music, I bet its Strats.

Long story short, while you could go either way and do just fine, I'd opt for the Strat- personally, the HSS.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 9, 2015,
Probably go for the strat because it has those out of phase sounds in position 2 and 4 that is a great classic R&B funk sound. Gretsch's are pretty good for that too a PRO Jet would cover it good but no out of phase sounds.
I personally like SSS, but for what you're doing, the humbucker would be a good choice.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER