Yes, I already read through the sticky :p

I don't need an expensive interface. I'm still learning, but I want a decent sound as well from my recordings. I've used USB mics and soundcard adapters up until now, blegh. I'd like to try to keep it below $100 USD, but if its just a waste of money below that then I won't bother. :/

I'll use mostly an SM57 to record guitars n such, but I'd like to have a 1/4 input as well. I guess I should also have a phantom power switch. And the standard fair- gain/paid, headphone output, etc.

Here are few I was looking at: http://www.avid.com/US/products/fasttrack-solo#overview http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-itrack-solo-audio-interface-for-ipad-mac-and-pc http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-io2-express-audio-interface

A friend of mine has an AVID and he seems to like it. The Focusrite brand was (kinda) recommended in the sticky. I'm not sure what the Alesis has going for it, but it is low priced. I'm leaning towards the AVID, though it pushes my budget at bit.

Any suggestions? Thanks c:
Quote by Will Lane
A friend of mine has an AVID and he seems to like it.
It's M-audio stuff, it sounds worse than the iTrack solo.
That is, if the iTrack sounds as the 2i4, and I'm not really sure of that.
In any case it sounds bad, I wouldn't get one.
Quote by Will Lane
The Focusrite brand was (kinda) recommended in the sticky.
Damn these people writing stickies not keeping their opinions to themselves.
Oh wait that was me.
I really should pay more attention to what I write in stickies, eh ChemicalFire?

Anyway, the iTrack solo has the same problem as the 2i2 - little input headroom and too much pre gain.
As a result, if you plug a guitar into it directly you'll likely to overload the input.

Cheapest scarlett that solves the problem is the 2i4, which has an input pad, though that costs a bit less than twice the money IIRC.
Quote by Will Lane
I'm not sure what the Alesis has going for it, but it is low priced.
Not much good.
Quote by Will Lane
I'm leaning towards the AVID, though it pushes my budget at bit.
If you really can't spend any more than $100 get the iTrack solo and a simple, external, passive pad.

If you can manage to raise your budget a bit get a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture EX.
About as much money as a 2i4 but much better sounding if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thank you, gracious Spambot, for always being trusty in your replies.

So with "overloading" the ports, would the SM57 micing an amp in the mic port overload the iTrack? I'm not too worried about the 1/4 port, but I'd still like to have it for pianos n' such. I'm really antsy to use my SM57 for everything else though...

If I needed the pad, would a direct box's pad work? I'm planning on getting one as well (Behringer Ultra-G, I like it okay) and it has -20 pads. This would be solely for 1/4 instruments, though. I'd use the SM57 for micable things, and I couldn't use the pad.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 9, 2015,
Spambot you know I only edited what you wrote about the 2i4 in attempt to give a balanced view point that was representative of the forum at large and not just you.

So quityo'bitching
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Will Lane
So with "overloading" the ports, would the SM57 micing an amp in the mic port overload the iTrack?
Nah, that problem arises when you plug a high impendance output to its instrument input.
Most mid to high output guitar and bass p/ups are to hot, hence they overload the input.

The mic and line inputs don't have any problem with that though.
You may want more gain that you can get from a scarlett to power an SM57 if anything, but really only if you're recording pretty quiet sources.

So in short you won't have problems with mic's.
Quote by Will Lane
If I needed the pad, would a direct box's pad work?
Yes, but a cheap DI box will make the thing sound even worse, so I would advise against that.
Quote by Will Lane
I'm planning on getting one as well (Behringer Ultra-G, I like it okay) and it has -20 pads.
Yeah that would work but it will not really sound good if ya ask me.
Not that you care much if you're recording direct guitar, but still.

Anyway, if recording's the reason why you wanna get a DI box, don't get it 'cause it's only useful for looong cable runs, which happen only in live shows really.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Spambot you know I only edited what you wrote about the 2i4 in attempt to give a balanced view point that was representative of the forum at large and not just you.
Very thoughtful of you, considering I wrote the sticky and I asked you to "Please lemme know of the modifications you may wanna make to what I wrote before posting it in the sticky."

Also it doesn't seem the point of view was that balanced considering it seemed to TS that
Quote by Will Lane
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Well if you want to rewrite that section again being more balanced and not just flat out saying the 2i4 is shit (as you're the only one who thinks that.) Then I'll be happy to update the sticky again.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Spambot_2
Anyway, if recording's the reason why you wanna get a DI box, don't get it 'cause it's only useful for looong cable runs, which happen only in live shows really.

Also it doesn't seem the point of view was that balanced considering it seemed to TS that

Oh, nah. I use that DI at my Church, I love the cab sim on it as well. It sounds pretty good to me, and I just want one for my own. Minimal tone-suck while filtering out gross stuff when I can't use an amp. Granted, I don't have much experience with other DI's. If I really need to, I could use midi triggers, which is most likely how I'll do keys now that I think about it. If I need to I can use the 1/4 port, and I could make it work.

Off topic, what does TS mean? I assume it's close to OP. Edit: Found it, "Thread Starter".

Quote by ChemicalFire
Well if you want to rewrite that section again being more balanced and not just flat out saying the 2i4 is shit (as you're the only one who thinks that.) Then I'll be happy to update the sticky again.
O.o
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 9, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
Quote by Will Lane

That'd make it pretty balanced, considering that except yourself nearly everyone else on the forum would recommend the Focusrite units.

To be honest below $100 there's not much worth getting. If I was in your shoes I'd just get one of those unbranded guitar links and save for something nicer. Not to sound like a dick but 9 outta 10 times if that's all the money you can spare for an interface, you probably don't have an amp that's going to sound particularly top notch mic'd up (I could be wrong, but this is often the case). Also learning to properly mic a cab is a rather time consuming process.

If you absolutely have to get something that can do mics and keep it around that budget the only interface I've seen that might be worth getting is the Steinberg CI1, but I've never used it.
^ I just got a ValveKing and I'm slapping a new speaker in soon. I'll make her sound good :p Like I said, I don't need anything professional and expensive. Just something with a good enough sound quality for the price.

By the way, does the USB cable from the AI to the computer make much of a difference with the sound? I imagine it is a lot like guitar cables.
Quote by chatterbox272
That'd make it pretty balanced, considering that except yourself nearly everyone else on the forum would recommend the Focusrite units.
Then "everyone else on the forum" could take part in writing the next sticky instead of cutting out three lines and adding a couple.
Quote by Will Lane
By the way, does the USB cable from the AI to the computer make much of a difference with the sound? I imagine it is a lot like guitar cables.
No, unless the cable's worn it will work just the same as every other non worn cable.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Will Lane
^ I just got a ValveKing and I'm slapping a new speaker in soon. I'll make her sound good :p Like I said, I don't need anything professional and expensive. Just something with a good enough sound quality for the price.

If you're just after good value for money then you're probably best off with those guitar links unless you really want to use your amp (Although that is better than I was expecting). The quality of those with an amp sim is pretty much as good as any interface under $200 IMO, they just lack the flexibility of multiple inputs, mics, etc.

And no, USB is a digital signal so as long as the connection's there it will be as good as is possible. Digital signals don't suffer degradation like analogue signals do.