I'm currently have a '93 Fender Blues Deville that I've had for over a year and I love the sound from anything from pure cleans to heavy rock tones if I use a pedal. More over the last 4-5 months ive been getting into paying heavier stuff such as shadows fall, lamb of god, gojira.

I use a Boss ME-50 multi effect pedal and use the MT-2 distortion pedal sim (no idea which pedal this is meant to be) through my blues deville and personally I like the tone. I tried out a 6505 combo and a tiny terror through a marshall 4x12 recently at a shop and I fealt my amp with the pedal sounded as good (i know im not meant to but i did lol).

My problem is, even though I like the sound, its not very tight at all. Its a big warm sound but when I play palm muted tight chugging riffs, my crappy solid state laney tf300 sounds closer to the sound Im wanting.

I am thinking its possibly the open back and vintage style speakers. I have been playing with the idea of a 6505 combo (i know i said i liked my setup as much, but i figured a closed back 60w 6505 would be great at higher volumes with my bad monkey infront). Recently I have been thinking that if i got the 6505 combo, the weight of it would put me off transporting it anywhere, and eventually I would want a 212 cab and head.

Soooo, ive been looking at a harley benton 212 from thomann http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

I will then be able to get a head in 2016 or sometime if I like.

My question is, will this cab work with my fender blues deville? It has 2x8ohm spekaers and the manual says 60watts into 4ohms at 5% THD.
yeah it's going to be a mismatch I think. Some mismatches are safe but I can never remember which. But it's safer not to run a mismatch if in doubt.

I wouldn't, in other words.

i'm guessing the mt2 model on your me50 is a model of the boss mt2 metal zone distortion pedal
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
check the speaker itself in your amp. it should be a 16 ohm speaker if i'm not mistaken. if this is the case the the 2x12 @8 ohm each is fine as that adds up to 16 total.
Quote by monwobobbo
check the speaker itself in your amp. it should be a 16 ohm speaker if i'm not mistaken. if this is the case the the 2x12 @8 ohm each is fine as that adds up to 16 total.

That's if it's wired in series, right? If it is parallel you'd be at 4 ohms. I couldn't see how the cab was wired on the site.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
That's if it's wired in series, right? I couldn't see how the cab was wired.

yes
Quote by Will Lane
That's if it's wired in series, right? If it is parallel you'd be at 4 ohms. I couldn't see how the cab was wired on the site.

Well the manual says the amp outputs 60w at 4ohms, so I guess the speakers are in parallel.

The Harley Benton cab is quoted at 120watts/8ohm in mono mode and 2x 60watts/16ohm in stereo, so Im guessing theres 2 8ohm speakers inside.

If I hooked up my amp to that cab what would happen? I assume the amp wouldn't receive as much current, and would not be as loud?
Quote by lodgi

My problem is, even though I like the sound, its not very tight at all. Its a big warm sound but when I play palm muted tight chugging riffs, my crappy solid state laney tf300 sounds closer to the sound Im wanting.

Going our on a limb here since I don't have a complete picture of your gear, but I'd be willing to bet that you really can't get that modern metal sound without running a TS in front of an amp that has a high gain channel in the amp (not from a pedal). Active pickups also help.
wow, there is some confusing stuff going on here.

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Blues_DeVille_manual.pdf

the manual for the deville says the amp's internal speaker is 8 ohm and it expects an external cabinet at 8 ohms (when a cab is plugged into the external jack then the amp's impedance drops to 4 ohms, which facilitates two 8 ohm cabs in parallel).

the HB 2x12 claims: "120watts/8ohm, 2x 60watts/16ohm, mono/stereo". so if this is a 2x12 cabinet then that would mean it has two 16 ohm speaker wired in parallel to provide a total load of 8 ohms.

so basically: yes, the HB cab is compatible with the deville. you can either run the HB 2x12 as such:

1) through the extension cab output, this would run the 2x12 and the native speakers at the same time.

2) or you can unplug the native speakers and plug the HB cab in there. this would only run the HB cab and the native speakers wouldn't play at all.

either of those two options are acceptable. do NOT unplug the native speakers and then plug the HB through the 'external' jack, this would not be acceptable.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 9, 2015,
Quote by gumbilicious

the manual for the deville says the amp's internal speaker is 8 ohm and it expects an external cabinet at 8 ohms (when a cab is plugged into the external jack then the amp's impedance drops to 4 ohms, which facilitates two 8 ohm cabs in parallel).

the HB 2x12 claims: "120watts/8ohm, 2x 60watts/16ohm, mono/stereo". so if this is a 2x12 cabinet then that would mean it has two 16 ohm speaker wired in parallel to provide a total load of 8 ohms.

so basically: yes, the HB cab is compatible with the deville. you can either run the HB 2x12 as such:

1) through the extension cab output, this would run the 2x12 and the native speakers at the same time.

2) or you can unplug the native speakers and plug the HB cab in there. this would only run the HB cab and the native speakers wouldn't play at all.

either of those two options are acceptable. do NOT unplug the native speakers and then plug the HB through the 'external' jack, this would not be acceptable.

Thanks for that, think I'll get that cab then. @£160 it seems a good deal, and if I don't get the sound I want from the deville through the cab then I will be getting a head at some point anyway so I will need a cab then anyway. A win win answer really.
Quote by Jeffh40
Going our on a limb here since I don't have a complete picture of your gear, but I'd be willing to bet that you really can't get that modern metal sound without running a TS in front of an amp that has a high gain channel in the amp (not from a pedal). Active pickups also help.

Well I know that's the line of thinking most people seem to have, its just when I tried out a 6505 combo, I wasn't blown away by the sound. To be fair, I didn't crank it or use a boost with it, and I used a strat in the shop where I tested it.

I now have a 2014 Ibanez 655 with a DiMarzio tone zone in the bridge. I tried out some EMG equipped guitars when I bought this Ibanez and didn't like the sound when I tried them through a Laney Ironheart head and matching 4x12 cab, I much preferred the passive sound.
Quote by gumbilicious

according to the manual it says the 2x12 deville needs to be used with a 4 ohm extension cabinet. Now, maybe the mismatch is safe. But I agree with you, the manual is frigging confusing. You know it's bad when you have people who (sort of, in my case) know what they're talking about who are confused by the so-called "instructions".

and yeah the HB cab has two 16 ohm speakers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
according to the manual it says the 2x12 deville needs to be used with a 4 ohm extension cabinet. Now, maybe the mismatch is safe. But I agree with you, the manual is frigging confusing. You know it's bad when you have people who (sort of, in my case) know what they're talking about who are confused by the so-called "instructions".

and yeah the HB cab has two 16 ohm speakers.

yeah, in the introduction it states the external speaker jack is for hooking up an 8 ohm cab, but in the back it says the 2x12 and the 4x10 have different requirements.

so i take it that he has the 2x12 version?

well shit, i apologize for the false information. feel like an ass now.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 9, 2015,
no worries the manual was really badly-written. kind of annoying that they're trying to prevent accidentally using the wrong impedance and actually make it more likely with incompetent writing

I didn't even think to look up the old manuals (until you posted the link), i forgot they were there. I just sort of looked up the existing hot-rods on the fender site
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im lost now. Is the cab comptatible with the blues deville (212 btw) using it as a standalone speaker (not the extension)?

Does my amp require 4ohms as the main speaker out? The manual seems to say so but im not sure. It says I have 2x 8 ohm speakers and it outputs 60watts into 4ohms, so I assume their in parralel.

Im still a bit lost as to whether I can use the cab.
yeah it sounds like it's going to be a mismatch. it sounds like your amp is 4 ohms with the internal speakers (as you said, wired in parallel) but it can take a second 4 ohm extension cab.

Now, the mismatch might be safe enough, but that's getting beyond my pay grade. I generally match impedances as a general rule.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?