Page 1 of 2
Is there a summary guide or reviews to what is out there, what to avoid, and what the underdogs are? Experienced dealers know, I don't.

Heres an example: A real Gibson 335 at $2K vs say an Epiphone Dot series. Are they essentially the same? What is a good value?

How about a 1979 Norlin music version of a Gibson Hummingbird vs a 1960s or 1990s version? What to watch out for? what to buy.

Is there a list of "buy" guitars, like stock ratings or better yet dont buy?

What set of acoustics and electrics would you pick to cover a wide range of sound and yet get good quality equipment?

Yea, subjective questions maybe but how much is just name and hype when less $ really does get you say 90% there? (discounting resale value)

thanks for any advice
"The truth about guitars"
Quote by bruce em
Yea, subjective questions maybe

Thread fail
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by bruce em
Is there a summary guide or reviews to what is out there, what to avoid, and what the underdogs are? Experienced dealers know, I don't.

Heres an example: A real Gibson 335 at $2K vs say an Epiphone Dot series. Are they essentially the same? What is a good value?

How about a 1979 Norlin music version of a Gibson Hummingbird vs a 1960s or 1990s version? What to watch out for? what to buy.

What set of acoustics and electrics would you pick to cover a wide range of sound and yet get good quality equipment?

Yea, subjective questions maybe but how much is just name and hype when less $ really does get you say 90% there? (discounting resale value)

thanks for any advice

way to many generalizations to give any kind of specific answer to. guitars aren't like stocks. if you like one then it is for you. someone else may not like it at all. it's up to you.
I don't understand the point of this thread?

Are you asking about reviews? There's plenty of reviews and comparisons on the internet.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by bruce em
specific questions were posed. Thoughts? Thanks !

I don't think you can really blame anybody for not answering your questions because the thread itself is so poorly thought out.

Your thread lacks any rhyme or reason for asking the questions you're asking. All you've mentioned is 'the truth about guitars', but thats a very, very vague statement. And in many facets of guitar playing, there is no such thing as a single objective 'truth'. Most of it is down to whatever makes you happy.

If you're not going to make any effort as to define why you're asking, then you can't expect us to answer them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't know why people are making a fuss over a perfectly reasonable request.

To the OP: Doesn't look like there such a list here, nor people seem to be willing to help. You'll have to keep doing research. Check out the thread "In your opinion - what is a professional quality guitar?" Spend some time here and you'll discover all sorts of obscure and interesting brands that may offer some pretty good deals or learn about problematic guitars as well.
It's not a really bad question but the OP answered it himself. It's very subjective. Each person has different values that they think is important for their style of playing. On this forum you can get almost any opinion. there are people who are convinced that anything less than a $2,000 guitar can't be good and people who are of the opinion that thier $250.00 (insert brand name) is just as good. Depending your skill level, experience and expectations, there is no wrong answer.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 9, 2015,
Nobody's foolish enough to try to write out a clear-cut list of 'good guitars' and 'bad guitars.' Well, not since Ed Roman died, anyway, and his list was just "mine are good, everything else is crap."

This is like any other skill. You're excited about it, you want to know more, but you don't want to put the actual time and effort into it that it requires because you've just discovered it and two things have happened: 1. You want to move fast, because you're excited; and 2. You have no idea how complicated it is, because the only thing you know about it so far is that you're interested.

You're not going to get a good answer because the question simplifies the issue too much to be useful. If you were trying to learn how to play guitar, you would not make one thread asking for someone to tell you how to play the guitar, and certainly not one asking for someone to "write you a quick guide so you can start playing like a pro tomorrow." You have to learn, preferably from a lot of sources, and find your own way. Same thing here. It's slower and more work than you wanted, but the only way to do it right is to educate yourself by experiencing and reading and listening.

If this question were answerable, we'd just post a big sticky about it and close this entire forum. The reason we are here talking about it every day is that it's a massive and complicated topic and things need to be taken individually, in context. There's no one-size-fits-all answer like you asked for.
Quote by dthmtl3
I don't know why people are making a fuss over a perfectly reasonable request.

we fuss over everything.

it's what we do.
Just because it's "subjective" doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be answered. Nobody is demanding objective answers but for some reason people here think that a "subjective" answer is less of an answer than an "objective" one which they then go on and say is impossible to provide anyway. Plus every other thread has to go over this stuff. It should be clear by now that those of us who ask questions here are looking precisely for the "subjective" answers from the community. That's all.

A guitar shopping guide sticky wouldn't be a bad idea. And no, it wouldn't be the end of the forum. It's not like the guitar world is done and settled. There are developments and regressions at times too. And new members are joining regularly to enrich discussions.
Quote by gregs1020
we fuss over everything.

it's what we do.

I can tell. Unfortunately too often the fuss is not about the matter at issue but about undermining people's questions and answers on what some claim are mistakes in logic.
These threads, and more like them are already available as sticky on the front page of the Electric Guitar forum. They pretty much boil down to what the other replies were saying.
Quote by Roc8995
Nobody's foolish enough to try to write out a clear-cut list of 'good guitars' and 'bad guitars.' Well, not since Ed Roman died, anyway, and his list was just "mine are good, everything else is crap."

You're not going to get a good answer because the question simplifies the issue too much to be useful.

If this question were answerable, we'd just post a big sticky about it and close this entire forum. The reason we are here talking about it every day is that it's a massive and complicated topic and things need to be taken individually, in context. There's no one-size-fits-all answer like you asked for.

Boom
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by bruce em

thanks for any advice

Whatever feels right to you! It is all about finding that! It is not about price or quality as much.

Is a expensive Gibson the desire for you to make the music you want or is it a defective Stratocaster copy that can be fixed and works amazing for you??

That is the truth. Whatever works in terms of gear to you nothing else and you will have to find out yourself.
Quote by Roc8995

Haha, that made my day!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by dthmtl3
Just because it's "subjective" doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be answered. Nobody is demanding objective answers but for some reason people here think that a "subjective" answer is less of an answer than an "objective" one which they then go on and say is impossible to provide anyway. Plus every other thread has to go over this stuff. It should be clear by now that those of us who ask questions here are looking precisely for the "subjective" answers from the community. That's all.

A guitar shopping guide sticky wouldn't be a bad idea. And no, it wouldn't be the end of the forum. It's not like the guitar world is done and settled. There are developments and regressions at times too. And new members are joining regularly to enrich discussions.

I think it's an absolutely fine question too (though I also agree with the other regulars that it's complicated).

I don't think it's entirely subjective, I think there are definite objective things about it (build quality and quality of parts and the like), but at the same time the subjective stuff is so important that it sort of intertwines with the objective stuff (and arguably maybe even overrides it). E.g. a fender custom shop strat is better than a squier bullet strat (comparing like with like), but someone who hates les pauls might personally/subjectively prefer an MIM fender strat to a custom shop gibson les paul. Etc.

I think we already have stickies along those lines. They're not perfect by a long shot, but they're an absolute pain in the ass to compile and put together. And then when you do hardly anyone reads them. And they're almost out of date once posted anyway since new stuff comes along too much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 9, 2015,
The subjectivity isn't the issue. The reason that we are so loathe to try to answer the question is that it subverts the entire point of having the knowledge base here that we do. There are plenty of blog posts out there claiming to answer this very question, but they're almost all crappy, selling something, or totally wrong. Willingness to answer the question is usually indicative of a shoddy response - anyone who thinks the question can be answered all in one place probably does not understand it very well.

This is why we ask for specific questions, and bug people to give us as much information as they can about their wants, needs, goals, budget, location, etc. The whole point of a community knowledge base is to bring lots of opinions and experience to each question. Short answers to tough questions are cheap and shiny. They're only satisfying to those who prefer wrong answers to no answer.
Quote by Roc8995
The subjectivity isn't the issue. The reason that we are so loathe to try to answer the question is that it subverts the entire point of having the knowledge base here that we do. There are plenty of blog posts out there claiming to answer this very question, but they're almost all crappy, selling something, or totally wrong. Willingness to answer the question is usually indicative of a shoddy response - anyone who thinks the question can be answered all in one place probably does not understand it very well.

This is why we ask for specific questions, and bug people to give us as much information as they can about their wants, needs, goals, budget, location, etc. The whole point of a community knowledge base is to bring lots of opinions and experience to each question. Short answers to tough questions are cheap and shiny. They're only satisfying to those who prefer wrong answers to no answer.

Bingo
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't think it's entirely subjective either. We're not talking politics or religion here. We are talking about objects (guitars) and it should be possible to say something "objective" about them without getting all emotional.

A question such as "what are the underdogs" is actually a very good question. How many folks out there think that the guitar world is limited to what the large music chains carry and have no idea of other brands out there, some of which offer good products at good prices but have no giant marketing budget.

The way I see it, if a question is somehow "offensive" for whatever reason, I don't answer it, it's that simple. Others might not have an issue with it and they can deal with it. Or an answer might start with questions for more clarification, as was pointed out. An honest question is a good question. If someone comes here to ask it, it's because a whole lot of people out there have the same question. It's the belittling of questions that subverts resources like this site--by driving people away. Consider how many people read these threads versus how few people (usually the same ones) participate. It's unfortunately all too common in forums that the inner circle thinks it has to be all about them, and make it hard on the uninitiated.
I don't think asking for more information so we can give an informed response is in any way making it "all about us." I don't think that ignoring a question is a good way to engage people who are trying to learn. I think that telling someone why their question is tough to answer is a good way to help people educate themselves, and I think that you're trying a bit too hard to find offense here where none is meant.

I think you're doing exactly what I said was the problem earlier. You're oversimplifying. The choices do not have to be between shutting up and answering the question. If the question is lacking, there's merit in addressing it.

We have gobs of threads about 'value brands' and 'good buys' and 'sleeper guitars.' There's a big difference between asking for good tips on strat copies and the question that was asked here.
^ Agreed.

Quote by Roc8995

I agree with all of that.

That being said, I think though that it can be answered, at least up to a certain level (to help beginners, say), so that they're not flailing about in the dark either. Much like the current stickies, and the stickies in other forums like the bass forum for example. I guess my point is that saying, "It's complicated, it's a crap question [to clarify, I'm not saying you said this, I was paraphrasing some of the other responses]" isn't much more help than no answer (though certainly more help than the wrong answer, as you rightly pointed out) and it strikes me as being a bit of a cop-out. I always work on the basis that there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

The other thing is that if we don't try to answer it (or answer it rudely or abruptly as some have done in here) is that people will likely go to those other crappier sources you mentioned. That's not entirely (or even mostly) our fault, but still worth bearing in mind.

I guess what I'm saying is giving people enough info that they can start to learn for themselves or help themselves is a good start. But then that's probably not what you're arguing against and we're probably talking somewhat at cross purposes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, that's the issue, isn't it? The threadstarter and dthmtl3 clearly have not taken a look at the stickies. If they had, they would have found not only a guitar buying guide, but a guide to getting good suggestions from the community. Perhaps I'm to blame for some of that, I keep meaning to improve the stickies list, but the information is there for those who look.

I think you'll find that in my "not a useful question" posts I did say specifically that we ask for far more information to help people, which was an invitation to try a different question that would yield better results. I'd like to think that's more "answering a question with another question" than "refusing to answer the question entirely" but I guess technically I did not fall in line and just list some nice guitars that I like.

My posts were mainly in response to dthmetl3, though, who seemed offended by our lack of response (or the response that was requested, anyway) but was not willing to provide his own.

So, yes, I could have just closed the thread and suggested a quick read of the stickies and a new thread with more specific questions. I usually do that, but this time it provided an opportunity to talk about our process, and why these sorts of questions tend not to go anywhere. dthmtl3 seems to think that it's because we're jerks, but I think it's for other reasons. Maybe it's a bit of both, but there are certainly more reasons for the responses we've had than that we're all just terrible people.
There's a "who to listen to" list in the sticky to help combat that. Seems like the answer keeps coming back to the stickies.
Quote by Roc8995
(a) Well, that's the issue, isn't it? The threadstarter and dthmtl3 clearly have not taken a look at the stickies. If they had, they would have found not only a guitar buying guide, but a guide to getting good suggestions from the community. Perhaps I'm to blame for some of that, I keep meaning to improve the stickies list, but the information is there for those who look.

(b) I think you'll find that in my "not a useful question" posts I did say specifically that we ask for far more information to help people, which was an invitation to maybe get the question right the second time around. I'd like to think that's more "answering a question with another question" than "refusing to answer the question" but I guess technically I did not fall in line and just list some nice guitars that I like.

(c) My posts were mainly in response to dthmetl3, though, who seemed offended by our lack of response (or the response that was requested, anyway) but was not willing to provide his own.

(d) So, yes, I could have just closed the thread and suggested a quick read of the stickies and a new thread with more specific questions. I usually do that, but this time it provided an opportunity to talk about our process, and why these sorts of questions tend not to go anywhere. dthmtl3 seems to think that it's because we're jerks, but I think it's for other reasons. (e) Maybe it's a bit of both, but it's a good discussion to have.

(a) No more to blame than me, I'm terrible at getting round to writing these (supposedly ) new and improved stickies

(b) Absolutely, as I said, my response was more to the people who hadn't elaborated anywhere near as much as you did. I agree with you, if the question isn't useful it's much better to answer with a question. I do that all the time.

(c) Yep, no worries.

(d) FWIW I'd prefer you left it open. I prefer the discussion. Closing the thing can sometimes just give more ammo to the people who think we're jerks (and also prevents constructive debate).

(e) agreed

(you edited this bit after I posted)

Quote by Roc8995
Maybe it's a bit of both, but there are certainly more reasons for the responses we've had than that we're all just terrible people.

Of course- but to an outsider (i.e. not a regular) that's not always obvious. Recently I've sort of gone into some of the other forums (like Musician Talk) and it's kind of opened my eyes that things that appear to be perfectly acceptable and reasonable behaviour to the regulars can appear to be pretty rude to a new forumite. I've used this analogy before, but it's like when you go into a shop and the shop assistant is a dick to you. You don't know that the last 15 customers asked the same (possibly stupid, possibly not) question, all you see is what appears to be a kind of rude/negative (and from your perspective, uncalled-for) response to what should be a pretty neutral situation.

That's all I'm saying. (And again, I'm not talking about your response, I mean some of the other ones.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get outta here with your levelheaded responses and your organized posting structure.

Edit: I agree, it's tough to know how new users perceive the community, and while that's a separate issue from the question in this thread, we could use more feedback in that area. I've got some plans for that, though as with most administrative things around here who knows when they'll see light.

P.S. Let me know if you want help with the buying guide, or want to merge it with something like this thread for a wider look at the market.
^ LOL

check my edit too- I think that's the main thrust of my entire argument. I think.

I'm not sure if I'm much use with the buying guide- I'm a bit out of the loop with a lot of the newer stuff. The stuff I was writing was more in-general stuff. But that's a very good idea, didn't you have something along those lines in a recent thread? Makes sense to have it out in the open for the bigger brands.

It's just hit me that a similar thing for Ibanez, Jackson and ESP (maybe even Charvel) would probably work as well- since they have a similar structure in regards to models, where they're made etc. I guess I could have a shot at a bit of that, but don't hold your breath (and I'd probably need some help too, as I said I'm a bit out of the loop).

EDIT: holy *&$£! That's been up since 2012? I am out of the loop!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would take one of your questions from the list and ask that like who are the underdogs of the guitar world etc. Then you will get a better response.

I will offer one bit of wisdom. As a geezer I remember the 80's and the kind of cheap guitars available then and right now 300 dollars will buy you more guitar even not adjusted for inflation. in 86 I paid 350$ for a basic Squier tele. (not not adjusted for inflation) now you can get the same guitar for quite a bit less and it will be better made. Back then student guitars were made with plywood particle board would not intonate had neck issues you name it.

So I will just say cheap[er guitars are much better now then they were in the past. Look at soem other threads and gather your information.
Quote by bruce em
Is there a summary guide or reviews to what is out there, what to avoid, and what the underdogs are?

(Edit)

As you may have gathered at this point, not really. Experience and opinion are the guidestars in this realm.

Experience tells us that guitars made in certain countries tend to be better made (quality parts, quality control) than those from other countries*, but there's no guarantee that will be true of a particular guitar in front of you because anyone can make a lemon or a gem.

Some things are still common sense, though- you don't cheap out on complex mechanical systems. You wouldn't buy a car with cheap brakes, right? Don't buy a guitar with a cheap tremolo system. In each case, while they may work just fine, IF they fail, it will be a painful and costly experience.

Right now, there are so many companies making guitars- GOOD ones- out there that anyone you ask will be able to give you a different list.

* Roughly:
Top tier: USA, Canada, Japan, UK. Germany, Australia, NZ
Second tier: Mexico, the rest of Europe, South Korea
Third tier: Indonesia, China, everywhere else

but again, this is a rough list- there are South Korean guitars being made as well as those in Japan, several Indonesian guitar companies or product lines competing favorably with South Koreans...and guitars made in America that are utter crap.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ I'd put france easily in the top tier for stuff like vigier and (I assume, I've only tried the cheaper ones) lag. Even the czech republic too (based on very limited experience). i'd put "western europe", at very least, in the top tier. probably the handiest way to do it.

but that's probably defeating the whole point of the answers to the thread, that you shouldn't overgeneralise

Quote by Roc8995

Edit: I agree, it's tough to know how new users perceive the community, and while that's a separate issue from the question in this thread, we could use more feedback in that area. I've got some plans for that, though as with most administrative things around here who knows when they'll see light.

(and no worries, I'm well aware of how long things can take around here )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I almost got the impression with the stock analogy that the OP was looking for a blue book, perhaps with the intent to buy and flip guitars like a speculator but something about the tone said troll to me. Not saying he was, but just the wording was somewhat reminiscent of it to me. Granted, it's damned near impossible to pick up inflection from text. By the time I saw this thread there was already most of a page of responses and the insistence on an answer seemed a bit demanding. Personally, I don't flip instruments so given my assumption I refrained from commenting as I can't identify with that point of view and probably can't speak in like terms.

I don't think the requests for more info were unreasonable. Yes, there was some editorializing, but you don't get to make demands of people when you are asking for their help. You take the help they offer or you go to someone else who treats you better. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound harsh here, but it's the way it is. The difference when you go into a shop/bar whatever, is that you're a paying customer and the people you're asking are paid employees and everyone is dealing face to face. Society kind of says we need to be nice to each other or someone gets punched in the mouth. Out here, people can type whatever they want. Some are brash, some are helpful, and some don't care either way. And all of them have good and bad days and no one's fist will fit through an Ethernet cable so that risk that keeps people polite more often than not isn't there.

Taking out my prejudices, and personal slant for a moment, the original post amounted to "what's a good guitar? What bad guitars should I avoid?" I've read some of the stickies, I'm guilty of not having read them all, but they're quite clear up front about the need to provide some basic info such as desired playing style, budget, etc when asking for recommendations. That information was readily and openly available. I would FULLY expect to have been referred to them, had I asked the question myself.

And amusingly enough, right after I posted, I read this thread next. I don't need to post there as I don't have anything useful to add, but I think this is how this sort of conversation goes when it goes more smoothly

What guitar? example
Last edited by Hydra26 at Jan 9, 2015,
Isn't Mayones Polish and they make some awesome guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I'd put france easily in the top tier for stuff like vigier and (I assume, I've only tried the cheaper ones) lag. Even the czech republic too (based on very limited experience). i'd put "western europe", at very least, in the top tier. probably the handiest way to do it.

but that's probably defeating the whole point of the answers to the thread, that you shouldn't overgeneralise

(and no worries, I'm well aware of how long things can take around here )

Danny should have put his top tier in alphabetical order. - Just kidding.

Let' s not forget that Spain still has some to the absolutely best luthiers in the world.
^ yeah

Quote by Robbgnarly
Isn't Mayones Polish and they make some awesome guitars.

yeah i think so. i haven't tried them but they have a good rep (i think, anyway).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And thankfully, the posters after me ably and aptly illustrated the folly of a general list!

I AM embarrassed about excluding France- after all, I have a Vigier Surfreter on my G.A.S. list, and know about Lag, Nicole and others.

Poland and the Czechs have RAN and Mayones, respectively, but I don't know about the rest.

Italy is a mixed bag, with makers in all 3 tiers.

I know Spain has excellent luthiers, but as I recall, most make Classical and other acoustics, which is kind of a different thing. Similarly, the city of Paracho - the City of Guitars- in Mexico has makers of classical and acoustic guitars ranging from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars in price. Deservedly.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 9, 2015,
And the UK doesn't have many builders I know of except Palm Bay, Serpentine, Daemoness, Waghorn, Tom Anderson and JHG guitars.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Page 1 of 2