So I recently purchased a tele esquire with a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder, and today while jamming with the band (I'm lead guitar) I was overpowering with my low end, but my high end got lost in the mix, I'm not too knowledgeable about pickups, and I'm not sure if this is just how the pickup is, or if there is a way to fix it
It is a bit how the pup is. I used to run one in my tele. Before you toss it, try simply increasing the value of your pots. Start by doubling it and go from there. They're not expensive.

This is the bridge pup we're talking about, yes?

Edit: Esquire They only have one pup. You've got one yourself, idiot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
It is a bit how the pup is. I used to run one in my tele. Before you toss it, try simply increasing the value of your pots. Start by doubling it and go from there. They're not expensive.

Yeah the bridge, I'll give that a shot, any other advice?
Not really, they're a pretty solid pickup. Is it a tapped one? Check when you swap out the pots. If you can wire in a tap switch, do it. Them there's where the top end really is. Mine wasn't tapped, some are.
You may want to play with the tone capacitor value too. Again, pretty damn cheap. But you can do that later, if the tone knob is up full the capacitor is doing shit all. Get the pots right first.

And use good pots; Bourn, ALPS, CTS, even Alpha. Stay away from Chinese knock-offs.

Edit: But not ALPS Blue Velvets, they won't fit. Normal bodied ones are what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 8, 2015,
Yep, a very heavy sounding bridge PU. Before swapping parts, try just rolling off the bass on your amp when using this axe. Maybe all you need is a little EQ tuning to find your tone. It has a pretty big bite when you get it dialed in.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Agreed. Spend some time dialling it in on the amp first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
pick up an EQ pedal, and only engage it with the Esquire, leaving it off with other pedals which go straight through.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A gadget? Seriously? They're a good pickup, it all just needs to be set up correctly. Sure, add an EQ as an effect as well - but to cover a setup flaw?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are the strings old or new? if you haven't changed them since purchasing it give that a go.
---
Quote by Cathbard

Edit: Esquire They only have one pup. You've got one yourself, idiot.

So I tried upping the volume to a 500k, I've been reading online it pairs well with the QP, I'm not sure if Ive messed up on the wiring, this isn't the first time I've worked on a guitar, but I'm getting popping when touching the strings as well as a complete cut out of sound other than buzz at around 8 on the volume
You've broken the earth connection to the bridge - at least.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You've broken the earth connection to the bridge - at least.

So a quick re soldering of that should be the trick?
It should fix the popping when touching the strings, yeah. However, it also sounds like the pot is faulty. Fix the earth first and proceed from there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It should fix the popping when touching the strings, yeah. However, it also sounds like the pot is faulty. Fix the earth first and proceed from there.

So the loss of sound would mean the pot is faulty? Makes sense, thank you
you could test the pot for the ohm read. outer outer to center and rotate, one way its going to be 0-500 or vice versa, just depending which side you put the probe the other way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/