Hey there guys! I'm new here, so thank you for having me

Well, the thing is that I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now, using a normal (right handed) guitar. Yet I'm naturally lefty which, especially when I was just starting, hindered my learning of the instrument. Right now I'm a medium level guitar player and I have a level of technique that, even though is not that much, I can really feel comfortable with to keep learning and getting better. The main problem is that my hands always feel "awkward", like if they were doing the whole thing backwards. I picked up a lefty guitar once and I felt really comfortable, it feels more "normal" to me (although I didn't play anything right of course). So, I've been thinking about learning all again from the start, but with a lefty guitar, losing all the progress that I achieved till now, for the sake of feeling more comfortable with my hands.
What are your thoughts? Should I? Shouldn't I? I've been searching this in Google and nothing matched my case, so I ask here.

(Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language)

Thank you so much guys, cheers!
Never Scoop Mids
If I was in your position, the only things concerning me would be finance and my collection. If you are able to buy a left handed guitar and possibly abandon your others I'd say go for it.
I just wanna mention that my favorite guitar player, who is in my opinion one of the best blues guitar players, who has a VERY fluid way of playing is a lefty who learned right hand guitar.
Hello,

Ultimately, you have to do what feels best for you. I am also left handed but have been playing right handed guitar for 33 years. It wasn't by design, I was 10 years old and given a guitar so I played it.

I think being left handed was a benefit when I started out. Playing a "right handed guitar", your left hand (dominate hand) is on the fret board doing the more intricate movements of the two hands - unless you play classical or flamenco styles. And your less developed hand just has to be trained to go up and down in different combinations. I actually encourage my left handed students to try so called right handed guitars if they are just starting out.

I don't really like to nerd out on public forums because it always sounds pretentious so if you'd like to talk about this more send me a private message. Don't worry, I don't teach online and I have nothing to sell you.
Quote by clocks2
Hey there guys! I'm new here, so thank you for having me

Well, the thing is that I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now, using a normal (right handed) guitar. Yet I'm naturally lefty which, especially when I was just starting, hindered my learning of the instrument. Right now I'm a medium level guitar player and I have a level of technique that, even though is not that much, I can really feel comfortable with to keep learning and getting better. The main problem is that my hands always feel "awkward", like if they were doing the whole thing backwards. I picked up a lefty guitar once and I felt really comfortable, it feels more "normal" to me (although I didn't play anything right of course). So, I've been thinking about learning all again from the start, but with a lefty guitar, losing all the progress that I achieved till now, for the sake of feeling more comfortable with my hands.
What are your thoughts? Should I? Shouldn't I? I've been searching this in Google and nothing matched my case, so I ask here.

(Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language)

Thank you so much guys, cheers!

I think it would be a huge mistake to start over - because switching the guitar around is effectively starting from scratch.
Switching over certainly won't be like starting from scratch. You will still have everything in your head, it's translating the techniques to your hands that takes time. If it was like that when you started out, everyone would have a lot easier to learn the instrument.

However, I'm left handed and have played "righty" for the past 8 years or so. I know no right handed players that are more proficient players than me, so it doesn't seem like I have that much of a disadvantage.

It makes no sense at all to have left-handed guitars. You see them for sale, but have anyone ever given you a satisfying explanation as to why right-handed and left-handed instruments are the way they are? I have never seen one. They just are.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
IMO, it would depend on your degree of handedness. This varies from complete ambidexterity to very strong-handed, either left or right - in the sense of dexterity, not physical strength. If your handedness is strong, you might be better off changing, but if you can use either hand reasonably well for many tasks, then you are probably better off sticking with what for you is apparently wrong-handedness.
I am a lefty who has been playing "right handed" for my whole playing career (20+ years).

At no point did I ever consider this to be a detriment to my playing -- and in fact, the reason I chose to play "righty" was so my "good" hand would be on the fretboard; which in my opinion has a more complicated task.

I wouldn't switch now if I were you, as I don't believe there would be any benefit to it. It's not like any way feels normal at first, and it takes two hands that are skilled and working together, not just one.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I am a lefty who has been playing "right handed" for my whole playing career (20+ years).

At no point did I ever consider this to be a detriment to my playing -- and in fact, the reason I chose to play "righty" was so my "good" hand would be on the fretboard; which in my opinion has a more complicated task.

I wouldn't switch now if I were you, as I don't believe there would be any benefit to it. It's not like any way feels normal at first, and it takes two hands that are skilled and working together, not just one.

Just out of interest how strongly left-handed are you (or any other "wrong-handed" players reading this) in day-to-day tasks? Things like catching a ball and using a broom.
Michael Angelo Batio is lefthanded and plays righthanded.

I'm a lefty and play righty too. I've wondered about it sometimes.
Quote by Virgman
Michael Angelo Batio is lefthanded and plays righthanded.

I'm a lefty and play righty too. I've wondered about it sometimes.

According to a bit of instant reseach I did, MAB is truly ambidextrous from birth, he didn't learn it as often written.

You might be nearly-ambidextrous, just favouring the left had a little.

I had an ambidextruos friend who was a tradesman carpenter. He used to wins bets that he could drive in a nail using a two hammers, one in each hand.
Quote by Tony Done
Just out of interest how strongly left-handed are you (or any other "wrong-handed" players reading this) in day-to-day tasks? Things like catching a ball and using a broom.

I eat, write, throw, and shoot a gun left-handed (though I played tournament paintball for a lot of years and had to learn to shoot equally with both hands to be competitive) -- so I'm definitely strongly left-handed. I even hold my beer in my left hand.

But with guitar, since it's such a foreign object that takes coordination with both hands anyway -- I just chose to play right handed. I actually believe I'm better off having my left hand on the fretboard.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I eat, write, throw, and shoot a gun left-handed (though I played tournament paintball for a lot of years and had to learn to shoot equally with both hands to be competitive) -- so I'm definitely strongly left-handed. I even hold my beer in my left hand.

But with guitar, since it's such a foreign object that takes coordination with both hands anyway -- I just chose to play right handed. I actually believe I'm better off having my left hand on the fretboard.

^^This^^

There is no way I could ever eat, write or shoot a gun with my right hand. Just not happening and I don't really care much about competitive pistol shooting to learn either, I do highpower rifle. With guitar, it just seemed natural to play the "righty" way when I first picked up a guitar when I was 15 and that was over 25 years ago so I never looked back.