So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/suggestions for improving my guitar tone. My rig is as follows;

-fender telecaster thinline 72 reissue w/stock humbuckers, didarrio 11s
-fender hot rod deluxe amp 1x12, recently swapped the speaker out for a v30
-boss tuner, pro co ratt, boss dd-6, line 6 dl-4

i recently restored the amp, fixed it up with new tubes and a speaker cone. The overall tone with the tele is extremely bright and twangy. Sounds good but not quite what I'm looking for. When distorted it sounds overwhelmingly bright. I play a lot of distorted chords in my band so I'm looking to achieve something of a 90s alt rock tone, powerful without losing too much of the character of the chords. I'm also looking to reduce some of the harsh midrange without killing my overall tone.

I'm thinking of replacing my neck pickup with a bare knuckle p90 or something like it. I also want to add an eq pedal to my chain and see if I can reduce some of the bad frequencies.

So what so you guys think? Would a p90 help me achieve a warmer cleaner distorted sound? Is the semi hollow guitar an issue? Any and all advice is appreciated, thankyou
Last edited by Synapsesfiring at Jan 9, 2015,
I won't speak to tonal improvement, since I don't know the stock pickups in that Fender, but if you do decide to go P90, don't go with a normal P90. Instead, get a HBSP90 (humbucker-sized P90): no rerouting or new pickguard needed. And Bareknuckle makes some nice ones- as I recall, the Mississipii Queen is their warmest HBSP90.

Other HBSP90s to look at would be available from Vintage Vibe, Rio Grande, RailHammer, Tesla, Lollar, and The Creamery.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 9, 2015,
Put the filter of the RAT all the way to the right. You'll dedicate the RAT to heavier, thicker tones this way, so you might want an overdrive for lighter distortion tones. An EQ like the MXR 10-band (or the 6-band if you're budgeting) would help as well. Maybe a chorus as well to help your clean tones, and a reverb like the Hall of Fame (full or mini, depending on you and your use of the HRD's reverb)

On your amp, reduce some of the treble and boost the bass/mids.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
but if you do decide to go P90, don't go with a normal P90. Instead, get a HBSP90 (humbucker-sized P90): no rerouting or new pickguard needed. And Bareknuckle makes some nice ones- as I recall, the Mississipii Queen is their warmest HBSP90.
+1
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 9, 2015,
To add to Danny's list, take a look at the Lace Alumitone P90, and P90 Riffian. I picked those up a couple months back on Cath's recommendation. I'm super happy with them thus far.

I loved the tone of the stock P90's in my Gibson LP, but they were wayyy too damn noisy! The Alumitones have about the same amount of balls as the stock P90's, but they seem much clearer, and best of all, not a god damn peep out of them!

What does the tele have for pickups right now? The P90 would probably sound a little warmer, and it should still reatain the clarity of your cords. IMO, P90's have a really punchy mid-range, that just cuts through the mix like butter, but arn't quite as bassy as humbuckers, or as trebly as single coils.

Your best bet (if an option) would be to take your amp/pedals to your local shop, and try out some different guitars, with various types of pickups. It's the only way to really get a feel for the different options.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Did you try your guitar's tone controls? You'd think I'm kidding but rolling off some of the treble on my guitar after extreme bright settings gets me great in between dirt tones like some of the alt bands you mention. I'm using p90s.
P90s sound smoother and creamier but are more noisy than humbuckers, so I'd suggest you go with humbuckers or at least one in bridge, you can get low or mid output buckers.
Not that familiar but I put in Joe Barren in mine.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 9, 2015,
Alumitones are about as clean as clean gets (I have a trio of singlecoil Alumitones in a hollowbody), and yes, they're noiseless. But some of those premium HBSP90s can be pretty quiet as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Wow, thankyou so much guys! I'll definitely be messing with my tone knob later today.

My current pickups are whatever stock humbuckers came with my tele, so I guess fender shielded humbuckers. I'm going to look into some of the p90s you've recommended, does anyone know if th bare knuckle p90s are also noiseless?

Thanks again guys!!
how long have you had that v30 in there? is it broken-in yet? it should smooth way out when broken in. EDIT: though it wouldn't really be my choice of speaker for that amp. but that'd be the thing to do before spending any money. if you haven't already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Barely a week. I got it free from a friend so figured why not try it out. It was factory sealed so definitely not broken in. How long does it usually take? And what other 12" speakers would you recommend? Thankyou
20+ hours at loud volumes to properly break it in. Longer if your playing a low/lower volumes

That guitar has Fender Wide Body pickups which are an odd size and not the same as a regular HB. If you think the tone is too bright, the V30 may not be the speaker for you. Have you tried dropping the highs and mids a bit, maybe boost the bass and take some presence out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
you got a vintage 30 for free? who is this friend of yours

Keep working with the speaker. The Vintage 30 is surely not the best choice, but it could work. Maybe try switching to an extremely mild crunch setting on the HRD if you haven't done that already, and have the RAT drive the amp to saturated break-up. That will help break-in the speaker, and you'll also get a natural, thick, grungy sound from the amp.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I won't speak to tonal improvement, since I don't know the stock pickups in that Fender, but if you do decide to go P90, don't go with a normal P90. Instead, get a HBSP90 (humbucker-sized P90): no rerouting or new pickguard needed. And Bareknuckle makes some nice ones- as I recall, the Mississipii Queen is their warmest HBSP90.

Other HBSP90s to look at would be available from Vintage Vibe, Rio Grande, RailHammer, Tesla, Lollar, and The Creamery.

Do any of the HB P90s have plastic rather than metal covers like the Phat Cat?
I think Rio Grande has plastics on all of theirs, and Vintage Vibe and The Creamery are both one-man custom winders. I've done business with both of the latter, and I think you can choose your covers- or lack thereof- on any of their pickups.

RailHammers used to be plastic only, but I think they're metal only now. You'd have to inquire.

Tesla usually has plastic or metal as an option, and each Bareknuckle pickup has a list of how they can be customized, from uncovered, to plastic, to a variety of metal covers.

Lollar might be metal only.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I think Rio Grande has plastics on all of theirs, and Vintage Vibe and The Creamery are both one-man custom winders. I've done business with both of the latter, and I think you can choose your covers- or lack thereof- on any of their pickups.

RailHammers used to be plastic only, but I think they're metal only now. You'd have to inquire.

Tesla usually has plastic or metal as an option, and each Bareknuckle pickup has a list of how they can be customized, from uncovered, to plastic, to a variety of metal covers.

Lollar might be metal only.

OK, thanks. I'm prejudiced against metal covers on pickups. I know they reduce rf noise, but the ones I've tried have been tone killers.
Quote by Will Lane

Keep working with the speaker. The Vintage 30 is surely not the best choice, but it could work.

yeah. if you got it for nothing you don't have much to lose.

as rob says, it can take some time, especially if you're not playing very loudly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys! I've definitely noticed improvement in the tone the more I break in the new speaker. I'm gonna use it for not but may swap it out for a cannibus Rex in a few weeks. Also looking at a bare knuckle supermassive p90 for the neck

I'll post a video of what it all sounds like sometime soon, thanks again dudes
The C-Rex will help a lot. I've put them in amps that I've found too bright before. They have a really smooth top end.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
The Mississippi Queen P90 pickups are outstanding in the neck positions. Highly recommended! Smoother high end than a single Coil, but all the flabby low end of a humbucker is cut out. Far more articulate and vocal like.
dont forget - how is the EQ on the amp?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Currently torn between the bareknuckle Mississippi queen and supermassive p90s. Site says the supermassive is better suited for contemporary stuff so I'm leaning towards that one...but does anyone have experience with either of these pickups for a hard rock/alternative sound ?
Well, the highest output HBS-P90 in Bareknuckle's product line is the 'Pig90, followed by the Stockholm, Supermassive, and Mississipi Queen, in that order. So compare that to the kinds of music you want to play- the heavier the metal...

Bump! Any thoughts on the Mississippi queen vs supermassive dilema? Also I elevated my amp and have noticed a huge difference. I'm now much more enjoying the sound of the v30 although I still plan on swapping in a cannarex and putting the v30 in a closed back 1x12. I'll post some videos of my tone when all is said and done!
Bump!! Can any of you recommend a good overdrive for my setup? I play a lot of big open chords and am looking for something that will maintain their clarity. Ocd and tube screamer seem promising
Also curious if anyone has ever put locking tuners on a thinline tele. What size tuners would be best?
^ You could maybe email Fender to find out? Maybe the schaller/gotoh/sperzel websites might even say which of their tuners fit certain more common guitars.

What do you mean by "clarity" exactly? There are sort of a couple of different things you might mean by that. It might mean bass cut (e.g. tubescreamer) or it sometimes also means fewer mids (i.e. not tubescreamer ).

You know... a lot of people hate it but a Boss DS1 is actually pretty good for that kind of open chord with clarity thing (assuming I mean the same thing you do by that). The digitech hot head is a bit cheaper (at least in europe) and is a clone but with a bass knob (far as I'm aware... I've A/Bed them and they sound virtually identical). Or the Hardwire Valve Distortion is a little bit like a "better" DS1, for want of a better word, it also might be worth a try and is a bit less fizzy (and also sounds good with the tone/treble knob at more than one setting, unlike the ds1/hot head).

I think the word on the net was that the mxr badass distortion (the first one, the red one) was a modded ds1 as well.

A rat might do it as well at lower distortion settings, that might be worth a try too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?