Hey guys I came across a little bit of a conundrum last night at jam that I'm at a loss to solve. My Peavey JSX head was emitting a high frequency hum but only when I was plugged into the high gain input. My signal chain is as follows:

Guitar to Korg Pitchblack to BBE Sonic Stomp to Boss NS2 to Ibanez Wheeping Demon to Line 6 POD HD500 which is in 4CM to the JSX with a TC Ditto Looper run in between the PODs output and the JSXs effects return.

Now when I run my setup like this into the high gain input, I get the hum. When I switch to the low gain it disappears. Now here's where it gets puzzling, when I plug direct with my guitar the hum is gone. When I just run the pedals by themselves (minus the POD) it's gone. When I go guitar into the POD into the input, it's gone also.

It only seams to come up when I am running everything at once. I've tried different cables, power supplies, plugins etc but nothing seems to help. I'm kind of at a loss here and would appreciate anyone's input or suggestions.

Thanks
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Does the amp hum when you only plug the guitar into the hi-gain input?

It sounds like you may need 1 or more preamp tubes because your describing a tube going microphonic and that is why your getting the hum in the hi input
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 9, 2015,
No, the only time I get the hum is when I'm running the full meal deal setup. Guitar by it's self, guitar/pedals by their selves and guitar/POD by their selves yields nothing.

Besides, wouldn't that also affect the low gain input?
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
No, the only time I get the hum is when I'm running the full meal deal setup. Guitar by it's self, guitar/pedals by their selves and guitar/POD by their selves yields nothing.

Besides, wouldn't that also affect the low gain input?

It may not, because the hi-input is hitting an extra gain stage the low does not. If it doesn't do it on the low input then my guess is a tube and not the FX. Buy a spare 12ax7 if you don't have one and try it in different positions and see if it goes away. I'd get a few personally but I like having spares around just incase.

If that doesn't work it is time to see a tech
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alright I'll give it a shot, thanks for your help.
If im following you, it sounds like it only does it when you have the POD connected to the effects loop(4cm), and or with the other pedals. I don't think that your NS2 can suppress any noise introduced into the effects loop either.

It may be that you POD and other pedals may not work that great together, I had Zoom multi effect pedal that made all kinds of noise when I would use other pedals with it, and a few distortion/overdrive pedals that made noise when used together.

if your using low quality cables that could do it too, I hade a semi complex setup once and had a little noise that only was fixed by a good set of cables.

Check tubes too,as stated above.
Last edited by mcamp12302 at Jan 9, 2015,
Quote by mcamp12302
If im following you, it sounds like it only does it when you have the POD connected to the effects loop(4cm), and or with the other pedals. I don't think that your NS2 can suppress any noise introduced into the effects loop either.

It may be that you POD and other pedals may not work that great together, I had Zoom multi effect pedal that made all kinds of noise when I would use other pedals with it, and a few distortion/overdrive pedals that made noise when used together.

if your using low quality cables that could do it too, I hade a semi complex setup once and had a little noise that only was fixed by a good set of cables.

Check tubes too,as stated above.

It seems his signal is getting really hot and a dodgy tube is acting up when this happens

He could try the NS2 in the 4cm put it last in the chain before the amp and last in the chain in the fx loop also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'll pick up some tubes and I'll tyr running the NS2 in the loop also. Thanks again guys.