I just picked up 2 12" Celestion Century neodymium speakers. They sound great! More like a Greenback or Creamback 65 tone than the V30. I put them into my Fender-style open-back cabinet just to see if I wanted to keep them. HELL YEAH!!! I'm thinking about building a closed-back cabinet and maybe stuffing it with polyfill. Pine boards, dovetailed, black zombie lacquer, and expanded metal grill. Probably do another Showman sized cabinet.

Opinions? Thought I'd ask the experts here.

Yes, I still build and sell cabinets, horns, and boxes - been busy and haven't been in the woodshed much lately, though. Let me now if anybody has the money to put where their piehole is, and I'll build it.
Sent from the cleanest toilet in Hell
The Centuries would probably benefit from a closed back. They need a bit of help in the low end IMO. Plus, to me at least, closed back cabs seem "foolproof" in that I've found that nearly any speaker/amp combo will sound decent with a closed cab but not everything sounds great with open.

Of course, if you're building your own, why not make a cutout on a hinge so you can switch between open and closed back?
Open back:
More stage-filling with sound coming from the front and back and reflecting off back walls. Less control over bass frequencies.

Closed back:
More focused and directional sound with tighter control over bass frequencies.

Different styles of music generally favor one over the other.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 9, 2015,
Quote by Roc8995
(a) Plus, to me at least, closed back cabs seem "foolproof" in that I've found that nearly any speaker/amp combo will sound decent with a closed cab but not everything sounds great with open.

(b) Of course, if you're building your own, why not make a cutout on a hinge so you can switch between open and closed back?

(a) I've found though that closed-backs can sound boxy, at least if you're using smaller ones. More compact cabs might actually be more likely to sound bad when closed than open.

Then again the only types of speakers I've really tried in any number in open-backed cabs are the ones which tend to be used open-backed, so my limited experiences might have been a self-fulfilling prophecy. Now I think of it I have a gb128 in an open-backed combo and I'm not sure it didn't sound better in a closed cab.

(b) Yeah that'd be the sensible plan right there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I generally build open cabinets so that I can easily add a panel to seal the back, 2/3 tuned to a specific frequency, or I just cut and wrap a new panel if the person wants it. I have my 2x15 Showman closed, but keep thinking about doing a 2/3 back - it might suit me better and the damn thing resonates at different frequencies; at high volumes it kinda scares the shit outta me! Duane Allman played his cabs open. I want to try these closed, and I think a Showman will have enough internal volume for 2 12's to not sound boxy or boomy, pillows/fill can further "dampen" the cab.

Another idea somebody ran by me was porting, but I need to do some trial and error runs as I don't have test equipment and also need to try different rooms. Another idea I've been eager to try out is an amp stand horn:

(Invalid img)
Sent from the cleanest toilet in Hell