Hey guys, I recieved my new Epi PlusTop Pro LP Monday, I polished the frets, changed strings, set it up but I have an issue. The truss rod is all the way loose, and there is only paper-thin relief. I tried waiting for the wood to settle in but it's not budging.

Should I overtune my current strings (standard .10 Ernie's) or buy a pack of .12's and put those of for a few days and then put .10s back on?

There is a lot of buzz going on right now so I'd like to get this under control.
Turn the truss rod the other direction. I know that the truss rod on my Epiphone Prophecy guitar has a 2-way truss rod, were the neck can be forced into relief if needed.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by The Bacon Man
Hey guys, I recieved my new Epi PlusTop Pro LP Monday, I polished the frets, changed strings, set it up but I have an issue. The truss rod is all the way loose, and there is only paper-thin relief. I tried waiting for the wood to settle in but it's not budging.

Should I overtune my current strings (standard .10 Ernie's) or buy a pack of .12's and put those of for a few days and then put .10s back on?

There is a lot of buzz going on right now so I'd like to get this under control.

How low is your action set to?
Moving on.....
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Turn the truss rod the other direction. I know that the truss rod on my Epiphone Prophecy guitar has a 2-way truss rod, were the neck can be forced into relief if needed.

I'd like to try to let the wood adjust before messing with the truss rod further.

Quote by KenG
How low is your action set to?

Don't have the proper ruler but I believe 3/16 on the bass side.
Last edited by The Bacon Man at Jan 9, 2015,
Quote by The Bacon Man
I'd like to try to let the wood adjust before messing with the truss rod further.

Don't have the proper ruler but I believe 3/16 on the bass side.

3/16?!?!?! Over where?! Are you playing slide?! o_O

I like 3-4/64ths over the 7th fret.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
3/16?!?!?! Over where?! Are you playing slide?! o_O

I like 3-4/64ths over the 7th fret.

I was trying to solve this truss rod issue before playing with the bridge lmao. That was taken at the 12th, but again my ruler is a school ruler, not a mechanics ruler. It could be severely off.
4.7mm at the 12th fret? Holy high action and intonation nightmare, batman. It needs to be more like 4/64" on the bass side and 3/64" on the treble side @ the 12th fret.

Just turn the truss rod the other direction and see if it helps to force the neck into relief. Don't worry, it won't bite you. If its a 2 way truss rod (which I have reason to believe it is) then adjusting it isn't going to do any harm.

I think waiting for the neck to adjust to your truss rod adjustments is a bit of a waste of time at this point. If you've left the guitar a day or so, and nothing has changed, then keep adjusting it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
4.7mm at the 12th fret? Holy high action and intonation nightmare, batman. It needs to be more like 4/64" on the bass side and 3/64" on the treble side @ the 12th fret.

Just turn the truss rod the other direction and see if it helps to force the neck into relief. Don't worry, it won't bite you. If its a 2 way truss rod (which I have reason to believe it is) then adjusting it isn't going to do any harm.

I think waiting for the neck to adjust to your truss rod adjustments is a bit of a waste of time at this point. If you've left the guitar a day or so, and nothing has changed, then keep adjusting it.

So as I "tighten" it, eventually it will start to force relief instead of reduce relief?

And I meant to let the actual guitar settle in, it is brand new. I had another copy of this guitar a few weeks ago (had a crack so I returned it) and it had the same issue of not having enough relief.