Short and sweet: Wanted a semihollow for a while. Love the solidbody-sized semihollows. Recently I've taken notice of a sale that may allow me to afford a Gibson ES-339 Studio. Unfortunately, this sale is only online, so I can't sort through them in-person, which leads to my issue; when I last looked into Gibson, the Studio models had a reputation for shoddy QC, a reputation which my experiences back up. Is it trustworthy enough to order one now, or should I hold off until I find a deal at a physical store?

Also, the offer extends to Epiphone too, so aside from the obvious(higher quality woods, Burstbuckers instead of Epiphone PAF-types, etc.), what differences would I be able to expect between the 339 Studio and an Epi 339 Pro?

Thanks in advance for any help
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
If the savings are good enough and the store you order from has a good return policy then go for it.

Where are you located? Lots of stores will price match any online dealer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Take advantage of the return policy if you don't like it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^Edit: Restocking costs for returns through Sam Ash, if I recall, are somewhere between 5-15 percent of purchase price. I do not like the idea of being out $100+ if I can help it

Quote by Robbgnarly
If the savings are good enough and the store you order from has a good return policy then go for it.

Where are you located? Lots of stores will price match any online dealer

It's not a lower-cost deal as much as it's a financing deal; I'm a college student, so I don't have $1,400 to put towards it right now, but Sam Ash has a financing deal from now to the end of January where, so long as it's paid off in full by January of 2015, there's no interest. I'm graduating in 2016, so I should easily be able to cobble together $1,400 by January of 2017 even if I work minimum-wage.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 9, 2015,
Quote by necrosis1193
so long as it's paid off in full by January of 2015, there's no interest.

Pretty shitty deal then.

I know you mean 2017.
Quote by necrosis1193
^Edit: Restocking costs for returns through Sam Ash, if I recall, are somewhere between 5-15 percent of purchase price. I do not like the idea of being out $100+ if I can help it

Well, that's just a risk you've got to take. Either that or not buy anything at all.

It also depends on what it is you don't like about the guitar. If its only a high fret thats the problem, then its well worth just getting that fixed. Either way you've just got to bite the bullet and go for it if you really want it.

If I was buying a new guitar, I'd wait until a brick and mortar store stocks one if its a popular model. It might cost more to buy, but you get to try the guitar before buying it, and thats worth the extra expense imo.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 9, 2015,
Go to Sam Ash and get it so you can try it first. They will do the same deals in store as they will online. Trust me, they want your money

You can also try www.sweetwater.com and Guitar center, they will most likely give you the same deal as Sam Ash will (financing also)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seems alright. Not real fancy (binding) but it's got the functional basics. I have a 339 from a handful of years ago (wow, has it really been 7 years already?) that I still play regularly. I have a couple small finish checks in the clear coat from not controlling winter temperature closely enough in the old house. I notice the new Studio version has a hotter bridge pup. The original 339 was a 57 Classic in both positions. So you're getting a good set of pickups. Me personally, I am VERY used to having separate volume knobs so I don't dig the control configuration, but it's fine for plenty of people. Cosmetically I'm a binding ***** but I get that some people don't care for it and it certainly affects the price point.

All in all, I say it looks like a decent axe, but I would urge you to reconsider buying it based on the financial priorities of a student. Pretty soon, you're going to be needing money for things like improved housing, maybe a better vehicle, clothing for work. All that stuff can get expensive, not to mention feeding, heating, and insuring yourself. Trying to figure out how to do that while under a mountain of student loan debt and then having to worry about making guitar payments that could cause you to default and wreck your credit rating for the first 7 years of your independent adult life could be a real drag. Not saying don't buy it, but look at your own situation and think twice. If you still have comfortable wiggle room, get into a guitar center or whatever and try one out to see if you're going to like the basic guitar and then go ahead. Good luck.
Hydra raises excellent points.

What if we could put you in a decent quality semihollow from a different brand for...say...$850-1000?

What do you want from the guitar?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 9, 2015,
Just buy a nice Korean guitar. The build quality will be better and the price will be a few hundred bucks lower.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
...What if we could put you in a decent quality semihollow from a different brand for...say...$850-1000?...

You totally didn't just sound like a used car salesman right there
At my work there's an Ibanez AS93. I keep it behind my desk so no one buys it. It's my favorite guitar on the store. It's $600. God, I love those Super 58's.
Quote by Hydra26
You totally didn't just sound like a used car salesman right there

I learned from a very good one!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Financing isn't exclusive to Sam Ash. If there's a GC near you, GC does financing as well. zZounds does this sort of thing, and you can return it if you aren't happy with the quality control.

The ES-339 studio is a decent guitar (strangely enough, I've tried it at my local Sam Ash). But since you're doing financing, maybe think about the Gibson ES-339 Satin. zZounds is promoting 12 monthly payments for a few more Gibson guitars, and that particular model sounds like your kinda thing, and the difference is negligible over twelve months.

EDIT: Actually, you've not specified whether you're talking about the Studio with or without the F-holes, so my suggestion could be entirely unfounded.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jan 10, 2015,
Are you willing to go used?

Quote by Robbgnarly
Go to Sam Ash and get it so you can try it first. They will do the same deals in store as they will online. Trust me, they want your money

You can also try www.sweetwater.com and Guitar center, they will most likely give you the same deal as Sam Ash will (financing also)

The closest Sam Ash is around three hours from me. I'm only driving six hours for a guitar if I know I'm buying it. Also after atrocious service and downright rude staff at both local GCs, I refuse to buy there rather than one of the local shops or online stores.

Quote by Hydra26
Seems alright. Not real fancy (binding) but it's got the functional basics. I have a 339 from a handful of years ago (wow, has it really been 7 years already?) that I still play regularly. I have a couple small finish checks in the clear coat from not controlling winter temperature closely enough in the old house. I notice the new Studio version has a hotter bridge pup. The original 339 was a 57 Classic in both positions. So you're getting a good set of pickups. Me personally, I am VERY used to having separate volume knobs so I don't dig the control configuration, but it's fine for plenty of people. Cosmetically I'm a binding ***** but I get that some people don't care for it and it certainly affects the price point.

All in all, I say it looks like a decent axe, but I would urge you to reconsider buying it based on the financial priorities of a student. Pretty soon, you're going to be needing money for things like improved housing, maybe a better vehicle, clothing for work. All that stuff can get expensive, not to mention feeding, heating, and insuring yourself. Trying to figure out how to do that while under a mountain of student loan debt and then having to worry about making guitar payments that could cause you to default and wreck your credit rating for the first 7 years of your independent adult life could be a real drag. Not saying don't buy it, but look at your own situation and think twice. If you still have comfortable wiggle room, get into a guitar center or whatever and try one out to see if you're going to like the basic guitar and then go ahead. Good luck.

Cheers for the opinions as an owner

I'm actually incredibly fortunate in that, between A. a surprisingly affordable college(Big part of why I chose it), and B. a lot of luck with scholarships, as long as I'm doing more than just a single minimum wage job, I should be able to have all of my loans paid off within one year, so two years financing would feasibly make it doable. I've done a lot of work figuring this out already since I'm terrified of owing people money, so priority #1 as soon as I get my degree is paying my debt off. I've thought this out I do appreciate the concern though, and after thinking about it more beyond just "Hey I want a semihollow and this financing might help", a lot of what you said is legitimate reason to wait for now if I can't find a lower price alternative.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hydra raises excellent points.

What if we could put you in a decent quality semihollow from a different brand for...say...$850-1000?

What do you want from the guitar?

I am actually giving an Ibanez AM93 heavy consideration as well. Played one and really loved it, and it's less than half the price. Just trying to find a store with all three to A/B. If you have other suggestions though, I'm open to them. What did you have in mind in that range?

Mainly I'm looking for something to fit the bill of bluesy instrumental rock, with some synths mixed in here and there. I already have a great superstrat that I love for more heavier-gain type things, so I don't need a jack-of-all trades monster(Versatility is always a plus though). I've been wanting a semihollow for about five or six years now, and I figure it's time I finally rewarded myself with one.

Quote by JustRooster
At my work there's an Ibanez AS93. I keep it behind my desk so no one buys it. It's my favorite guitar on the store. It's $600. God, I love those Super 58's.

Friend, I believe you and I are operating on the same wavelength For $600 though I'd prefer the AM93. A/B'd them both a while back, like the look, feel, and tone all more on the AM.

Quote by chrismendiola
Financing isn't exclusive to Sam Ash. If there's a GC near you, GC does financing as well. zZounds does this sort of thing, and you can return it if you aren't happy with the quality control.

The ES-339 studio is a decent guitar (strangely enough, I've tried it at my local Sam Ash). But since you're doing financing, maybe think about the Gibson ES-339 Satin. zZounds is promoting 12 monthly payments for a few more Gibson guitars, and that particular model sounds like your kinda thing, and the difference is negligible over twelve months.

EDIT: Actually, you've not specified whether you're talking about the Studio with or without the F-holes, so my suggestion could be entirely unfounded.

With the F-holes. I am not a fan of that one-pickup 339.

I had actually forgotten that Zzounds exists, and all things considered, making some reasonable payments for a guitar on-time for a year probably isn't a bad thing to do to build credit since I still have yet to buy anything other than gas without cash $158 a month isn't too bad if I can find a job, that might be a way to go once I actually have one and know I have that income for sure...

I can get a similar deal on the AM93 though, and the more I think about it the more competition that one provides. Anyone have any experience with the Satin 339s? I remember being nonplussed by a satin 335 some years ago, and I'm wondering if they're any better now. Because if the difference is marginal, I liked that 93 enough that I'd be willing to concede a little bit for around $1,300 in savings, give or take a hundred or so for a case.

Quote by ixshadowz
get an epiphone sheraton mate they are great semi hollow guitars

Sorry bud, but if I'm paying $600 for a Korean-made semihollow, I'm buying an AM93.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 10, 2015,
Right now among semihollow and hollowbody guitars with a similar visual aesthetic in that price range besides the Ibanez guitars, I'd look at the:

1) Hagstrom Tremar Deuce F

2) Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II or used 5th Avenue Uptown.

3) Reverend Manta Ray or used Tricky Gomez

4) Gretsch Electromatics

Outside that aesthetic, there are guitars like the Reverend Club Kings, G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Tributes, certain Telecasters and so forth.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 10, 2015,
Already have a telecaster, so it being an ES-style semihollow is a big part of the sell for me.

Appreciate the suggestions, will look into them tomorrow

Side by side, I think Ibanez blows Epiphone and Gretsch out of the water for Hollows and Semihollows. The Godins are darn nice, though.

Someone around here has a Hagstrom Viking. I've always been really interested in those.
Quote by JustRooster
Someone around here has a Hagstrom Viking. I've always been really interested in those.

I know Hydra150 has/had one. I've played a couple and I always liked them. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check them out
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by JustRooster
Side by side, I think Ibanez blows Epiphone and Gretsch out of the water for Hollows and Semihollows. The Godins are darn nice, though.

I agree with you about Ibby vs Epi, but il find the Gretshes have a little more of a resonance because of their deeper bodies. Plus you can get those 'Trons in the Gretsh line.

The Ibbys are sweet, nonetheless.

The few Hagstroms I've had the privilege of trying out always felt nice in the hands. Try one out if you can.

Someone in my area keeps trying to sell a 2010 ES-339 for $22,000 on craigslist. I'm thinking he either has an extra 0 or an extra 2 on that price (I wouldn't pay either way for a used one) but if not, hmm.... according to Carfax, in my area I can buy a 2010 Mercedes Benz GLK 350, or a 2010 Chevy Camaro for that much.

It's pretty absurd. I bought mine in 08 for I think 1800-ish new. 22,000 is a long way off from that price for something that's been used for 5 years and will carry no warranty.
Was it used by someone famous? Made with materials sourced from NASA?

Listed while stoned?

According to the post, no to 1 and 2, not sure on 3, lol. But I've seen this listing before, (big surprise. and no guarantee the poster wasn't stoned when posting it both times.)
Craigslist is full of things like that. A guitar I sold for $300 used ended up on there for $1,200. Bastard was trying to push an old MIM in a discontinued finish as a special run of a limited-edition finish!

Quote by necrosis1193
With the F-holes. I am not a fan of that one-pickup 339.

I had actually forgotten that Zzounds exists, and all things considered, making some reasonable payments for a guitar on-time for a year probably isn't a bad thing to do to build credit since I still have yet to buy anything other than gas without cash $158 a month isn't too bad if I can find a job, that might be a way to go once I actually have one and know I have that income for sure...

Just a heads up, the wording of this suggests that you think zZounds Pay As You Play plans open up a line of credit. They don't, if that's what you think. But if you want to build credit, get yourself one of those starter credit cards and use that as your card for the zZounds thingy.

Most financing options I know open up a line of credit (e.g. Sweetwater, Guitar Center, and Sam Ash), and you'd need to be approved first. I know the three I mentioned won't grant you this option if you have no credit history. I'm sure Musician's Friend does the same.
Quote by necrosis1193
I can get a similar deal on the AM93 though, and the more I think about it the more competition that one provides. Anyone have any experience with the Satin 339s? I remember being nonplussed by a satin 335 some years ago, and I'm wondering if they're any better now. Because if the difference is marginal, I liked that 93 enough that I'd be willing to concede a little bit for around $1,300 in savings, give or take a hundred or so for a case.

For what it's worth, I've played three types of Gibson ES-335 models: Studio, Satin, and the standard model. I think the Satin is a big step up from the Studio, but more so in how it feels than how it sounds. Not to say there isn't a substantial difference in sound, if I can remember correctly. I'd say it's well worth the money and that it's closer to the standard model than it is to the Studio.
Quote by chrismendiola
Just a heads up, the wording of this suggests that you think zZounds Pay As You Play plans open up a line of credit. They don't, if that's what you think. But if you want to build credit, get yourself one of those starter credit cards and use that as your card for the zZounds thingy.

Most financing options I know open up a line of credit (e.g. Sweetwater, Guitar Center, and Sam Ash), and you'd need to be approved first. I know the three I mentioned won't grant you this option if you have no credit history. I'm sure Musician's Friend does the same.

...I am well-aware that A. Zzounds' payment plan does not establish a line of credit, and that B. until a solid credit history is established, the only way to really get a line of credit is if the company comes to you since nobody wants to take a risk on someone with no history.

I've taken multiple finance courses, I'm planning on going back to school for an MBA once I have all my loans paid off. Why do people keep assuming I haven't thought the monetary side of the purchase through

For what it's worth, I've played three types of Gibson ES-335 models: Studio, Satin, and the standard model. I think the Satin is a big step up from the Studio, but more so in how it feels than how it sounds. Not to say there isn't a substantial difference in sound, if I can remember correctly. I'd say it's well worth the money and that it's closer to the standard model than it is to the Studio.

How exactly did it feel different? Curious as I've never really A/B'd a Studio and a Satin side-by-side.

Because we all know how exciting a shiny new guitar can be and noone wants to suggest something to you that could cause you major problems down the road. Just think of it as neighborly concern. Would be pretty irresponsible of us to to say "oh, you can get a line of credit at 23% interest? Sweet, go buy a $6k 1959 les paul reissue."

For what it's worth, I absolutely love my 339, it damned near plays itself, but it does squeal quite a bit at high gain/volume. Doesnt stop me from doing the odd recording with it for fun when I can put good distance between the pickups and the amp.
Quote by necrosis1193
...I am well-aware that A. Zzounds' payment plan does not establish a line of credit, and that B. until a solid credit history is established, the only way to really get a line of credit is if the company comes to you since nobody wants to take a risk on someone with no history.

I've taken multiple finance courses, I'm planning on going back to school for an MBA once I have all my loans paid off. Why do people keep assuming I haven't thought the monetary side of the purchase through

Because
(a) I know nothing about you
(b) This is a common mistake
(c) See previous post. To me it looked like you thought it might establish a line of credit.

Quote by necrosis1193
How exactly did it feel different? Curious as I've never really A/B'd a Studio and a Satin side-by-side.

In short, I'd say the Studio felt like a toy, and the Satin was way more comfortable, at least to me. I guess the most striking difference was the tactile aspect, I felt way more comfortable with what at first glance seems to be a load of faff on the Satin models.

I don't know if the same disparity exists between the Studio and Satin when comparing the ES-335 and and the ES-339, so this could all be moot, anyway. I also don't know how adequately I could express a personal preference in feel anyway using words, I'd recommend you give 'em a go for yourself, but I think you've established that you can't. It could just be me, but even looking at it suggests the two feel very different.