Hey guys, im downsizing my rig a bit, i have a Marshall 1960a 4x12 at the momment and its great but its a pain in the ass for portability, so i was going to sell it for a 2x12, but i was thinking, is having 4x12 worth the portability issue? or should i sell it and get an avatar 2x12, i play in a VH cover band btw, Thanks.
It would probably be worth it to downsize if the portability is bothering you. Odds are youre micing up your rig anyways. I would just point the 2x12 angled upwards so it is more audible for you to monitor. You might lose some low end thump; but i dont think its worth breaking your back over
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

This is pretty much strictly a personal decision. I'm not going to type out all of the differences as I see them but I'll give you some general insight (and I don't gig).

First of all there is nothing quite like having 4 speakers trying to push you over with a wall of sound. No doubt.

Now here is where the gigging comes into play. If you are mic'd at gigs there really is no reason you HAVE to have a 4x12.

I DO see the benefit of only having to load - transport - setup a 212 vs a 412.

4x12s are technically not THAT much louder.
There are other variables that play into your 'loudness factor' *
Placing a 212 up on stand or cabinet will help disperse
I think you get an extra 3dB every time you double the speakers (someone correct me)
I started out with an Avatar 212 traditional closed back. Loved that cab. Dave at Avatar is great and so is his whole crew. They built and shipped it fast. They have their own broken in branded Celestions. Great quality for the price. I sold mine to a fellow UGr to fund my Splawn cab. Better cab and they come with rebranded Eminence or WGS speakers. They call them Small Blocks. They are similar to a G12H65 I think. Awesome build quality - not THAT expensive.

Now, with all of that said I'm in the market for a 4x12 but only because I want one and.... I DON"T GIG

*Not saying you have a loudness issue - but I hear that a lot from people who gig that are worried a 2x12 won't be enough.

Hope that helps

PS: Love me some Van Halen - link me to some of your stuff.

Also - My 212's have had serious low end. Some even claim that a 212 is tighter in the bass because there is less air in the back of the cab for the cones to deal with.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 10, 2015,
Stick the 2x12 on an angled amp stand and you'll be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
PS: Love me some Van Halen - link me to some of your stuff.

Haha a lot of people ask for that, ill film us jamming one of these days if i can remember, but as im 15 we dont really gig, not yet atleast, one of these days, thanks for the advice dude
Quote by sanjeeb12
Haha a lot of people ask for that, ill film us jamming one of these days if i can remember, but as im 15 we dont really gig, not yet atleast, one of these days, thanks for the advice dude

I think an Avatar 212 would suit you fine. You can prop them up vertically too you know. That helps.

They also now have a 'convertible' cab which gives you the option of open or closed back. I wish they had that when I got mine.

I'll attach a pic I have of the guts. Well made man. Nice joints. Nice wood. Nice tolex. Lots of choices. Super affordable.

What amp are you using BTW?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think an Avatar 212 would suit you fine. You can prop them up vertically too you know. That helps.

They also now have a 'convertible' cab which gives you the option of open or closed back. I wish they had that when I got mine.

I'll attach a pic I have of the guts. Well made man. Nice joints. Nice wood. Nice tolex. Lots of choices. Super affordable.

What amp are you using BTW?

It changes every other month, ive had a 1st generation 5150, soldano hot rod, JVM410h, Marshall 1987X, and a Roppoli plexi clone. I didnt buy any of em, i got a good friend who works with a bunch of amps and he lends them to me for a month each, pretty sweet deal, at the momment im running a friedman pink taco, the things a monster.
holy crap dude

well by no means would I want to talk you out of an Avatar cab - as you can see I really like them.

there are others out there - the Splawn 212 cab in particular. Also I hear White Box, Port City, Mesa, Orange, and maybe Bogner and others I can't think of make excellent 212 cabs. Maybe a notch above.

what kind of speakers are you thinking of?

PS: I'd love to play a Pink Taco. You are a very lucky man
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
holy crap dude:
haha yeah i got a pretty sweet deal, out of them all i think my fav so far is either the soldano or the friedman, i dont know to much about speakers, what would you recommend for VH?
You probably can't go wrong with Vintage 30s

The G12H30s are real nice, especially the non-Chinese ones - but that would only give you 60 watts total. Vintage 30s are actually 60/70 watts each so that's 120w easy.

Then you've got stuff like true Greenbacks, Creambacks, etc. Scumbacks and others.

Check into Avatar's Hellatone brand. Seriously. Do it.

Eminence and WGS makes good speakers too. Legends, Governer series, Man O War etc.

Then there is the WGS Veteran (V30 clone) and others.

If you go Avatar - I'd think you'd be somewhat limited to what they offer. The good news is they offer a lot of speaker combinations.

Splawn cabs with Small Blocks would rule for VH

(I'm not really a speaker guy so maybe someone else can give you some better advice)
i don't mind me a 4x12. may weigh another 30lbs. little bigger dimensions, not a big deal for me. the one is use most gigging is a randall cab that has a 2x12" and a 15" so its nice and bassy and hits pretty hard/

if its a small gig, i do have two orange 2x12"s but

mesa and orange IMO on the large production are the way to go.

i wold go splawn if you want to spend the mone. i already have a ton of cabs, so i don't need one but i wouldn't mind one to match either of my splawns.

i am not a huge fan of avatar, although i do have one. but i paid $200 on CL. its not bad, but my orange and mesa cabs are built better IMO, the only good thing is selection of different speakers so
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The best option IMO would be to just get two 2x12s. My amp is running 150watts at 4ohms, but my 2x12 is 8ohms. So I would just get a second 2x12 and have the full power.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
311 the small blocks are very similar to G12m25's, the big blocks were similar to G12h30's.

I have a 4x12 a 2x12 and a 1x12 cab just so I do have a variety because they do sound different
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 10, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Now here is where the gigging comes into play. If you are mic'd at gigs there really is no reason you HAVE to have a 4x12.

It's worth mentioning that 2x12s and 4x12s actually sound quite different mic'd. I wouldn't say better... But different.

I definitely prefer 2x12s. If I need a bigger sound I'll just add a second one.
early VH is greenbacks I think

but later VH is a lot more saturated and modern-sounding (and I'm guessing more modern-sounding speakers might help).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
311 the small blocks are very similar to G12m25's, the big blocks were similar to G12h30's.

You're right. I should mention this when describing the speaker.

However, I thought Scott told me I was getting the '65' version. That has always stuck in my head for some reason. I need to find that email so I can resolve it in my mind. That or take the back of the cab off which I really don't want to do. I think it was around the time he added WGS as an OEM vendor because Eminence couldn't keep up or something like that. I may have this story wrong. I'm not completely crazy though....they did have one.

"Small Block 65
Power Rating: 55 watts
Sensitivity: 99dB
Modeled On: Celestion G12-65

The SB65 seems to have been discontinued; it is no longer listed in Splawn’s online store. Like those early Mercury Magnetic 3-pre Quick Rods and Splawn-modded Marshalls, it might be worth holding on to a set of these if you have them."

http://pickroar.com/147/splawn-speaker-specs-small-block-big-block/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawn cabs with Small Blocks would rule for VH

(I'm not really a speaker guy so maybe someone else can give you some better advice)

Ill probobly save up a bit more and get the splawn 2x12, but if i find a great deal on a avatar ill get that, thanks for all the advice dude, i appreciate it.