So I've been playing quite a while now, but never learned that many things by ear, particularly more intricate solo's.

Now I've heard that a lot of people use Amazing Slow Downer, which I've tried and personally didn't like too much, not to mention the $60 pricing seems a bit of a joke.
I did some google searching and I found a program called RiffStation which I'd never heard of but surprisingly just from the trial it's shockingly good. It feels infinitely better than Amazing Slow Downer.
What I'm wondering is if others have used this same program, and what other people think is the best program to use for slowing down songs to learn by ear? I'd like to get some opinions before I go about purchasing a product.
Also I hope it doesn't sound like I'm advertising, don't report me haha.

Thanks
The big four of transcribing software in my opinion are: Amazing Slow Downer, RiffStation, Anytune (if you're on iOS) and Transcribe!

All have their strengths and weaknesses, i personally enjoy Anytune the most. Really friendly interface and easy to get a grip of all the features it comes with. Only downside is that it is not available for PC, but for Mac. So you'll have to be a lesser being like me who uses Macs in order to use that.

I believe all four of those programs have trails though, so i would just recommend trying them all out and purchase the one you fancy. I have introduced all of them for my students and they are pretty much evenly split among the four programs.

I'd personally say that Anytune is the best one, followed by Transcribe, RiffStation and Amazing Slow Downer, in that order.

Hope you find a good piece of software that suits you, transcription is extremely fun ones you got the tools to do it effectively.

Best Regards,
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
The software I use is called BestPractice it's pretty much the same as transcribe. Except that it's actually free, and you don't have to pay for it .
Audacity is a fantastic tool but the speed change doesn't preserve the original pitch of the track. Tools like Amazing Slow Downer and so on do, which is the crucial part.

Personally I can at least vouch for the functionality of Amazing Slow Downer, I've used it to great effect a fair bit. As soon as I can afford to buy it I'll be trying out Transcribe though, it's one of the only ones of these that's available on Linux.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys, I`ll check them all out
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Audacity is a fantastic tool but the speed change doesn't preserve the original pitch of the track. Tools like Amazing Slow Downer and so on do, which is the crucial part.

Personally I can at least vouch for the functionality of Amazing Slow Downer, I've used it to great effect a fair bit. As soon as I can afford to buy it I'll be trying out Transcribe though, it's one of the only ones of these that's available on Linux.

My version of Audacity changes speed without changing pitch using the "Change tempo" plug-in. It preserves the tonal quite well.
i think you can slow down tracks using the boss looper pedals, with no change in pitch. yeah, its not a program i know, but looper pedals are a good practicing tool and if your thinking of getting one at somepoint, that might be something to consider
There is also free apps that do this on your phone. Phone not loud enough? Just plug your computer speakers into your phone..
I haven't used Audacity in a long time but I sure seem to remember it being able to change tempo without changing pitch. I know Reaper certainly does that (I use it for that all the time) and it's free for several months and you can buy it for $60.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Zaphod,

I've been using Transcribe for many years, and find it indispensable, either for working out crazy speed stuff, or chord voicings, but also for getting students to play slowed down sections.

cheers, Jerry
I use Transcribe.

It's very good. You can even slow down videos and isolate parts which is tremendous.