I have a dean dime o' flame and i am wanting to swap the licensed floyd out for the original floyd rose.. will I need to do some routing on the guitar or would it be an easy swap?

Cheers.
floyd rose, schaller and gotoh (the people who make the good aftermarket floyd roses) should all have routing templates on their websites. It's just a matter of measuring your licensed one and seeing if the important measurements match up ok. Don't forget about the studs, even if the other measurements match up the stud diameter is often different (often bigger on the "good" ones).

FWIW if you're in europe, the word on the net is that the schaller lockmeister is the same thing as the OFR for a lot less money (schaller makes the OFR).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yo man i see your from northern ireland. im from wexford haha thanks man much appreciate the response
As always if you can get your hands on the Floyd Rose Original 1000 (FRT 1000) go for it. It's what they use on the Korean and some Japanese guitars depending on brand/series of the guitar.

licensed to anything made by floyd rose requires no routing. Just put the parts on. I do this all the time for customers. The special and original 1000 are direct replacements I can tell you right away. The German Schaller one I can imagine is the same.

the original 1000 was made in Korea. All parts associated to the german schaller except for saddles are a direct replacement. The 1000 is all hardened steel and by the time you put a brass big block on the guitar it'll sound just as good if not better than the german schaller original floyd rose which is around 199.99 give or take. Floyd upgrades I got my brass big block from

so swapping it is simple
take the strings off
measure the screw head distance from the two screw heads to the end of the cavity
the two screws for 100% assurance are those keeping the springs on
take the springs off
put chap stick on the saddles where it comes in contact with the knife edges of the base plate
put the new bridge on
put the springs on
put the screws back to the same distance, this works if you are ok with the tuning and string gauge
when locking the strings as always use the short end for that last quarter turn
and you're all set, just re-float the bridge like you always do

I'll have a photo bucket image of the two screws I've really accentuated on soon.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 11, 2015,
Quote by thomasculleto
yo man i see your from northern ireland. im from wexford haha thanks man much appreciate the response

No problem

Very nice down there, I've been on holiday in the south east a couple of times (years ago now).

Quote by Tallwood13

licensed to anything made by floyd rose requires no routing.

that's not always true. The older Ibanez trems said "licensed" on them and were a totally (ok, not totally obviously, but they weren't a direct swap) different size from the OFR.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 11, 2015,
here we go, hope this helps. Besides that and my step by step thing you'll do fine. I do this method on guys guitars all the time.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 11, 2015,
That is true, certain Ibanez tremolos such as the original edge and the edge III are a replacement. I'm no Ibanez expert but yeah I'm sure they had to pay Floyd as he named the tremolo after himself big bucks for it.

One of the low profile bridges they had some legal issues or something over they thought the patent was over and so they made it and realized oh crap we got a few years left until we can sell these so they recalled or whatever this certain model quick to avoid paying extra fees. I heard this story 4-5 years ago so my memories hazy.
If the route is the correct size for an OFR, then get a Schaller Lockmeister instead. As Dave has said, they're identical in every way to the German-made OFR (down to the materials, dimensions, even the factory they're made in). The only differences are that the Lockmeister has a Schaller stamp on the baseplate instead of 'Floyd Rose', and the bridge itself is 2/3 the price.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 11, 2015,
^

Quote by Tallwood13
That is true, certain Ibanez tremolos such as the original edge and the edge III are a replacement. I'm no Ibanez expert but yeah I'm sure they had to pay Floyd as he named the tremolo after himself big bucks for it.

One of the low profile bridges they had some legal issues or something over they thought the patent was over and so they made it and realized oh crap we got a few years left until we can sell these so they recalled or whatever this certain model quick to avoid paying extra fees. I heard this story 4-5 years ago so my memories hazy.

yeah the edge pro I think fell foul of that patent thing. I think they kept it and just paid the fee, but they maybe stopped using the edge pro II and switched to the edge III because of that. IIRC.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the help guys appreciate the replies think i'm gonna look into getting the lockmeister as i do not see the point in spending more than i have to for essentially the same thing.

Cheers.
yeah that sounds sensible
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The dimensions of Original floydrose and Schaller Lockmeister seems different. The distance between 2 stud screws seems 74.3mm on Schaller and 74mm on the OFR. Are you sure we can swap them without adjusting the existing stud screw mounts on the body?
Quote by canerakcil
The dimensions of Original floydrose and Schaller Lockmeister seems different. The distance between 2 stud screws seems 74.3mm on Schaller and 74mm on the OFR. Are you sure we can swap them without adjusting the existing stud screw mounts on the body?

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp316928/Schaller-Tremolo-LockMeister.htm
The dimensions of our Tremolo LockMeister are exactly the same as the dimensions of both the Floyd Rose Tremolo and our Schaller Tremolo. You can easily replace your Floyd Rose Tremolo or your Schaller Tremolo with our new LockMeister Tremolo.
This also applies to all replacement parts!

If that wasn't true, people would up in arms about it. But they're not.

I've fitted my Jackson DK2M with one, and bought it based on word of mouth about how the LFR can be directly replaced with an OFR, and the fact that Schaller advertises their Lockmiester as dimensionally identical to the OFR. And sure enough, the Schaller fits the guitar fine.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 21, 2015,
You are right but after looking at these technical drawings i suspected.

Can you please look at the 'technical drawings' part in this link and compare it with the link below?

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp316928/Schaller-Tremolo-LockMeister.htm

(First pdf document under the 'diagrams and schematics' at the right downside of the page)

riginal-series/original">http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6riginal-series/original
Last edited by canerakcil at Jan 21, 2015,
Hmmm that is interesting.

Perhaps the tolerancing of the measuring equipment was different on the two drawings? I mean from the two schematics, one by Schaller and the other on the Floyd Rose website, they look different enough in style that they look like they were done by two separate companies. could they have had differing degrees of tolerance when they made the technical drawings? Its possible because we're only talking 0.5mm here. It isn't much to write home about. At any rate, there must exist some tolerance for the bridge posts to be able to screw in and out of their bushings, and so while the two bridges might very marginally differ, they're still within a certain tolerance to be interchangeable.

I'm not sure if this is true at all, but if seems plausible.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 21, 2015,