Does anyone here know anything about the Esteve 1GR10? What is it made of? Anyone have any experience with Esteve?
I cannot find a single word about it on the Internet! I was offered it for about 600 USD, but my budget is at about 1000 USD.
I am currently also looking into the Alhambra 8P and Cordoba C10.
Anyone have any experience with these?

I tried the Esteve today and it's really nice. Fantastic sustain, bass and treble. Really warm and 'Spanish' sounding
Last edited by mongo_man at Jan 10, 2015,
So you'd like to buy a classical acoustic guitar for 1000 USD!? are you nuts?
Last edited by Wermund at Jan 10, 2015,
Quote by Wermund

Helpful
Quote by Wermund

Do you think that is cheap or expensive? I've seen decent ones for a few hundred - eg Katoh and Cordoba - up to about $60 thousand for a Smallman or similar.

Esteve seem to have a reasonable reputation, but I know next to nothing about inexpensive classicals. I think is is a question of trusting your ears.

Is it a CE, or a straight non-cutaway acoustic? Looking at the price new of a 1GR 7CE, at 730 euros in Europe, yours is likely in the right ballpark if it is a CE version, not so sure if it is the basic model.
esteve are nice guitars - not really high end, but i really like the way they sound. there was one at hollywood guitar center i always found myself playing whenever i was there. why not contact esteve and ask them about the guitar? it doesn't seem like they make it - or at least i couldn't find it on their website - but they should still be able to tell you more about it.

btw, the classical guitars seem to have a C in the model number, the flamenco guitars have an F. not sure what GR would stand for, but maybe they don't always follow that nomenclature.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm leaning towards a classic guitar, non-cutaway. I really don't have a lot of experience with classics, but your ears should definitely be your main guideline.
I sent a mail to a known Esteve importer, but yeah, maybe I should contact Esteve directly. All I know is that the model is obsolete
Last edited by mongo_man at Jan 11, 2015,
I got an answer from the importer I talked about, and appearantly this model has laminated sides and back, not solid wood! So that settles it - no 1GR10 for me
btw, i'm a big fan of cordoba guitars, including the C10. it's all solid, nice tone, nice finish. i believe the top is available in 2 woods - cedar and italian spruce.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by mongo_man
I got an answer from the importer I talked about, and appearantly this model has laminated sides and back, not solid wood! So that settles it - no 1GR10 for me

I wouldn't be prejudiced against laminated b&s. I've got a whole lot of fancy gear, and out of my four steel string flattops, two are lam b&s, and they get more playing time than the two solid ones. In the lower price ranges, they could well be a safer bet than solid. I recently tried a very inexpensive Katoh that had a cedar top and laminated (sapele?) b&s, and it was the best sounding nylon string I have played in years.
A quick look at your profile tells me that you're not a true dyed in the wool classical player.

Have you looked at, seen, or heard Cordoba's "Fusion" series guitars? They're equipped with cutaways, shallow radius fret boards, interesting finishes, (their jet black is cool), and available in 12 or 14 fret models.

Just the thing for someone jumping back and forth between steel string and nylon string playing. It seems to me like it would smooth out some of the culture shock.
Quote by Captaincranky
A quick look at your profile tells me that you're not a true dyed in the wool classical player.

Have you looked at, seen, or heard Cordoba's "Fusion" series guitars? They're equipped with cutaways, shallow radius fret boards, interesting finishes, (their jet black is cool), and available in 12 or 14 fret models.

Just the thing for someone jumping back and forth between steel string and nylon string playing. It seems to me like it would smooth out some of the culture shock.

I've played one, cedar/lam b&s, very nice. Easy to play and a reasonable tone.
Quote by Captaincranky

Heh, yeah.. Just re-visited my old UG account, things have changed since 2007, but my profile had not. Interests develop
But thanks, I'll check out the Fusion series, but I already got a nice Martin guitar, so now I'm just looking for a decent classical guitar.
Have you tried the Cordoba c10? And what about Alhambra 8P?
Member of Bugera Users Militia
- Ibanez JPM P3 (John Petrucci Signature)
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
- Electro Harmonix Memory Boy