Hi, I am looking to buy some new gear for bedroom use only. I currently have a line 6 spider 15 which I never use as don't like the sound it gives. I have a line 6 pod 2.0 and a boss br600 which I use through a cd player. The sound through the stereo is ok but I would like a better sound.

I mainly play rock and metal. I have a budget of £200 to £300. Would a new practice amp be better or some active speakers to run the pod 2.0 and the boss br600 through? Would speakers be a marked improvement on stereo system I am using now?

Thanks for any advice.
Converted to USD, $300-450 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?clk_rvr_id=762228443429&mfe=search&_nkw=combo%20tube%20amp&_dcat=10171&rt=nc&_pppn=r1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=300&_udhi=450

I also see the Peavey VYPYR Tube 60 recommended a lot. I have a Peavey ValveKing and I like it, but you'll need a speaker swap.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 10, 2015,
It's all very subjective.
If you play rock/metal bands on your stereo and they sound good then your speakers are obviously fine. If metal sounds shit, then your stereo is obviously sub par and that will help a lot.

Pod 2.0 is quite good sound-wise for a beginner guitarist so that should be fine.
One of youtube's best metal cover guitarists, Killrbuckeye uses it for most of his stuff and you should agree that his tone is pretty sweet.

One thing to ask yourself tho is WHY your sound is bad. Is it really your speakers lacking or have you dialed in bad settings on the POD?

Regarding monitor speakers - They won't make your guitar sound "better", they'll just make it sound more tonally accurate, which might not actually be better sounding to you.
In fact, while not as "accurate" most stereo systems sound a lot better than monitors.

Also regarding amps, the best bedroom amp for rock and metal is the old Peavey Vypyr(non-tube) series, the 15W/30W version. (Vypyr Tube 60 isn't for bedroom volumes and the new Vypyr VIP series are trash). It has amazingly good models of most of the best metal amps out there and you'll be very very happy with how it sounds even at low volumes.
Last edited by Xioinor at Jan 10, 2015,
Thanks for the replies. It's more than likely that I need to spend some serious time on the pod 2.0 to try to get some better tones. Any other good amps for bedroom use? The Peavey sounds good but difficult to find
Last edited by eldraco at Jan 11, 2015,
Killrbuckeye has his POD 2.0 settings posted on his website, it might help you a lot - http://www.killrbuckeye.com/POD_Settings.php

One thing some people forget is to set up a guitar cabinet simulation in the effects chain, if you havent already. Without it it would sound like crap.

I've tested a lot of amps for my bedroom use and really nothing comes even close to the vypyr. It can sound just as good as a $3000 tube amp on the right settings. The problem with the good sounding tube amps is that in order for them to sound good, they need to be played at high volume(cause of the tubes) which is more like venue-volume and is quite brutal for a bedroom.
It's possible to use special equipment to make them sound good at low volumes but it's quite technicky not really worth it for home use unless you're one of "those" people. Also if you knew how to do that you wouldn't be starting this thread to begin with

So you need a solid-state modeling amp to emulate those great metal amps at lower volumes. There's pretty much only 2 good/cheap/bedroom ones on the market and that's the Peavey Vypyr and the Line 6 Spider. You didn't like the Spider so Vypyr is your only choice. You should be able to find one used, i've seen many on the british ebay(assuming you live in britain cause of the pounds). If not immediately available it's worth the wait and just camping ebay/amazon waiting for one to show up. Also many music retailers have one or two left over either in storage or as demo units.
Last edited by Xioinor at Jan 11, 2015,
how quietly do you have to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how quietly do you have to play?

not particularly quietly. Can have the volume at a reasonable level within reason.
Ok, thanks. Assuming your definitely of "reasonable level within reason" is similar to mine, lol, maybe a jet city on thomann? They're always out of stock of the combos, though. but the head and 112 cab should be just about under budget.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm

(you need a speaker cable too and a UK kettle lead)

or you can get the combo on the UK jet city store- http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca2212c/ (thomann was probably slightly cheaper, though (but depending on your credit card you can get hit with foreign transaction fee- on ours it's ~3%) and you get a 3 year warranty... )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is there a difference between the combo and the head and the cab in terms of sound?
Quote by eldraco
is there a difference between the combo and the head and the cab in terms of sound?

Not really, especially since the cab he linked is also a 1x12. If he had linked a 2x12 or 2x10 then there would be some things to consider. Can't go wrong with that combo though, especially since it's closed back (which I think is better, but some people prefer open back).
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Vypyr 30 +1
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Dave_Mc
Ok, thanks. Assuming your definitely of "reasonable level within reason" is similar to mine, lol, maybe a jet city on thomann? They're always out of stock of the combos, though. but the head and 112 cab should be just about under budget.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm

(you need a speaker cable too and a UK kettle lead)

or you can get the combo on the UK jet city store- http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca2212c/ (thomann was probably slightly cheaper, though (but depending on your credit card you can get hit with foreign transaction fee- on ours it's ~3%) and you get a 3 year warranty... )

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by eldraco

Not really.
Given the same configuration for each (open back or closed back, speaker choice).

Although I myself prefer the head and cab setup.
You can get a different head and still use the same cab (given compatible wattage and impedance), or use a different cab with the same head (again, given compatible wattage and impedance).
More versatility with the head cab config.

And if you take your amp to play somewhere else, the combo is heavier than the individual head and cab parts.
Quote by eldraco

far as i'm aware it's the same circuit with that model i posted, so it should be close (but probably not exactly 100% the same if the number and type of speakers are different). but some of the other combos have different circuits (the 50 watt 2x12 combo, for example, and the single channel 20 watt combo) so they'd be different.

Quote by Fisheth24

lol I meant "definition", not "definitely". Stupid typos.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?