Hi, everyone,

so I guess I'm an intermediate player, I've been casually playing guitar for like 5-6 years now, and I've been wondering about getting an amp upgrade.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and my current amp is an Epiphone Studio 15R - it's a 32W solidstate. I got it 5 years ago from a ~120$ pack that also included a guitar strap, jack, gigbag, headphones and tuner. I don't have any pedals yet, although I consider the possibility of buying a multi-effects thingy in the foreseeable future.

Mainly i play stuff like Alice in Chains, Guns 'n Roses, Nirvana, also some Metallica and occasionally some blues.

I don't want to seem cheap, but I don't want to spend too much money on a new amp (let's cap it at say 200-300$). According to what I've been reading on the interwebz, tube amps are generally better, but they are also considerably pricier - and i take it they require some maintenance, like changing the tubes every now and then? Not a big fan of that

I'd appreciate your advice on this, thanks everyone

P.S.: Not an English native speaker, please go easy on my English
Is that like a hybrid? I thought amp-wise it was all very black and white, you know it's either tube amp or solidstate, didn't realize there was a middle ground. As you can probably tell by now, I don't know a whole lot about amps and stuff xD
Peavey Vyper 60 tube. Used will be less than $300. Hybrid modelling amp. You should get a controller thrown in for that too.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by jorg.28

According to what I've been reading on the interwebz, tube amps are generally better, but they are also considerably pricier - and i take it they require some maintenance, like changing the tubes every now and then? Not a big fan of that

Not necessarily, I hear that jazz players tend to like solid state amps, because they don't overdrive when turned louder or something. For black metal, anything goes as long as it sounds awful enough.

For classic rock, you'll want that gnarly, punchy tube overdrive sound, and personally I find it more important for blues than anything else, because blues makes the best use of the tube amp's dynamics. You don't have to change your amp settings or use a footswitch, going from clean to crunch is right in your fingertips.

Generally, a tube amp's attack, punch, response, warmth is essential for blues at least how I play it.

Beware though, the first time you play a tube amp you may be put off because it sounds too harsh or scratchy. But once you get used to it, I find it difficult to go back to a SS' poor dynamics.

Pricing is a problem of course. I'm not much into classic rock, but for blues I rather like my Laney Cub-10. Be warned though, it's a minimalist one-channel amp with only tone, volume, and gain controls, and that's it. To get some actual overdrive, you'll have to raise the volume. I believe most cheap tube amps are pretty minimalist.

As for exchanging tubes, I have two tube amps and one hybrid for years, and never changed a tube yet, they still work fine.

Laney Cub-10 demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-CKwzsmvkU
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 10, 2015,
Right, of course there are hybrid amps, SS amps that use a tube for overdrive. That may be more like what you're looking for. Sweeter overdrive but at reasonable price points.

I think the Vox Valvetronix series isn't bad.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 10, 2015,
Will look into it, it's a brave new world . Appreciate all the advice so far, guys!
vypyr or jet city combo, jet city is the only amp i never had feedback problems with.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
@ Right, of course there are hybrid amps, SS amps that use a tube for overdrive.

Not all Hybrids use this system. To name a couple, Marshall AVT uses Tube preamp and SS power amp. Vypyr uses SS Pre and All Tube Power amp. It's whatever floats your boat really.

I own both and love them equally. I just got a replacement All tube Bugera 333 too, and that works nice with pedals, as does the marshall. Try out different gear and see what works best for you. If you can't decide...BUY THEM ALL...lol. you can never have enough gear.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Thanks, everyone! I've been checking online for the amps (used) you mentioned, will get to the nearby music stores to try out whichever ones they got :P
You could also find a Mk 1 Spider valve 1x12 or 2x12 in that budget. Not an awful amp and it is all tube.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
You could also find a Mk 1 Spider valve 1x12 or 2x12 in that budget. Not an awful amp and it is all tube.

No it is still a hybrid, but it is more tube than most because it does incorporate 1 preamp tube. But they are decent amps and I kinda of regret getting rid of my HD100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No it is still a hybrid, but it is more tube than most because it does incorporate 1 preamp tube. But they are decent amps and I kinda of regret getting rid of my HD100

My Spider Valve 212 had 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes....
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I play very similar music to you, I'd go for a Micro Terror and a Marshall 1x10 or 1x12 if you are keeping to that budget. No need for pedals and is a hybrid of good quality plus it has a few features which aren't included on other affordable tube amps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Quote by TheStig1214
My Spider Valve 212 had 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes....

It has 1 12ax7 in the preamp the other is the phase inverter for the power tubes, but the tone/modeling is done by digital software, not tubes so it is indeed a hybrid amp. I had mine moded with the Strymon SVpre which actually adds another 12ax7 in the preamp and a selector for different levels of "tube push" and it makes the amp that much better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 11, 2015,
Quote by jorg.28
Is that like a hybrid? I thought amp-wise it was all very black and white, you know it's either tube amp or solidstate, didn't realize there was a middle ground. As you can probably tell by now, I don't know a whole lot about amps and stuff xD

yeah i think he was sort of taking a dig at blackstar there, rather than recommending it. but i could be wrong.

also fwiw the amp you currently have is 15W, 32W is the power consumption, not output.

what type(s) of music do you play and what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i think he was sort of taking a dig at blackstar there, rather than recommending it. but i could be wrong.

also fwiw the amp you currently have is 15W, 32W is the power consumption, not output.

what type(s) of music do you play and what's your budget?

I play mostly Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Guns n' Roses, also some Metallica and AC/DC and stuff and occasionally blues. Let's say my budget is 200-300$
thanks. you might struggle to get something tube which will do all of those tones with that kind of budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that :| which is why maybe I'll buy some pedals also in the not so distant future.
Quote by jorg.28
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that :| which is why maybe I'll buy some pedals also in the not so distant future.

That's like buying a video game before buying the console. You can get a decent used amp for $300 (edit: depending on where in the world you are).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 11, 2015,