Hello everyone, now I know some of you will tell me to look before posting, but this is more personally on my gear.

I have a Mesa Triple Rectifier, I keep it on a clean setting, and I use a POD HD500. I play a lot of heavy music like Volumes, The Acacia Strain, Chelsea Grin, Black Tongue, Oceano, Bodom, etc.

I need help with my sound basically. I have tried so many times to dial in with my pod and I just can't seem to find a good distortion tone, I also like to have a decent clean tone and the pod pulls that off fairly well. If anyone out there has any suggestions when it comes to the POD HD500 going through the Mesa Triple Rec, I'd appreciate some advice. But on the other hand, if any of you have any better pedals to recommend by all means let me know. I know when it comes to POD's you'll never get an amazing sound, but if anyone has personal experience with them and can give me a decent setup for it I'll take that first before going out and spending money on a pedal I might not have to purchase. I'll be waiting for reply's, thanks everyone.
Last edited by scottbarrett4 at Jan 11, 2015,
Use the amp for distortion?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by scottbarrett4
I prefer to use a pedal with the amp's clean setting.

Apparently not. Have you tried a decent gain pedal?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 11, 2015,
using a POD for distortion when you have a Trip Rec is a bit silly. use the gain you have on tap or buy yourself a new distortion pedal. the POD doesn't do dirty pedals well.
mojostompboxes.com
I've never heard of anyone with a Mesa amp that doesn't use its drive channel. You might want to try a different "voiced" amp or simply use a distortion pedal. I suggest using a bit of drive from the amp and adding an overdrive and boost to give you more harmonics and all the grit for your sound.
I am looking into the pedals mesa specifically makes to go along with the rect. It's just that the volume gets too loud from channels 2 and 3 when I'm practicing at home. & I'd like to stop carrying my pod out to shows and stuff, it's way too heavy and it does have that not so good sound to it, I only aksed about the pod first because if you have something then why not use it... Now, I see they have a throttle box 5 band EQ with distortion. and a Flux drive 5 band EQ with overdrive. They're on the mesa site, What would you think about replacing the pod with one of these and sticking to the channels on the rect. I feel like the EQ would be nice to have, and let's say when I'm just at home, I can keep the volume low on the rect and just click in the distortion. Any thoughts?
Last edited by scottbarrett4 at Jan 11, 2015,
Get an attenuator?
My gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST
Behringer TU300
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive V2
Ibanez WH10V2
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Danelectro Fab Delay
Behringer DR600
Blackstar HT-5
I never heard of that before. I guess it bypasses the volume? That way I can get the most from the drive and maintain a good volume level for at home?
maybe contemplate a lower wattage amp then if its too loud..
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by scottbarrett4
I prefer to use a pedal with the amp's clean setting.

WUT R U DOIN

I'll trade you my 5150 III 50 watt.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
You should be able to find a footswitch for that amp, so that you can dial in both a clean and dirty tone at relative volumes and switch between them with the switch. Use the POD to boost the distortion/clean tone, along with modulation and time based effects.
what method are you using to hook your POD to your amp?...i use mine with all different amps and most of the time two amps together and i'd never choose POD dirt over real amp dirt....it may be the way you have it hooked up and/or settings thats got you not pleased with the tone
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY

I absolutely use my HD 500 all the time. I put it in my FX loop, switch the output from line to amp and keep the master volume around 11-12 o clock, this makes it a volume attenuator. No amp sims, use it strictly as an FX unit. This will let you get the high gain sound out of the amp without busting down the walls of your house with volume. I find 4 cable method cuts a lot of highs, personally. Also make sure the output in the system setting is set to "Stack Power Amp", otherwise it throws on all these EQs what make is sound like ass.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Jan 11, 2015,
Thestig1214, thank you for some advice. I completely forgot to say I also have a jamman as well. As of now, I have my guitar going through the pod guitar in, the pod goes from the r mono output and goes through my left mono in plug on my jamman, I then have the jamman going from the right out into the input on my mesa. I know now that isn't the proper way to do it, and I also forgot about using the jamman to control the volume for at home, so that's solved in case I start using the mesas dirt, but I would like to know how to properly have it all hooked up. After some of the advise, I would like to start using the amps dirt channels, but if possible keep the pod to sort of boost it when needed, at least until I have money to buy a gain pedal. Could you tell me the proper way of having everything setup? I know you said through the FX loop, but I really dont know what all needs to be done exactly. This is one of those things I've never been good at lol
The problem with having either that Jamman or Pod controlling your volume in front of the amp is any sort of volume control in front of the amp controls both gain and volume. This may actually be part of your problem. Cutting down the volume of signal going into the input on the amp cuts the gain.

What I do personally is I have a tuner, wah (and soon and OD) in front of the amp. So we have Guitar>tuner>wah>OD>amp input. Then out of the amps FX loop I go to the POD. As I said, I use it strictly for FX (phaser, delays, volume swell, ect). I also have that small switch next to the expression pedal on the POD labelled '1/4" Out' set to "amp", because what is coming out of your amps FX loop is line level. Setting it to amp cuts it down from line level and will make the POD act as an attenuator. Then the L or R 1/4" out to the amp's FX in. Then I put the POD's master volume at 11 o clock or so just to cut it down a bit more and then my amps volume is at 2 out of 10, making it perfect for bedroom levels.

I would also recommend putting the Jamman in the FX loop. Time based FX like loopers, delays, Reverbs, phasers ect ect ect are better in the FX loop because then you are sampling the preamp signal with the gain as opposed to the direct guitar signal. So you're looping the distorted signal instead of distorting the looped signal, which can cause all sorts of problems.

So in short, your POD may be better served in the FX loop to act as an attenuator. You won't be able to use it to boost or overdrive the signal going into the amp though. You may not need it though, you're playing through a friggin Triple Rectifier....
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Call me an idiot all you guys want. But i just can't get the pedal to go through the fx loop. I just dont know. I've switched and plugged everything I could think of and nothing.
Try the 4 cable method.

If the amps too loud for you to properly use the OD channels, then why did you by a 150watt Triple Rec?!?!?!

Dude, I don't even know what would go through my brain if I saw a guy show up to a gig with a triple rec, and proceed to throw a pod on it's clean channel..... You really need to research you equipment, and learn how to use it to it's full potential.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
Try the 4 cable method.

If the amps too loud for you to properly use the OD channels, then why did you by a 150watt Triple Rec?!?!?!

Dude, I don't even know what would go through my brain if I saw a guy show up to a gig with a triple rec, and proceed to throw a pod on it's clean channel..... You really need to research you equipment, and learn how to use it to it's full potential.

Obviously. Why do you think I'm on these forums asking people how to do these things accordingly. Spending hours doing research to see what options would be best.
Quote by scottbarrett4
Call me an idiot all you guys want. But i just can't get the pedal to go through the fx loop. I just dont know. I've switched and plugged everything I could think of and nothing.

What do you mean nothing? No sound? Check the mixer in the FX chain right after the amp. Make sure it's faded 100% towards the side you are using to go out, either right or left. Also make sure you have everything plugged in right, amp FX send to pod in, then pod out to amp fx return. And make sure the dial above the FX send is set to "loop on" and the other two knobs are set to "normal". Also don't have any FX loops in your POD's FX chain, that will cut your sound by routing the output towards the POD's FX loop. I'd avoid the 4 cable method personally. As I said before, it cuts treble for some reason.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Jan 11, 2015,
Sounds like a case of way too much gear, and not enough understanding of how the gear works.

My suggestion:

Use the Pod with headphones and dial in the exact guitar tone you are looking for. Save your patches. Then plug the Pod into a nice powered wedge that will faithfully reproduce all those great tones live. You are currently defeating both the awesome tone available from your Pod processing, and the awesome tone available from the Mesa. Choose one or the other but not both.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by scottbarrett4
Obviously. Why do you think I'm on these forums asking people how to do these things accordingly. Spending hours doing research to see what options would be best.

There's no problem with asking for help, I just really, really wish you had asked before you dropped like 3k on that setup. Like Cajundaddy stated, if you're not going to use the Mesa to it's full potential, you should have just bought a nice wedge, and saved you self a boat tonne of cash.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Well I'm deciding to use just the pod with headphones when I just want to practice at home, or make videos.. I'm looking into getting a tubescreamer pedal, a nice reverb pedal for when I'm using cleans or even for solos, and I'm gonna look into getting an equalizer along with a nice noise suppressor as well.
So is this correct:

- You're going to use the POD for home only, through headphones for practice.

- You're going to use the Triple Rec on its clean channel only, eventually with the above mentioned pedals (minus the pod)?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
No. I'm going to use a tubescreamer or some kind of overdrive or gain pedal along with the channels 2 or 3 on the amp to add an extra boost when needed.
Also would like to not I'm not playing indie, blues, jazz, classic rock, hard rock, or anything like that. I'm going for the heavy shit, which is why I think some sort of gain or overdrive pedal will be more for me along with channels 2 or 3
Ah dude I had to laugh when I heard you were using the pod amp sims for your high gain and not the Mesa.

I've got a dual rec and pod hd pro though so I'll tell you how I go about it.

I use the pod for headphone use and travelling as it is a lot more mobile. I'm not crazy about the cab sims it has though.

You will fall in love with the Mesa's heavy tones if you get to know how to dial it. My (simplified) signal chain looks like (excluding a few pedals):
guitar --> maxon od808 --> isp decimator --> MESA --> Boss GE7 in loop

The maxon od808 is an overdrive pedal (balance maxed, overdrive 0, tone to taste). It will tighten up the bottom end, as well as give it some mids. There are other options here too (checkout youtube pedal shootouts etc). The fulltone OCD is popular too.

I just got the ISP decimator noisegate today. Some guys run it in the fx loop too, but most of my noise is coming from the maxon, so that's where it'll probably stay. Simple but does it's job (it's also surprisingly heavy).

An EQ is almost essential imo. There are plenty of options here too. There's the 10 & 6 band mxr's, danelectro fish n'chips, biyang 7 band and boss ge7.
I've gone for the Boss. Some people find that it adds a lot of excess noise, but so far mine hasn't at all (there are mods available to silence it if need be). It also has level on it to adjust volume (I'd keep it neutral for gigging, but it's handy for home use with such a loud amp). For home use I cut some of the 100hz and push up the 3.2k and 6.4k a few dB because they seem to disappear at low volume.

Also what year model is your triple rec?
generally wattage does not equal volume, but to a point. what cab are you playing through? if its holding that head, im guessing a 4x12? i personally think 4x12 are sillyfor anybody these days unless you have a gang of roadies.

that, and 150 watts...jeez dude thats just soo much. i mean, wattage does not equal volume, but 150 is just so far overkill its just silly.
_____

that being said, i personally would ditch all pedals and effects at home and learn how to use your amp first. get good tone out of it, and then compliment it with pedals. learn every knob, etc.

there is a way to make that amp playable in the house. it may be on level 0.5 volume, but so be it. generally on an amp with master and channel volumes, there is a way. even me - i have a 50 wat 2x12. its a bit silly form me even. it scales to 7 watts, but that does little to bring down the volume. i have it in my bedroom closet and shut the door, run teh cables under the door. i can still play loud (amp settings) but it doesnt really piss anybody off. there IS a way if you find it.

no pod or anything is going to help you if you cant run your amp right. fix that and your half way there. secondly - that mesa is capable of tones that pod cant even dream of. i personally cant imagine using them together, besides, thats a ton of money man.

3rdly, though a POD can do everything, its basically a rig on a board. you can just gig with that thing direct lines into the mixer. so if things are too complicated, for the sake of time and easy, you may want to learn to use your pod as its own rig. find good tone in that. .....brings me back to point#1, learn to get tone out of every peice of gear you own individually.

i personally would do my best to run all my tones out of the amp and use the pod for spacey effects like delay and modulation in the FX loop only.

OR - i would take that 500 dollar investment and learn to use it as its own rig, and sell the mesa. thats how i would use a POD500 if i dropped 500 on one. it would be a choice for a consilidated, digital, easy to setup, plug and play portable rig. thats how i see value in that product. not as "just FX".

to me, they are contradictory. but i am a pureist. i have no problem buying an amp as a clean base and running a multi-FX into it, but you didnt do that. you have a fire breathing beast of a metal amp and are disregarding all of its this beauty. so i see a conflict.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 12, 2015,
I've already came up with some things and I even got my tone set up for just the triple rec alone and it's serving me pretty well, I just need to get an overdrive pedal, probably the maxon od808 for that bit extra, and possibly an isp decimator and a reverb pedal, not sure which one yet, and I'll be good to go.

All I did was position my cab differently so it isn't directly blowing into my face and I also threw it on the 50 watt setting. I'm just gonna use the pod when I'm in my bedroom at night and want to practice. But thanks to everyone for helping me out. I actually found a great setup for my mesa and its almost what I've been looking for. If you have any advise on a good reverb pedal that would be great, or any other pedal or rack that goes well with the triple rec i'd appreciate it.
ISP Decimator is a good gate, as well as the MXR Noise Gate.

Personal favorites for reverb are the Hall of Fame or a Strymon Blue Sky.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by 1570-Shred
Ah dude I had to laugh when I heard you were using the pod amp sims for your high gain and not the Mesa.

I've got a dual rec and pod hd pro though so I'll tell you how I go about it.

I use the pod for headphone use and travelling as it is a lot more mobile. I'm not crazy about the cab sims it has though.

You will fall in love with the Mesa's heavy tones if you get to know how to dial it. My (simplified) signal chain looks like (excluding a few pedals):
guitar --> maxon od808 --> isp decimator --> MESA --> Boss GE7 in loop

The maxon od808 is an overdrive pedal (balance maxed, overdrive 0, tone to taste). It will tighten up the bottom end, as well as give it some mids. There are other options here too (checkout youtube pedal shootouts etc). The fulltone OCD is popular too.

I just got the ISP decimator noisegate today. Some guys run it in the fx loop too, but most of my noise is coming from the maxon, so that's where it'll probably stay. Simple but does it's job (it's also surprisingly heavy).

An EQ is almost essential imo. There are plenty of options here too. There's the 10 & 6 band mxr's, danelectro fish n'chips, biyang 7 band and boss ge7.
I've gone for the Boss. Some people find that it adds a lot of excess noise, but so far mine hasn't at all (there are mods available to silence it if need be). It also has level on it to adjust volume (I'd keep it neutral for gigging, but it's handy for home use with such a loud amp). For home use I cut some of the 100hz and push up the 3.2k and 6.4k a few dB because they seem to disappear at low volume.

Also what year model is your triple rec?

I got it in 2012. It's a 2010 model, multi-watt dual & triple rec. I'm gonna take your advise with the pedals and whatnot.
Quote by scottbarrett4
I got it in 2012. It's a 2010 model, multi-watt dual & triple rec. I'm gonna take your advise with the pedals and whatnot.

Awesome. Good to read that you're starting to enjoy your triple rec. Even if you decide later it's not the amp for you you'll still have an OD and noise gate .
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
UPDATE: I picked up the Maxon OD808, MXR 10 band EQ, and the ISP Decimator. Made an INCREDIBLE difference. and I'm also utilizing the amps channels. The difference between the tone from using my pod is absolutely insane. Couldn't be happier with the setup.
Man this thread is a roller coaster. You're crazy dude. Glad you're getting sorted out.

You may be doing it already, but just to make sure/double check: if you put an EQ (or any pedal with a level control) in your amp's FX loop, and lower the level on the pedal, it will make your master volume on your amp more controllable, and you'll be able to turn it up on the amp higher, and get a better tone at bedroom volumes. It's pretty much absolutely essential for playing high gain monsters in your house quietly.

IMO the POD HD has some pretty good sounding FX in it already. You didn't really need to buy the EQ or the Noise Gate, you could just put the POD in your FX loop and get almost every effect you could want. I still go analog OD for boosting a tube amp though, no problem there with the Maxon.

If you want to ditch the POD and just have a small pedalboard, the Hardwire RV-7 is a really good little reverb pedal. If you're looking for something more specialized/ambient I can help you there too, but for just a touch/general use, the RV-7 is a great buy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go pick up Meambobbo's Pod HD tone guide:

http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/
That'll help you in getting a good tone out of your HD500, particularly if you're running gainy sounds. It tells you where the fizzy bits come from and how to get rid of them. Trust me, you can get virtually everything you need from the Pod.

If you're listening to your Pod directly, make sure you have good headphones (Sony 7506, BeyerDynamic 770, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, etc.) and not a set of four buck buds or bass-boomy "Beats."

You should be able to go directly from the output of your HD500 to the Return of your FX loop; I've done it for years with my tube amps. This eliminates the whole business of the Mesa's preamp section adding all of its opinions (and this is true even on the clean channel). Worst case, check in with the Line 6 forums and have them walk you through it.

Consider running the Pod directly into a PA-style full range powered speaker (typical is a Carvin PM-12A or PM-15A). The speakers of the Mesa will color things yet again.

If you want to take the Pod up a notch, look into the Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. -- this substitutes IRs for the cabinet choices in the Pod, and you can also select tube power amp simulations (KT88, EL34, EL84, 6L6, etc.).

The benefit of running just the Pod (or the Pod plus the C.A.B.) is that you'll always have pretty much the same sound, whether you're using headphones, recording monitors, powered speakers or an arena PA system
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 15, 2015,