Okay, someone please help me figure out what's wrong with my mix. I have been working on this song for a few days, but this mix is just, well, awful. Idk what is off about it. I tried adjusting the levels of everything from the drums to the guitars, and no amount of tweaking is helping me. Is it my bass tone? I tracked bass 3 times, I felt the first 2 takes where way too distorted and fuzzy but maybe this take is too clean? If you have anything that might help me please feel free to share. (This isn't about my playing, so please don't tell me that its my playing that sucks, I know it sucks, but it's not the reason the mix is off)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNjabbLECak

Idk if it is relevant but I'll post what I'm using anyway.
Guitar-Agile Interceptor Pro 7 with EMG 707s
Bass-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V
Drums- Superior Drummer 2.0 with the Metal Foundry expansion
Amp- Axe FX II Mark II
DAW-Reaper
Last edited by cheosamad at Jan 11, 2015,
The guitars are too loud, drums are way too quiet. I think that's the main problem. Drums do add a lot of heaviness to the track and make it sound fuller. Now this sounds like it lacks a lot of bass and highs too. It's pretty mid range oriented (and that's because the guitars are too loud when compared to everything else).

I can't really hear the bass guitar either. Does it double the guitar part? If that's the case, then I understand. But it could still be a bit louder because as I said, the sound is really mid range oriented.

But yeah, first you need to turn down the guitars or turn everything else up (I would say do both).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The guitars are too loud, drums are way too quiet. I think that's the main problem. Drums do add a lot of heaviness to the track and make it sound fuller. Now this sounds like it lacks a lot of bass and highs too. It's pretty mid range oriented (and that's because the guitars are too loud when compared to everything else).

I can't really hear the bass guitar either. Does it double the guitar part? If that's the case, then I understand. But it could still be a bit louder because as I said, the sound is really mid range oriented.

But yeah, first you need to turn down the guitars or turn everything else up (I would say do both).

It doubles the rhythm guitar, but I also posted this on a few other forums and they all agree, drums too quiet, guitars too loud. I'm gonna try to fix those 2 things today and post the results later.
Please use the Crit My Mix sticky at the top of the forum for feedback
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com