Page 1 of 2
Recently I've found myself with way too much free time and the idea of learning a new language seems really appealing. What resources would to recommend to learn a new language, and what languages are the best to learn?

I did GCSE German so I've got a pretty decent, if rusty knowledge of that. But I'd like to learn something a bit sexier than German, so thinking of French or something. Or should I learn something like Mandaring .

I got recommend the app Duolingo to learn a language, anyone have experience of that?
Duolingo is pretty good as a supplementary app. It doesn't explain grammar and syntax though.

French is tough because differences in singular and plurals are pretty subtle to the baka gaijin ear
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jan 11, 2015,
Learn Russian or French fosho, they're the cashest languages out there

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Cianyx
Duolingo is pretty good as a supplementary app. It doesn't explain grammar and syntax though.

French is tough because differences in singular and plurals are pretty subtle to the baka gaijin ear

I learned a bit of French back in Year 8 and I was pretty decent at it but then in Year 9 we went back to only learning German for some reason.
Leanr Klingon or Elvish. Bitches love Klingon and Elvish. Especially Klingon.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Yeah, you could learn some useless euro language that you'll never reeeallly need to know.

Id recommend Mandairy though as theyre the 2nd largest economy after USA, so probably will be good to know in the future.

I recommend Chineasy. Ive picked up on light amts of stuff, but the way they construct their language is really cool, and how they form words after you learn some of the main-er symbols is interesting.
I've learned more Chinese in the past week from a book than any language I've done for any length of time on Duolingo. Duo is fun but I don't retain anything from it. It is useful for figuring out if you're serious about learning a language and I use it to practice Spanish since I don't really have any exposure to it where I live.

I plan to learn as many languages as possible because it's fun
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jan 11, 2015,
Quote by Cianyx

They also butcher the pronunciation in a few of the languages. I know because my Mom laughed her ass off when I spent 6 weeks learning some basic conversational Dutch so I could talk to her in her native tongue.

I'm finding Duolingo+internet videos taught by people who actually speak the language to be effective. And of course, good ol' asking someone who grew up speaking it (thanks Mom!)

FSI has some pretty good language courses and they're all free
i am learning russian on my own and it is alright... but i have been neglecting it lately since i am too busy. i also took mandarin last semester but can't fit it in this semester so i might try to learn more on my own

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I learned a bit of French back in Year 8 and I was pretty decent at it but then in Year 9 we went back to only learning German for some reason.

they decided that the germans were still more likely to take over you than the french
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I found German easier to learn then French but I wish I never learned (at a rudimentary level) both. Now, whenever I try and speak French my brain throws in German words and vice versa. But its nice at least to be able to read both fairly fluently. French seems to work better with Spanish and Italian, wish I had learned one of them along with French instead of German, its just too different. Not sure what is most compatible with German.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by K'Nuckles
中國不愛你,鬼老.

Really though, just grab a copy of Rosetta Stone (legally, of course ).

人!!! 垃圾!!!
I recommend Greek, for the simple fact you can learn a lot about history with it.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Duolingo is fun, but you'll need to learn grammar, syntax etc. elsewhere. There are lots of good beginners books and grammar books on Amazon for decent prices.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
learn ancient greek.

pros:
- language is dead like your soul
- sounds funny
- cool alphabet
- impressive

cons:
- really hard
- would have something in common with me
I would find something better to do with your time. Seriously, unless you 5 years old, it's not worth the effort. I live in a place that I can't speak the language, I can get by but when I leave here, I'll probably never use it again (Spanish) so why bother. Translator apps will do it all in the future as well.
Rosetta Stone and "[Language] for Dummies" books are excellent. But the absolute best way to learn, if you can find a way, is immersion. Obviously.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jan 11, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola
Rosetta Stone and "[Language] for Dummies" books are excellent. But the absolute best way to learn, if you can find a way, is immersion. Obviously.

Shameless plug: Berlitz

Based on total immersion.

Basically you walk into class every day and the teacher won't speak a word of any other language except the one you've signed up for.
Quote by Tempoe
I would find something better to do with your time. Seriously, unless you 5 years old, it's not worth the effort. I live in a place that I can't speak the language, I can get by but when I leave here, I'll probably never use it again (Spanish) so why bother. Translator apps will do it all in the future as well.

I've just noticed this, and I strongly disagree. Learning languages, especially to the point of fluency, has plenty of advantages. Of course, not every language has an equal potential for usefulness, but I can't imagine why anyone would think it's a waste of time.
Quote by Fat Lard
人!!! 垃圾!!!

哈哈哈。。。什么?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by EndTheRapture51

But I'd like to learn something a bit sexier than German, so thinking of French or something. Or should I learn something like Mandaring .

There's a sexier language than German?
Quote by K'Nuckles
中國不愛你,鬼老.

Really though, just grab a copy of Rosetta Stone (legally, of course ).

I can't speak for all of the other versions, but the Japanese Rosetta Stone is definitely not the place to start.
Quote by Knarrenheino
There's a sexier language than German?

No

ich komme ich komme so feucht
Check out my band Disturbed
Languages like Mandarin and Japanese are best learned in a classroom/immersion situation. Not only because the words can mean very different things based on what's around them, but also because they're very tonal. Aside from the context definitions and tonality, though I can't speak for Mandarin specifically, Japanese has 3 separate 'alphabets,' Kanji, hiragana, and katakana - the traditional characters, sounds for creating foreign words, and sounds for creating native Japanese words not covered by Kanji.

If you're looking for something "sexy," and something that you can learn without a classroom situation, Spanish and Italian are good choices, and they've got a large base of speakers, so they're not 'superfluous' as a secondary/third language. French is difficult because of the grammar, but it's not impossible. Again, that one's easier if you're immersed or in a classroom, but again, it's not impossible.

I've heard good things about Duolingo, and actually have it on my phone, but I haven't gotten around to messing with it yet. As far as learning, I taught myself Spanish with a college textbook and a bunch (a bunch haha) of notebooks for note taking and written exercises - I've found it easier for me personally to learn something and commit it to memory if I write it as well as saying it. I've heard that Rosetta Stone is incredible, but I know it's also incredibly expensive - hundreds of dollars, but people swear that it works very well.

Either way, learning another language is great for your brain, and it's great as a doorway of understanding for other cultures. Having learned Spanish, a bit of Japanese, and starting to work my way through Italian, I can't recommend learning another language enough.
S A stands for friend in mexican
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
let it be known that choosing to learn italian in highschool was one of my biggest mistakes

ugliest, most useless language ever. spanish would be a close second to that

list of commonly learned languages in descending order of awesomeness

russian > french > english > german >>> spanish > italian

oh, and no offense to the one italian guy i remember coming here. i'm sure you're an awesome human being but your language is definitely not one of my favourite sounds to hear

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 11, 2015,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
let it be known that choosing to learn italian in highschool was one of my biggest mistakes

oh, and no offense to the one italian guy i remember coming here. i'm sure you're an awesome human being but your language is definitely not one of my favourite sounds to hear

Italian is ugly, but Russian is not? That is rather strange for me to hear. While Italian may not be widely spoken, it is not useless or ugly. No language is useless. Russian and German are certainly abrasive to my ears though.

I am nearly fluent in Spanish at this point. I've found it quite useful in my travels and it is pretty useful to know because of how widely spoken the language is.

English is rather useful and I have the benefit of having it as a native language. Most people learn it as their second language. However, I don't feel like I shouldn't be learning other languages just because a lot of people speak English.
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Yes!! I always refrain from saying this because I know that I'll almost invariably get shit on, but yeah, I really dislike the sound of Italian.
You should learn a language that will make you money, hence you should learn PHP or JavaScript.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by JamSessionFreak

I was going to learn Russian at one point, but my laziness and short attention span got in the way.

I agree that Italian sucks, but I have to disagree about Spanish though. For me it's definitely above French.
Quote by zackk
Italian is ugly, but Russian is not? That is rather strange for me to hear. While Italian may not be widely spoken, it is not useless or ugly. No language is useless. Russian and German are certainly abrasive to my ears though.

I am nearly fluent in Spanish at this point. I've found it quite useful in my travels and it is pretty useful to know because of how widely spoken the language is.

English is rather useful and I have the benefit of having it as a native language. Most people learn it as their second language. However, I don't feel like I shouldn't be learning other languages just because a lot of people speak English.

The robustness of the Russian language is exactly what I love about it and the softness and mildness of Italian is what I hate about it but all of that is subjective of course.

The utter uselessness of Italian however is not up for debate. English is the global language. French is right behind it and German used to be spoken over half of Europe. Spanish and its cousin Portugese are widely spoken across an entire continent, Russian is the language of the largest country on Earth and one of the leading powers of the world.

But Italian? It's spoken in Italy and that's it. The country itself is small, relatively unimportant and an industrial small-fry. Literally the only place you can use it is its place of origin unless of course you wanna impress yourself at family-owned Italian restaurants.

It is, by definition, practically useless just like say Dutch, Finnish or Slovene. Hell, I live next to the goddamn place and have visited it many times, but the phrases I had to know can be counted on the fingers of either one of my hands.

Also it's fugly as hell.

Oh and franc, let it be known that I am perfectly fine with Portugese and wouldn't rank it anywhere near as low as Spanish.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Xiaoxi
You should learn a language that will make you money, hence you should learn PHP or JavaScript.

I'm learning JavaScript but it's not quite as socially useful as learning a foreign language.
Quote by ultimate-slash
I was going to learn Russian at one point, but my laziness and short attention span got in the way.

I agree that Italian sucks, but I have to disagree about Spanish though. For me it's definitely above French.

I'm willing to negotiate and put Spanish next to the big boys, provided that we agree to give Italian some concrete shoes and solidify its place in Lake Vaffanculo.

Oh and same for Russian. Signed up for lessons to get school credits but bailed out after two weeks because I couldn't handle going home 45 minutes later than usual. Thinking of giving it another go in the near future tho.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Sexellent. Updated list boys!

Russian > Spanish & French > English > German >>>
>>>

>>>

>>> Italian

Let it be known that I was gonna decorate this shit with some bubbles but it didn't turn out as cool as I wanted it to.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Page 1 of 2