So this lick is taken from Troy Stetina's speed mechanics book. its a lick for practising hammering onto different strings. Ive including the fingering underneath (giggity).

--------5--------------------------------------------------------------------
------------h8p6p5-----------h5h6h8------------------------------------
-------------------------h7--------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 4 2 1 3 1 2 4

I have been playing it using a "blues grip" (thumb over the top of the low e, as i usually play blues and need the support for bending), but have also tried it using a Classical guitar neck grip, ie thumb half way around the neck, as i am comfortable playing that as well.

When I play this lick and start the first hammer on run on the B string,, my 1, 2, and 3 fingers go sort of vertically down onto the strings and dont significantly touch the high e. However, my pinky wont curve over the top of the high E, and i end up practically barring the e and the b string to hit the G /8th fret on the b string. So when i take my pinky off, and on some of my other strings, i get the open strings ringing out a bit.

- Is it normal for a players pinky to be "flat" and not bend that much ? i know everyone is going to be different, but does anyone else have trouble with their pinky not being as dexterous ?

- How can i clean up my playing (in general), and not have open strings ringing out after H&ps ? is this a matter of finger strength and getting a really clean and strong hammer or pull ?
I love the 'hammering onto a new string' exercise, a lot of fun for me I didn't have much of a problem as you, but I did have that problem when doing these sorts of exercises on the lower wound strings. I would keep brushing the g string.

What helped me was exercise 8, the third trill exercise. Also, doing them slowly has helped me gain more independance over my fingers and actually pulling off with my fingers rather than my wrist. This way your fingers won't brush off the strings.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
has anyone else tried this ?

ive also noticed the open G rings out when i take my finger off the g string to repeat the lick. can anyone suggest what i need to do to stop open strings ringing after playing things like this. its never a problem when i play normally
Perhaps someone else can offer some advice. But I'm not sure if you just tabbed it wrong here and you've been playing the correct lick as shown in the book, but you pick the note on the G string instead of hammering it on

Either way you play it, the string should be muted once you lift your finger off the fret (while still touching the G string).
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by *Juno*
has anyone else tried this ?

ive also noticed the open G rings out when i take my finger off the g string to repeat the lick. can anyone suggest what i need to do to stop open strings ringing after playing things like this. its never a problem when i play normally

You're most likely pulling off with your fretting hand to hard. By the way can you properly mute with the palm of your right hand and the bottom of your fretting fingers?