I am thinking about buying a bass soon and I was just wondering will it damage me learning acoustic guitar, I want to learn them both and I have only been learning acoustic for a short while, what do you think?
some things you may not learn and develop as quickly as if you were learning the one instruments, but that's the same as if you were trying to learn any two things at once, not just instruments. In terms of being a negative, damaging endeavour? God no.
Learning French and Arabic at the same time wouldn't make you worse at one or the other, you'd just develop slower in both because you're spreading your focus around.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
No, actually it's not much harder to learn few languages at once, because some of them have many similarities.

And translating it to music - both bass and acoustic guitar are plucked stringed instruments, so they share many similarities as well. Don't worry about learning them both at once. It will actually help you.
Let's not argue about the analogy as long as the analogy got the point across. This isn't reddit, after all.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
They are practically the same, so I don't think it would even slow down your progress. You can practice chords and scales on the guitar and focus on other things (that are just as useful on guitar) with the bass.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
If you learn something on bass, you can play the same thing on acoustic. They kind of support each other. Of course they are different instruments - they sound different and feel a bit different, have a different range and different stuff works on them. But they are pretty close to each other. They have the same scales and chords. Same techniques apply to them.

I'm sure only playing acoustic will make you a better acoustic guitar player faster than if you play both acoustic and bass. But who cares? Playing multiple instruments makes you understand different instruments. It can make you a more versatile musician. And as I said, bass and guitar are really close to each other. If we were talking about learning flute and cello at the same time, it would be another story.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I find it to be very helpful knowing (not necessarily being particularly good at it though) both guitar and bass. In the original band I was in I wrote almost all my bass lines on my acoustic and knowing the chords visually on guitar makes it easier to play along with songs I don't necessarily know by watching the rhythm guitar player.
Quote by I_Am_Legacy
I am thinking about buying a bass soon and I was just wondering will it damage me learning acoustic guitar?

It will not damage you, but if you are one of the chosen few, the bass will call to you in a way that the guitar never can and never will. Soon you will become a bassist. Soon you will be one of us!

One of us!

One of us!

One of us!

Resistance is futile.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
It will not damage you, but if you are one of the chosen few, the bass will call to you in a way that the guitar never can and never will. Soon you will become a bassist. Soon you will be one of us!

One of us!

One of us!

One of us!

Resistance is futile.

From a theory standpoint, they are basically the same. From a dexterity standpoint, you have to exercise different muscle sets, and different sort flexibility or muscle memory on each.

This makes it very different from learning 2 languages, and stuff like that, because it's training your body that's where you lose ground.

Time you spend getting your hands to do more on bass, is time you are not spending learning to do more on acoustic.

If you just want to play for fun, it's not a big deal. You cannot become victor wooten and also tommy emmanuel. It's too much.

Those things don't stay with you forever also really. You train on an instrument. If you don't use those muscles and movements, you lose your strength and flexibility in those areas.

But, it's fine you don't really want to be beast. If you don't really want to be fast and have a high level of dexterity.