Hey guys, i tried analyzing the progression of this beat produced by yung gud.
I think i might be close but its still not there, im looking for help to understand whats going on here.
The progression i mentioned goes pretty much throughout the whole song.

Here's my take on it so far;
Key is Abminor, and progression(i think) is bVI - i - V7
Chords ive come up with:
Emaj7 - Abm/Eb - Eb7/Db

It sounds ok played over the progression but im sure something isnt right.
Thanks in advance for the help, i appreciate it.

Link: Yung Lean - Gatorade
Last edited by Ignore at Jan 11, 2015,
I would say it's in Eb (to me the last chord of the progression sounds like the tonic).

The progression sounds like 2 bars of Fbmaj7 - Gb6 - Ebadd9. (bII-bIII-I)

I'm not completely sure but I kind of sometimes hear the second bar of Fbmaj7 being a Dbm9 chord (so that the bass note would just change from Fb to Db). But maybe that's just me wanting to hear the chord change. Or maybe it was a melody note that I heard as a chord tone. I don't know.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 11, 2015,
if these are the only chords and progression ends in Abmin ..then yes its Abmin...I used the common tone (soprano Eb) for all the chords you listed and ended on Ab min with Eb also in the soprano and it sounds resolved in Abmin..at that point..also the decending bassline can alter how your hearing the resolve as the ear wants to have the bassline confirm the resolve..as such it is a IV-I (Db-Ab) feel in the bass..so its not as strong as a V-I would be..making the Soprano (Eb)note secondary as a resolve note..you also said these chords are .."..most of the song.." the missing chords may play a factor in the progression
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Jan 11, 2015,
Thanks for the taking the time!
@MaggaraMarine
Its interesting how people hear different things, the Gb6 fits nicely although i cant agree on the Ebadd9. Youre right that that Dbm9 chord could fit really well, im not sure it doest come up either but it definitely could very well be.

@Wolflen
Did you listen to the song by the way? Cause it seems like you analyzed my theory or something. I suggest you do so and judge for yourself cause i think you got some things misunderstood. The progression does not end in Abmin and there are no chords missing either. I would be be very interested in your analysis of the piece though cause it seems like you know your theory.
Wolfen: If you listened to the song, these are the only chords (Fbmaj7, Gb6 and Ebadd9). It fades out in the end. There are no Abm chords in the song.

What also makes the Eb feel like the tonic is the fact that the highest note of all of the chords in the progression is an Eb. It's kind of a "pedal point" in the highest voice.

It has kind of a "phrygian dominant" feel to it. Kind of similar progression as in Chick Corea's Spain.

TS:

It is definitely an Ebadd9. There's no 7th in the chord. It is voiced something like this (from lowest note to highest note): Eb F G Bb Eb. I'm not sure about the exact voicing though. It may not have a fifth or the lowest note is not necessarily an Eb (it could be F). But yeah, there's definitely an 9 in the chord and no 7th. And it's a major chord.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 12, 2015,
sorry guys .. now I have listened to the song..and yes ignore..i did analyze your progression..which to me sounds much better than the song..and yes I did not find an Abmi ..

magmarine your take may be correct..i cannot decipher the subtle chord forms-a bit too muddy for me..but I agree about the common tone Eb note
play well

wolf
I dont know man,i still cant seem to hear it that way.
Play it like this and let me know what you think:
1 chord per bar.
x x x x
4 4 4 4
4 4 4 3
6 6 6 5
7 7 6 4
x x x x
^ Doesn't sound like the progression (the last two chords sound off).

Now that I listened closer to it, the Gb6 is actually not a Gb6. The bass plays an Ab over it. It's an Ab7sus4 (though it is pretty close to Gb6). And the chord progression actually has 8 bars. The first time it's Fbmaj7x2-Ab7sus4-Eb and the second time Fbmaj7-Dbm9 (the synth plays the same voicing but the bass changes) -Ab7sus4-Ebadd9.

Here's a MIDI file that I did. It doesn't sound as good because of the crappy sounds of course. But I tried to make it as close as possible with bass an drums and everything.
Attachments:
gatorade.mid
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Wow, This sounds nearly dead on, im sure with the right sounds this is it.
Im thankful that you took the time to transcribe it into midi.
I wish i wouldve been able to hear that there was no b7th in the eb and no b3 in the Ab.
Instead i was pretty sure the b7th of Eb was even the lowest note of the voicing, same couldve gone for the b3 of Ab.
I hope my ear will improve with time.
thank you very much.
Last edited by Ignore at Jan 12, 2015,
MMarine..impressed..i wish I had more toys .. my puter does not process midi files--and only has 2 small speakers with no eq of any kind..thus the muddy sound of original track..hope to upgrade all this year...
play well

wolf