Hello all!
I am 56 and I am just starting out. I haven't played music in about 40 years. I was a trumpet player in my Jr Hi School band.
I am on my 3rd bass and I have only been playing for about 4 months.
My first bass was a Dean acoustic bass. I found out quickly that it was a very poor instrument to learn on, for me anyway. I traded it in for a Yamaha RBX170. I learned quite a bit on this bass, but I found out about short scale basses. I thought this might be more comfortable for me to learn on. I have ham hocks for hands. My fingers are short and fat. (size 15 ring). So the Yamaha has been traded for a Fender Jaguar Short Scale. I have yet to receive it yet. It should be here in a few days. I hope this one works out for me. I tried out some of the other short scale basses at the guitar store and they felt better than the Yamaha. I chose the Fender because of reviews I read and felt I was getting the most bang for my buck.
Besides having ham hocks for hands I have other hand issues. I have some nerve problems and I lost the tip of my right index finger in an accident about 15 years ago. I have been playing with a pick.
I have been "gigging" with a friend and have learned 5 songs that we play pretty well.
Sorry 'bout being long winded and thanks for having me!
Welcome! good luck with learning the bass, the short scale should be helpful.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day