Hey guys.

I'm looking for my first guitar. I'll play heavy metal and i'll just play in my room. I saw these guitars, are they good? Which one is better?

Dean Guitars Vendetta XM CBK: http://www.thomann.de/pt/dean_guitars_vendetta_xm_tbk.htm
Jackson JS11 Dinky BLK: http://www.thomann.de/pt/jackson_js11_dinky_blk.htm
Cort X1 BKS: http://www.thomann.de/pt/cort_x1_bk.htm
ESP LTD EC-10 BLK: http://www.thomann.de/pt/esp_ltd_ec10_blk.htm
Cort X-6 BK: http://www.thomann.de/pt/cort_x_6_bk.htm
Ibanez GRG170DX-BKN: http://www.thomann.de/pt/ibanez_grg170dx_bkn_egitarre.htm

For my first Amp, which one is better?

Roland Cube-20GX: http://www.thomann.de/pt/roland_cube_20gx.htm
Line6 Spider IV 30: http://www.thomann.de/pt/line6_spider_iv_30.htm
Vox VT20+: http://www.thomann.de/pt/vox_vt20.htm
Hey and welcome!
For a practice amp, I'd go for a Spider, you can dial in some pretty great tones on Line 6 amps for the price.
As for guitar, I'd strongly advice AGAINST going for any low-end Jackson, Ibanez or LTD. These guitars are usually not very good. Have a look at Vintage instead. I have a VRS100 for practice, it's dirt cheap and quite good not the best clean tones, but it does any Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath very well
Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton II
ESP LTD MH-1000FR
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Randall RH150G3 (and 412 cab)
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500
Quote by Darth Crow
Hey and welcome!
For a practice amp, I'd go for a Spider, you can dial in some pretty great tones on Line 6 amps for the price.

No, Just no.

Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, or bust. Line 6 spider = junk.
As for guitar, I'd strongly advice AGAINST going for any low-end Jackson, Ibanez or LTD. These guitars are usually not very good. Have a look at Vintage instead. I have a VRS100 for practice, it's dirt cheap and quite good not the best clean tones, but it does any Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath very well

Low end Jacksons, Ibanez or LTD's are not that great but you could do worse, like Epiphone or Dean for example. Vintage are only a brand worth looking into if you're from the UK, which TS hasn't specified. If TS lives in the US, look at Agile guitars from Rondomusic. Those guitars will decimate anything else you can buy in that price range.

what are your preferences, TS? What exactly are you looking for in a guitar? And please be as specific as you possibly can.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 11, 2015,
Well, I don't like Vypyrs... actually I don't like any of the lower-end Peaveys. But really, as practice goes, I don't see anything wrong with a Spider, or a Fender Mustang. Modeling amps are good for practicing.

And the TS posted links to Thomann, which I took for a sign that he is from Europe, and you can get Vintage guitars pretty much anywhere in Europe, AFAIK... but I'm with you on those Deans and low-end Epiphones. Not to mention Corts...
Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton II
ESP LTD MH-1000FR
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Randall RH150G3 (and 412 cab)
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500
Having certain preferences are fine, I just hate Spiders.

The Fender Mustang is a decent amp for blues and cleans, but the high-gain tones are very meh. The Vox Valvetronix amps are okay, but I still think the Roland Cubes and Peavey Vypyrs are better for high gain stuff. The cool thing with Vypyrs is that the preamps use analogue processors rather than digital as is the case with all the other amps to at least some degree. It means that the fidelity of the models are better, and nuances in tone from guitar to guitar are represented better, more like a tube amp.

I disagree regarding Corts though. I think they're pretty solid for what they are.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 11, 2015,
I had a Dean Vandetta that I bought on an impulse buy for a spare. It is made of basswood. I move along when I see basswood, even though I know it can be done right, but the bad taste in my mouth has never gone away. It is the most hollow sounding guitar I've ever heard.

The only time I was happy with is is when I threw it away after a couple of weeks, knowing that I saved someone else from buying it.

I think of what you listed Ibanez is your best bet.

For the amp, I'd suggest that you get a comfortable guitar, then take it to local shops and find something in your price range and get what you like the best.
Last edited by Dysnomia at Jan 11, 2015,
Quote by LuísThrash
I'm from Portugal.
What about the Jackson JS32T Kelly??? That guitar looks so awesome :O

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-JS32T-Kelly-Satin-Black/dp/B00EGHMVD2

Since this is your first guitar, do NOT buy something online. You need to get in to the shops and find something comfortable. You don't yet know what you do and do not like, so something that looks cool could be the worst fit for you. You said you are going to practice at home, chances are that before anyone sees you, you will have upgraded to something better than your beginner equipment anyway.

Chat with the store employees. Let them know what does and doesn't feel right. They can help you understand why you have these feelings and can hyelp direct you the right way. Only you can choose the right one, but you have to feel it first. If you don't, the chances that you will quit are much higher if you get something that doesn't fit you.
Most low end guitars have similar specs. Many are probably even made at the same factories. Jacksons are attractive guitars and the JS series is better now than in the past. Go with one that you like, really. Since you like metal and different shapes of guitars, entry level BC Rich are also worth a look.

In terms of the amp, most amps do amazing things and most people would be hard-pressed not to get the sound they want out of it, if they tinker with it long enough. Out of the 3 that you mention I would go with the Vox. Line 6 as you've noticed has many detractors here. But they're popular with metal players and use a Celestion speaker. As others have mentioned, you may also want to look at the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2, Fender Mustang II, Marshall MG30CFX. I get the impression that the Vypyr has the most features, followed by the Vox and then the Mustang, that's if you want to get the most amp for your buck.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jan 11, 2015,
Is Jackson JS32T King V a good guitar?

About the amp, i think i'll buy a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2. I found a store here in Portugal (it's called Musifex) and they have the Jackson JS32T King V and the Ibanez GRG170DX so i can test them and then i can buy on Amazon because it's cheaper. Just to show you:

Ibanez GRG170DX: http://www.musifex.pt/ibanez-grg170dx-bkn
http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Style-Black-Night/dp/B001EM180O

Jackson JS32T King V: http://www.musifex.pt/jackson-js32-king-v-bl
http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-JS32T-King-Gloss-Black/dp/B0072QOCOK
It's a good beginners guitar. Have fun trying it out with the Vypyr.

Here's a video review/demo of the guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaKOeYpNtCo

Have you checked shipping charges to Portugal for Amazon US? And are there any import taxes in your country for instruments? Make sure you're clear about all that before ordering online.
id buy an audio interface and download amplitube 3 for the amp. you can get a presonus audiobox usab for like 100 bucks new. as for the guitar, something used. probably best used ibanez u can get yopur hands on since this guitar youll only be playing for a couple of months before you upgrade im sure.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Damn, i forgot the import taxes .-.

Thomann is in Europe so is cheaper. Unfortunately thomann doesn't have Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 so i'll probably buy Vox VT20+. I saw reviews and it looks good. I also have a friend that has one and he says is a good amp.
In that video the guitar sounds great but we can't forget that Rob's amp is not very cheaper. I have to test her, the bad thing is that i don't know how to play (i just have an acoustic guitar) and i'll have to play in front of people ahah xD
^ gear4music in the UK has a good price on the VIP2 currently, assuming they ship to portugal (I haven't tried it, so that's not a recommendation). You'd need a UK->EU plug adaptor though I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ gear4music in the UK has a good price on the VIP2 currently, assuming they ship to portugal (I haven't tried it, so that's not a recommendation). You'd need a UK->EU plug adaptor though I think.

Thanks dude!!! I don't like very much that idea of having a adaptor but oh well xD
depending on how the plug connects you might just need an EU kettle lead. Not sure, different amps use different methods to connect the power cord.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first guitar was a cheap Ibanez RG with a fixed bridge.

I think the only thing that you will really notice for a starting player on a cheaper instrument will be the ability to stay in tune. Other than that, it's 2015, most of the big companies have guitar construction methods down pretty well. A lot of these guitars are built on precise machines, the quality issues come in terms of the fret jobs, factory setup, plating on chrome parts (or lack thereof) electronics, and not always the actual construction (bent necks or something extreme like that). While it is more likely that the people building them don't have the knowledge or care to throw out junk necks or electronics, there are a lot of cheaper guitars that aren't bad at all. The above things are important on an instrument, but I didn't really notice the quality issues on my cheap RG until I had some more experience.

Everyone said to go play them at the store to find what is comfortable....as a beginner, they all felt pretty much the same; I didn't notice the radius of the fretboard, scale length, neck shape, etc. Those are things that you will figure out eventually and decide what you like. An old Fender 7.25 radius vs a flat Ibanez radius didn't matter to me because I didn't even know about those things.
^ Yeah I'm always a bit mystified by the suggestion of "go try them at a store" if the threadstarter is a genuine beginner (i.e. doesn't even play guitar at all yet).

How does that work?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
spider amps are awesome plus you can run it clean and still have the ability to run a pedal board or a multi effects
Quote by thefeelgoodrag
spider amps are awesome plus you can run it clean and still have the ability to run a pedal board or a multi effects

Awesome isn't the word I'd use for them...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
What is the problem that people have with Line 6 amps anyway? Line 6 seems to be doing something right that their products are popular, or not?
most people here are brand loyal there like the guys that swear by tube amps if it isnt tube they dont want to hear about it samething with line 6 spider products there are people who think the amps are junk because they have an amp that costs 500 bucks and gives them the sound they want out of the box. after owning 2 line 6 amps and 3 peaveys i dont see an issue with line 6 spider or any other line 6 products the spider 212 i have right now is awesome ive spent some time dialing it in but for what i paid it was a steal!
Quote by thefeelgoodrag
samething with line 6 spider products there are people who think the amps are junk because they have an amp that costs 500 bucks and gives them the sound they want out of the box.

But... They don't.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by thefeelgoodrag
most people here are brand loyal there like the guys that swear by tube amps if it isnt tube they dont want to hear about it samething with line 6 spider products there are people who think the amps are junk because they have an amp that costs 500 bucks and gives them the sound they want out of the box. after owning 2 line 6 amps and 3 peaveys i dont see an issue with line 6 spider or any other line 6 products the spider 212 i have right now is awesome ive spent some time dialing it in but for what i paid it was a steal!

Burning through 5 amps isn't necessarily a testament to reliability or satisfaction in terms of sound quality....but I will say that a modeling amp can provide you with a wide variety whereas a single expensive amp gives you just several choices, although they may all sound excellent to you.
Quote by LuísThrash
Damn, i forgot the import taxes .-.

Thomann is in Europe so is cheaper. Unfortunately thomann doesn't have Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 so i'll probably buy Vox VT20+. I saw reviews and it looks good. I also have a friend that has one and he says is a good amp.
In that video the guitar sounds great but we can't forget that Rob's amp is not very cheaper. I have to test her, the bad thing is that i don't know how to play (i just have an acoustic guitar) and i'll have to play in front of people ahah xD

I think the idea to get the Vox VT20Plus is a great idea, far surpassing the Line six idea, or even the Peavey idea.

The only thing I think you could do better is to get a Vox Valvetronix VT40Plus. The VT40Plus is just more of an amp and will be just that much more awesome.

Don't worry about playing them in front of customers or salesmen in stores. You "are" a beginner. Every one has to begin somewhere. You will still be able to get a good idea of what you are getting, but if you just buy a "brand new in the box" Vox VTxxPlus and bring it home, I think you will be mighty happy.

A note on salesmen - don't let them tell you what to buy, or even strongly push you in any direction. Often they get extra money for selling certain brands, so they push them. Buy that Vox and be done with it.

As far a guitars, a Squier is a decent guitar. The Squier Classic Vibe series Stratocasters or telecasters are great, even professional musicians use them. You should be able to find a Classic Vibe in your price range. I would not go any lower than a Squier "Standard" guitar. This means I would avoid the "Affinities", "Bullets", and anything cheap. The Squier "Vintage Modified" are often good guitars, especially the strats.

Stay away from any odd ball type guitar styles or non-major brand names. Stay away from the cheaper, bottom of the line models. Try to stick with a well known brand name and a proven guitar style, like a Stratocaster or telecaster style. If you buy an Epiphone Les Paul, do not get a Les Paul 100 or a Les Paul II; do not get any Epiphone Les Paul below the Les Paul Studio version. This is at the high end of what you are desiring to pay. Spend as much as you can afford that is within your planned amount to spend; but "make sure" to work your best deal.

All these guitar stores and salesmen have room to lower the price to you. You have the "winning hand" because you can walk out of the store if they don't want to negotiate to a lower price. They don't get your money. They want your money, therefore you should require them to come down off of the regular sale price if they want you to buy one from them. There are always other guitar stores and salesmen that are willing to come down in price for you. Don't be afraid to walk away from a salesman - they are not really your "friends", they are there to make money and if they see you as a "beginner" they may want to take advantage of you and charge you more than the fair price, much less come down in price for you. Definitely look on the internet and see what the places like Thomann are selling these guitars for and don't pay a Euro more. Try to pay less.

Be aware that used guitars and especially amps can be a risk to buy. Many times they have things wrong with them. New stuff has a new item warranty and return policy.

Plan on getting decent stuff and staying with guitar as a hobby. Therefore get the best stuff you can afford that is in your price range. Used amps can have all sorts of different electronic problems that are "expensive" to get fixed, if they can be fixed at all.

I dig your Vox amp idea. Stick with it and go buy one, be done with it.

Have the salesman or a friend demonstrate to you that the guitar you pick out does not have any "fret buzz", or other problems. The guitar can be checked out in a matter of a minute or two. An amp can have hidden problems that may not be apparent for months. I advise buying a new, "in the box" amp - not a floor demonstration model, especially with the highly sophisticated Vox. You can do a "system reset" on the Vox Valvetronix amps if you have to buy an out of the box model. This will set it back to factory original settings and eliminate any fooling around customers or salesmen may have done to the settings while "playing" with the demonstration amp.

Good luck and I advise that you move forward and get these purchases made, making each purchase wisely.

Remember, those Squiers are real decent guitars as long as you don't buy a cheap one. Sometimes used Fender's can be found in your price range, but they are often "beat up". I advise getting half way decent "new" stuff and "making it yours". You'll be glad you did.

Get it done and have all this stress behind you.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Last edited by DuffB at Jan 24, 2015,