I don't need clean headroom.
I love the amp and it's voice completely for what I want to play, but I've seen thousands of posts saying it can or can't gig at rock volumes. Here are my options with 130 bucks in my pocket

1. Buy an extension cab for it, which will increase the volume +3db, forcing me to buy an 8ohm speaker for the combo (as it comes stock with a 16ohm speaker.

2. Sell the combo, add it to my 130 bucks and shop around for another combo (which?)

3. Gig with it almost always maxed and hope I sound OK on stage.

I don't need a gain monster as I love that even at maxed gain on this amp I can still hear every string voicing. I'm 30 years old and sold all my high gain heads (and back breaking 4x12's) many years ago before the kids.

Any thoughts on this? What would you do?

Back of the combo I own:
Last edited by [Parry] at Jan 11, 2015,
As long as you're mic'd up through the house PA, and don't want sparkly cleans, you should be solid.

I own the JCA50H and absolutely love it. I get compliments on my tone at almost every show. The 112 would help. Look for something with a V30 or eminence legend. They work great with this amp. WGS makes a knockoff of the V30 called the veteran 30, if you're looking to save some cash.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I've got the 20w head, and it's fine for gigging in bars etc

You shouldn't have any problems using it, and if you play a larger venue it can't handle, they should have a house PA that you'll be mic'd up to anyway.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I think a more sensitive speaker will work better as well, the stock is 100RMS Eminence. Thought about slapping a greenback into it and making the other cabinet myself and putting a greenback in that.
If it just doesn't work out, I can use them both as cabinets for a head I'll buy in the future. Now to get in under budget for all this haha. JCA 50 would have been nice, but I gotta work with what I have.
greenback won't increase the volume. a vintage 30 in there should.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
got it, thanks. I'll look at sensitivity in my price range. Should help the 20 watts stretch.
just bear in mind if you're looking at eminences that their sensitivities are a bit optimistic. i.e. don't run and buy a 102dB eminence because it's likely no louder than a 100dB Vintage 30.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you not worried about cleans, like you said earlier, I wouldn't worry at all about the 20 watts not cutting it at a bar. A 20 watt amp is just as loud as a 100 watt amp, its just that the 100 watter would have wayyy more headroom than the 20 watter.

As long as you've got a PA system (which you should at pretty much any gig, especially bars) you're golden.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
[quote="'[Parry"]']
1. Buy an extension cab for it, which will increase the volume +3db, forcing me to buy an 8ohm speaker for the combo (as it comes stock with a 16ohm speaker.

Nope, run another cab with a 16 ohm speaker and plug the combo's speaker into one of the 8 ohm jacks and the cab into the other, this will give the amp the 8 ohm load it's looking for.
^Good eye.

I shoulda picked up on that
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
^Good eye.

I shoulda picked up on that

Edit: wait, wouldn't that be putting out 8ohms from each output? So 8ohms going to the stock speaker, and 8ohms out to the cab?

Scratch that. Just check the manual, and Parry is correct. Sorry, brain fart
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jan 11, 2015,
If you run a extension cab you need a 16 ohm speaker in it to match the 16ohm in the combo.
When you have 2x 16ohms in parallel you get an 8ohm load total so you move the jack over to one of the 8ohm jacks and plug the other 16ohm cab into the other 8ohm jack

As long as your drummer isn't super heavy handed you should be fine. You may want to invest a few bucks in an amp stand if you don't get another cab so it puts it closer to your ears
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you run a extension cab you need a 16 ohm speaker in it to match the 16ohm in the combo.
When you have 2x 16ohms in parallel you get an 8ohm load total so you move the jack over to one of the 8ohm jacks and plug the other 16ohm cab into the other 8ohm jack

As long as your drummer isn't super heavy handed you should be fine. You may want to invest a few bucks in an amp stand if you don't get another cab so it puts it closer to your ears

I didn't know how they were run, as it is a little confusing to see "8ohm" over 2 inputs. I assumed it was 2 8ohm speakers. Good to know though, that makes my budget go a little farther. Now to find an extension cabinet for 120 that doesn't blow ass. Or make my own.

This is why I placed the picture in the first post... the labelling confused me.
The Eminence V12 works really well with Jet City amps (it is the stock speaker in most Soldano cabs)8 and they run $75 from MF or any other site, some ebay listings are a bit cheaper. You can find used Jet City 1x12 cabs for $100ish, or you can find a used Krank 1x12 for $99 if you don't mind it not matching cosmetically (they are 16ohm)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
[quote="'[Parry"]']I didn't know how they were run, as it is a little confusing to see "8ohm" over 2 inputs. I assumed it was 2 8ohm speakers. Good to know though, that makes my budget go a little farther. Now to find an extension cabinet for 120 that doesn't blow ass. Or make my own.

This is why I placed the picture in the first post... the labelling confused me.
They do that so you can run the combo speaker and another at the same time, otherwise you would have to disconnect the combo speaker to run a cab.
The only problem will be bigger venues that can't mic up your amp for whatever reason. They are few and far between though, so I wouldn't worry. The 20watts should be enough to gig with in most places.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
20W will be enough, especially if you mic it. I run the 22H and it's loud especially through a 1X12.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Reminds me, I shoulda done my NAD. But yeah, the 22H through a 2x12 was way loud on stage, couldn't turn any of the master volumes above 2.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
you can gig with 20 watts. just fine. depends on the music, but it will do great. even un-miced, but you may lose a lot of sparkly super cleans. it may be broken up, but a little breakup is fine. roll the guitar volume back a little, breakup SOUNDS GOOD to human ears!!!!

dude, my amp scales down to 7 watts and ive never been like "ahh where did my cleans go". more like "hey, i get a little hair on this when i hit the strings hard....cool". at 20 watts its a littel less hair, a big bigger tone, and at 50 watts its 100% clean and its like "oh hey...thats what BASS sounds like, my amp is punching me in the back."
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)