Just moved in to my first flat recently, it's a little tight for space and so there's nowhere for my half stack to go. Looking for a piece of gear I can pick up relatively cheap that I can simply use with headphones.

I've looked in to the Amplugs, they don't seem too shabby for the price but it occurred to me that the tonal options are limited and I was reminded of the RP80 I had years back when I was starting out. That had a headphone output that I never used, so I haven't got anything to base an opinion of its practice tones on. What do those of you who have experience in headphone amps have to suggest?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Thanks, will check it out. Just noticed that this is totally the wrong forum for this, my bad. Shows how often I post here anymore.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I've used a basic Digitech RP, can't recall the number, a Pandora Px4 and a Vox Amplug. For tone the runaway favourite for both headphones and recording was the Px4, but it packed up after a few months and I'm reluctant to buy another becuase the construction was very flimsy.

What really did it for me though, for recording and headphones, was the Sansamp Character British pedal. It IMO has excellent Marshall tones, and plenty of output to drive headphones. If you use standard 'phones with a 1/4" phono jack you will only get sound in one ear, but mono-to-stereo adaptors are easy enough to make or buy. It also makes a very good OD/distortion stomp box in front of an amp, with a wide range of tones. The Marshal sound might not be your thing, but there are other emulations in the series.
I used an RP55 for a while and it was awful. The thing has a tendency to boost the hell out of the low-end in the same way shitty headphones like Beats do, which made my bridge pickup unusable. The amplugs are just generic Chinese goods with Vox trade dress. You can find about a hundred different versions for two or three times less money on Amazon.

I’d recommend just getting a cheap USB interface to use with your computer. A Rocksmith cable is all you need to just practice with headphones. If you have a PC there are some simple driver setup tricks to make it work with all the cheap/free amp sims. On Mac Garageband is only $5 and works with the Rocksmith cable with no configuration hassle.
Thanks for your feedback, but I don't have my own computer at the moment. Since I moved out I'm relying on my phone and tablet solely to use the Internet.
Will look in to the suggestions, any input on what the Zoom G2 is like as far as headphones go?

Edit: As a side note, when I say cheap I mean <£35. Bills are expensive. Second hand is fine.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Last edited by Vauxite at Jan 11, 2015,
Quote by Vauxite
Thanks for your feedback, but I don't have my own computer at the moment. Since I moved out I'm relying on my phone and tablet solely to use the Internet.
Will look in to the suggestions, any input on what the Zoom G2 is like as far as headphones go?

Edit: As a side note, when I say cheap I mean <£35. Bills are expensive. Second hand is fine.

The G2 is an older unit, and not very good.

Get the G1on. It's Zoom's more recent version which is significantly upgraded from their older models. It can be had new for £40.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just last week I bought a Digitech RP255 on a "Studid Deal" at Musicians Friend for $89.99 with free shipping. I have been playing with it this week end and creating patches. It has a ton of very nice effects and is easy to program. The Lexicon reverbs and delays are very good, the amp modals are OK, the Wah's are decent and it includes the Digitech Whammy setting and another neat effect for the pedal called "Ya Ya" that does a pretyy nice Talk Box effect (Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton etc.) Definately worth $89.99. You'd pretty much pay that much for any one of the effects. The only draw back from my point of view is that it would not be good for live gigs. Not because of any of the sounds (they are very good) but because for some reason Digitech only built the pedal with up and down footswitches (and the expression pedal). If you are playing live let's say on the first patch and want to go to the another patch you created for a lead, you have to scroll all the way through (up or down) to another patch. There are no banks like on other pedals to allow quick access to a row of patches. This makes this a very nice sounding unit for home and studio use but forget using it live (unless I am missing out something). Also this unit has a USB in/out and comes with Cuebase LE if needed.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 12, 2015,
Rickholly you can get around that by over writing your patches side by side and then its one click down or one click up. I agree though, as good as some of the sounds are on the 255, theyre nothing compared to a board... If you intend to use the USB interface on the RP255 then you will need to download and install ASIO4ALL V2 drivers and select the USB interface as your audio in/out.
Thanks for all your replies guys, definitely given me some food for thought. Definitely won't be using whatever I buy live, I just go straight in to my amp (Bugera 333XL).

As for this, I have £40 to spend.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Dazz thanks for the advice. The way you described storing the patches is what I am doing. I thought maybe I was missing something in the manual but you have confirmed my thinking that this is just how it was designed. I do like to pedal and the sounds. I don't use a lot of patches live and my amp is a modeling amp with it's own built in effects but I figure this pedal takes up about as much room as my Ibanez Wah pedal and the Wah's are decent and since this pedal has true bypass I can still use my amp settings and and anything from this pedal. Thanks again.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 13, 2015,