I hope this is in the right forum section: I'm going to sell/trade some of my bigger music gear on Craigslist and possibly eBay but I'm not sure if I'm better off restoring them before putting them up for sale. They're both in decent to ehh condition and could definitely use some love.

-Marshall DSL401 tube combo amp/roadcase
Bought for $600. It does have a a defect that I would inform possible buyers about, a tiny chip of plastic that bounces around the speaker when played, but my bigger concern is the tubes. I've played this amp at jams and have had it for a couple years but have never had the tubes changed. When trying to sell it, buyers offer me around $300 because I haven't changed the tubes.

-Tama Rockstar 4-piece/UMI snare/some hardware
Bought for $400 when trying to take up drums. I've had these for a couple years and have played them a decent amount but never got too into drumming and now they're just taking up my closet. I've never changed the heads or done any other real drum maintenance that I haven't bothered looking into. The 4-piece all seems alright but the snare drum's snare is hanging, has a hole in the bottom head, and has a missing nut somewhere inside.

I've tried selling the Marshall and have gotten offers but I've had no real idea what the drum kit would really go for as is. Any advice? Please let me know if this thread would be better somewhere else. Thanks.
Last edited by OnlyTwin at Jan 11, 2015,
put 4 new EL84's in it (they are cheap), take the speaker off the baffle and remove the plastic piece. You can get $500 for it then and it will take <30min to do all of that.

Put a new snare and bottom head on the snare and you'll get more money, but $400 is probably not gonna happen even with it fixed $200 is more realistic since you have no cymbals or hardware
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fix the speaker thing. It will take 10 minutes with a screwdriver and add a lot of value. Are the tubes toast? A good set of tubes might last 10 more years so I don't understand the resistance unless they are using that to just grind your price. If the amp sounds good with no issues it should sell for a fair price. Amps with troubles sell for less than 1/2.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Robbgnarly
put 4 new EL84's in it (they are cheap), take the speaker off the baffle and remove the plastic piece. You can get $500 for it then and it will take <30min to do all of that.

Put a new snare and bottom head on the snare and you'll get more money, but $400 is probably not gonna happen even with it fixed $200 is more realistic since you have no cymbals or hardware

As far as hardware, I have the snare stand, bench and it's stand, the piece(?) that holds the high and mid toms on the bass drum, bass and double bass pedals, a hi hat stand, and one cymbal stand.
as long as they are functional. I mean with used people expect to pay 50% so give them a reason. A bit of TLC and you may be able to get 60-75% depending. One MIM fender I really went out of my way on, 2 band EQ and a 7 way mod for david gilmour sounds. CTS pots, copper shielding, re-wired it from scratch. The only thing original in the electronics was the single coils.

flipping guitars though I got really good at it. If you are comfortable soldering you can make it into a part time business. Just like getting gold off PCB (printed circuit boards) it's not something to get rich off of but you get to try a lot of great guitars for free in a sense.

Take good photos and show or mention any imperfections. Be totally up front so there is no surprises and take it from there. Communication is everything I always tell people.