Hello everybody.

I'm looking at buying a used Stratocaster from reputable local shop. It is a 62' reissue with a different neck. After looking at it I noticed the decal looks like a sticker. How does Fender usually apply their logo? Is it a sticker, is it etched in? I have no experience with Fender product, but the way this guitar is set up and the way it plays had blown my mind so I want to get it. Just wasn't sure if the neck was authentic. Should I be worried about the neck being fake?
If it's a decent price, and the guitar plays and sounds good, I wouldn't worry about it. A nice guitar is a nice guitar. What model of '62 reissue is it? How old? US Made or Mexican? And when you say "with a different neck", are you meaning that the neck has been replaced, and isn't the original one from the factory?
By different neck I'm saying it isn't factory. It has a maple board instead of a rosewood board (which from my research, I found '62 ri's have rosewood boards). The headstock has the fender logo and the original custom body at the top of the headstock. I know that if it plays and feels right then it shouldn't matter, but I am really more curious than anything. That was more of a background as to why I am asking. Also, how would I be able to tell if it's mim or US made if it doesn't say on the neck? I know that Fender usually has the country it was made on there and I know that the date of the neck is on the bottom where it would lay in the heel of the guitar. Also how would I tell what model '62 it would be? Like I said my knowledge of Fender isn't as deep as it could be. Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it.
Last edited by Zoso.Andy at Jan 12, 2015,
They are simple waterslide decals with clear coats over. It's common to see a slight rise in the surface around it, but it should definitely not be a sticker on the surface.

If it has a replacement neck, it isn't original, is it? It's basically a partscaster and should be sold as such.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
you'd have to take the guitar apart to see what's really going on. without the original neck the guitar really is just a partscaster (especially since it's the wrong neck for a 62). I wouldn't pay any real money for the guitar as it is very suspect. with fender the neck is the way it's dated they are all stamped on the heel. the body may also have a stamp in the neck pocket.
Quote by monwobobbo
you'd have to take the guitar apart to see what's really going on. without the original neck the guitar really is just a partscaster (especially since it's the wrong neck for a 62). I wouldn't pay any real money for the guitar as it is very suspect. with fender the neck is the way it's dated they are all stamped on the heel. the body may also have a stamp in the neck pocket.

That's always bugged me about Fender (and most other brands, for that matter). I feel like they should print serial numbers in at least two spots on every guitar. Neck and body. Some brands do that, but they put the body serial number somewhere where you have to take it apart to find it. I wish they'd just put the serial number on the back of the headstock, and then also on the body, somewhere easy to find. Like, if not in plain view, then just inside the back panel or something. So you only have to pop off a piece of plastic to find it, rather than having to remove the neck.