i am thinking about buying a new electric guitar but i am unsure in what to do...

i have wanted a TV yellow gibson les paul junior since i first seen them but i just can't justify the price to myself! at the moment i play an epiphone les paul that i love and have loved since i got it!

I have also looked at getting a few guitars at the one time (a strat, tele, and a 335 dot) made by the cheaper branded company (squire and epiphone)

i guess the question is should i go with my gut feeling and empty my wallet to buy the gibson LP.... or should i go with the cheaper guitars and grow my collection by three?
Buy what you need as you need it. **** collecting, that follows.
Don't go Squier, go G&L.
Don't go Epiphone, go Tokai. Or do what I did when wanting a Les Paul - bought a Yamaha SG.
Just look around. Heaps of good shit out there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks man! my mate has been helping me and he has advised me to buy the gibbo! he has one similar and is a HUGE gibson collector and is going to let me play one of his LPJ's to see what they are like to play before i drop almost £900 on one. thanks for the help
If you can get one and can afford - and want it, grab it. Better to have two great guitars than six also rans.
But seriously, if it's no good, take a look at the Tokais. If the Yammy hadn't been hanging above it for the same price (used) I'd own a Love Rock. They're pretty sweet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah if Gibson is out of your price range check Tokai if they are available in your area. Their made in japan models are almost 1:1 copies of Gibson and with great quality control and for much less. Even the chinese ones rival any epiphone, except for unorthodox choice of woods (alder les pauls instead of mahogany, why the hell?)

Burny guitars should also be available in UK and same applies here as with Tokai, except even MIC models have traditional woods.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
yeah tokais are great. just make sure it's a japanese-made one (it normally says on the back of the headstock and the truss rod cover should use two screws).

the yen has been weakening this past while so it might be wiser to hold off for a little while in case prices fall in line with that. the MIJ prices have been not so good this last while.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lots of good brands out there.

If Gibson is the one that gets your pulse racing and you can afford it, get one. You probably won't be satisfied, otherwise.

But if you just want a good LP-style guitar, the world is full of them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if you like your Epi LP then get a strat type or Tele type guitar to expand your tonal arsenal instead of having two guitars that sound similar
+1 to that as well. Having another arrow in your quiver gives you options...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

DBZ guitars come to mind, I played one the other day, great value. That's the founder of Dean, no?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Buy a new guitar? It really depends why you want to buy it.

If you really truly want a Gibson, nothing less will satisfy that. But you have to know exactly why you're shelling out that kind of money. If you can't articulate a clear answer, hold off till you can.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
DBZ guitars come to mind, I played one the other day, great value. That's the founder of Dean, no?

DBZ was the second guitar company he founded. He has since left, and is now running Dean Zelinsky Private Label.

I like DBZs- I want a Royale or Imperial, myself.

Quote by thetermineater
thanks man! my mate has been helping me and he has advised me to buy the gibbo! he has one similar and is a HUGE gibson collector and is going to let me play one of his LPJ's to see what they are like to play before i drop almost £900 on one. thanks for the help

If you're going to look at Gibsons, look at the ones in the $3000+ range to get an idea what Gibson is really about. I'm really not a fan of LPJ and I don't think they're worth anything like the $500 they charge for them here in the US. I'm actually a Gibson fan and have a stack, but IMHO, the quality of offshore under-$1000 guitars is leagues better than that of the LPJ or the rest of Gibson's older under-$1000 offerings.

The same goes for the Juniors (which is NOT a "J" by the way); this was originally built and intended as a cheap student guitar by Gibson back in the '50's. Objectively, you can actually find better LP Juniors or Specials from other builders.
Just so we're 100% clear, the OP is talking about the LP with the single bridge-mounted P90, right?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Just so we're 100% clear, the OP is talking about the LP with the single bridge-mounted P90, right?

Dunno, but his mate is going to let him play an LPJ, which is NOT the single bridge-mounted P90 guitar.OTOH, the OP is talking buying an LP Junior, which IS the single bridge-mounted P90 guitar.
The Reverend Sensei jr is out of production, but offered the single P90 style on a SG-like body...with a yellow color, FWIW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzXc3_v53s&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAFA-z4688o&sns=em

Used Reverend Sensei 290s- which adds the neck P90 to the mix- can be found under $500 on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281555697464?item=281555697464&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

Reverend also have other quality P90 axes in their line.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Another guitar worth a look is the Godin Core P90:
www.godinguitars.com/godincorep90p.htm

Also, the Hagstrom Swede SE and Super Swede Tremar are nice axes as well:

http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=77&category_id=8&Itemid=5

http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=81&category_id=24&Itemid=22

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2015,
LP Jr with a single dogear P90 is one of my all time fav guitars. Leslie West sure could make them wail.
Quote by thetermineater
i am thinking about buying a new electric guitar but i am unsure in what to do...

i have wanted a TV yellow gibson les paul junior since i first seen them but i just can't justify the price to myself! at the moment i play an epiphone les paul that i love and have loved since i got it!

I have also looked at getting a few guitars at the one time (a strat, tele, and a 335 dot) made by the cheaper branded company (squire and epiphone)

i guess the question is should i go with my gut feeling and empty my wallet to buy the gibson LP.... or should i go with the cheaper guitars and grow my collection by three?

I have a hard time swallowing the Gibson prices too...cheaper can be great. I really wanted a Les Paul Standard/Deluxe but 3 grand is outrageous. I played about 30 different Epi LPs (because despite being made on the same assembly line, many play better than others IMO), & bought a black/cream Jeff Beck-type Epi. I then paid another $200 to have my local badass guitar techs do a fret level/full setup on it, & I threw a Duncan JB pickup in the bridge. So for approx $650 I got a LP that absolutely screams, & plays better than any real Gibson LP I've ever played. IIRC, the Epis are significantly heavier than the new Gibsons too. They aren't all routed out.
That being said, if you really must have that Gibson, don't compromise. I understand that when you REALLY want a particular thing, you're never truly happy til you get it. I'm like that with amps. I just can't bring myself to spend over $600-$700 on a guitar
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Lots of good brands out there.

If Gibson is the one that gets your pulse racing and you can afford it, get one. You probably won't be satisfied, otherwise.

But if you just want a good LP-style guitar, the world is full of them.

+1

I think that's the sensible way to look at it- you need to know what you're like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
"Less is more? How can less be more! It's impossible!!"

- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

While I think YJM is a knobhead, when it comes to guitars I tend to agree with this quote.

Buy 'em, sell 'em, trade 'em, keep 'em or give 'em away, more is more!!

This sentiment is NOT echoed by my wife...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
thanks for all the answers guys! i have been to my mates and have played a multitude of guitars ranging from the cheapest strat to a £7000 gibson and i have fully got my heart set on a Gibson Les paul junior in TV yellow! ( http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gibson-2015-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar-TV-Yellow/13JH )
i will post an update here when i get it and have had a chance to play it letting you know my opinion on my decision!
Quote by thetermineater

i have wanted a TV yellow gibson les paul junior since i first seen them but i just can't justify the price to myself!

Just to remind you what you asked in the first place. Though this happens so many times, there's little point in posing the questions if you've already got it set in your head what you're going to do anyway.

I've got one of these on the way (should be here next Tuesday). Very lightly used, and in a different (more "caramel") color, though it also comes in a TV Yellow. Comes with a pair of $200 hand-wound MReiland P90 pickups (honestly, I have no idea what these will be like). I've played these before and the ones I've played have been stellar. Solid mahogany body and set neck, jumbo frets, 14" radius, real MOP block inlays, rosewood fretboard, excellent tuners, nut, bridge, tailpiece. $160, shipped.

It's a different style from what you're getting, presumably, but it mimics one of the original Gibson LP Special styles fairly closely. In fact, one of MY buddies has one of the original Gibson versions of this guitar (see the TV Yellow version below), and neither of us can find useful differences.

Last edited by dspellman at Jan 13, 2015,

so i had been originally looking at the double cutaway LP but i just can't take my eyes off of that one i have been looking at... i played it in my local music store and its the sound that i have been hearing in my head! I hooked it up to a marshall stack and it blew me away! i just love the mid range punch that it gives!
Sounds like love!