I figured out my amp situation. I plan to stick to using my pc for now with a usb. However I am debating what my first guitar should be. I am not a total noob but I havent picked one up in like 5 years. So I am almost a total noob.
I am thinking a Squire Strat. I am lost as to which one though. The bullet is appealing because of its cheap prize. The Affinity and the Standard though are tempting. The Standard has the ability for easier upgrades later and better quality overall but I am having a hard time justifying almost 2.5 times the cost of the bullet. My top budget is 250. What do you guys think?

On aesthetics, I prefer the body shape of the stratocasters and in red. I can make due with either the brighter red or the more deep blood red.
What sort of interface are you using with your PC? Do you have a program with different effects and whatnot? Going with a computer is a great idea for a beginner, you'll get tones better than any cheap practice amp.

Stay away from bullet strats, yes they are cheap, but they are a real beginner guitar. Yes I'm sure you're thinking "but I am a beginner, isn't a bullet suitable", but bullets are made cheap and often sold in starter packs to appease the beginner market (which manufacturers make a killing out of because they are seen by buyers as the perfect way of getting into guitar).

Fortunately, you have come to the UG forums, where we can assist you in starting your axe-wielding journey of glory. I'd recommend you consider the used market. Under $250 new isn't going to buy you a whole lot. If I were you, I would go to your local Guitar Center (assuming you're in the US like the majority of users on this site) or Craigslist and look at the Squier Classic Vibe series, used. This is a top-of-the-line Squier and considered by many to be equal to or better than a Mexican Fender Strat (another option for around $300-$350 used I believe).

Good luck!
To be honest. I really hate buying used. I buy almost nothing used and definitely not things which I will personally use. I grow attached to my things and I don't want them to have belonged to someone else before. Silly I know but I cant hep but want to start the journey together at the same time.
But you got me on the bullet being cheap. I am going to use the BEHRINGER GUITAR LINK UCG102. I am trying to use most of my money on my guitar. I figured I could just get a better amp later.
Quote by arielcastillo27
To be honest. I really hate buying used. I buy almost nothing used and definitely not things which I will personally use. I grow attached to my things and I don't want them to have belonged to someone else before. Silly I know but I cant hep but want to start the journey together at the same time.
But you got me on the bullet being cheap. I am going to use the BEHRINGER GUITAR LINK UCG102. I am trying to use most of my money on my guitar. I figured I could just get a better amp later.

If you don't want to buy used, you'll be paying more than $250 for anything decent.

I recently bought a second hand Fender American Standard Strat. I got it for $1000, which is pretty damn good in Australia, considering my local guitar store was selling two very similar Strats second hand for $1600. Sure it's got a couple marks and dings and the paint has faded a bit, but it sounds and plays absolutely amazing. Once you've played it for a while you won't care who had it before you.

Think of a guitar like a girl, sure she may have been with someone else, you know you're not her first, but find the right one and none of that matters. And just like a young high school couple dating for the first time (i.e. buying a cheaper guitar, but brand new) you'll look at other, more exquisite guitars as time goes on, and you'll likely want to move on because you've lost the love you once had.
You'll try to make it work and fix things (read: spending all your money on mods) but alas, it's just not the same.
Quote by nathan:-)
If I were you, I would go to your local Guitar Center (assuming you're in the US like the majority of users on this site) or Craigslist and look at the Squier Classic Vibe series, used. This is a top-of-the-line Squier and considered by many to be equal to or better than a Mexican Fender Strat (another option for around $300-$350 used I believe).

+1 on the used Squier Classic Vibe. If you save up a bit more, you could get a new Classic Vibe for ~$300 - $350. But seriously though, used is the way to go if you're on a small budget.
Quote by arielcastillo27

If you buy a guitar that is leaps and bounds better than a Squier Bullet (which you can do for $250, but only if you go used), then you're not going to care if its used. You'll just be happy that you've got a better guitar to play on. I know this from experience. Besides, if every ding being yours matters so much, then you can just ding over the dings that aren't yours to make them yours.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 12, 2015,
I would go with the best guitar I can get. I understand the aversion to used I will only buy used guitars I can play and put through the paces. You can get a Squier standard they are solid and you can mod them later to be a great guitar. Look at this one.
http://www.samash.com/squier-black-and-chrome-standard-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar-f1703506x
If you up your budget another 50 dollars you can get almost anything in the squier line.
How much should I spend of my first guitar?
However much a Yamaha Pacifica 112V costs where you are
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
In that case How should I go about buying used? The girlfriend analogy pretty much sold me. Im just nervous about used because I am basically a noob about guitars, especially electric, so I dont want to get ripped off.
Quote by arielcastillo27
In that case How should I go about buying used? The girlfriend analogy pretty much sold me. Im just nervous about used because I am basically a noob about guitars, especially electric, so I dont want to get ripped off.

Glad I helped show you the way
The safest way is to go through a major retailer like Guitar Center. They would check over the guitar before they buy it and have a return policy I'm pretty sure. They wouldn't want to sell anyone duds as this would tarnish their business reputation.

It's important to remember that guitars are not like cars, as in flaws are generally recognisable and a problem shouldn't cost you too much money (unless the guitar has been dropped and the body or neck is cracked, stay way away from those). I'm sure there's a thread on what to look for when buying a used guitar around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and post it here for you. If you have a friend who plays guitar, ask them if they can inspect a guitar with you. Here's a few things to look for from the top of my head:
- play and bend every string at every fret. If the note dies at a particular fret the fret could need to be replaced (however the action could just be super low)
- when plugged in, turn all the knobs and make sure they work. Check for scratching
- look for imperfections in the body and neck. Dings are alright, but cracks should be avoided like the plague
- Make sure all the pickups work by moving the selector switch to all the settings. Epiphones are terrible for having selector switches or their connections faulty.

EDIT: Here's the thread. Go down to the 'Testing a Guitar' section.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365675
Last edited by nathan:-) at Jan 12, 2015,
I currently have twelve guitars only one of which was purchased new, I have purchased other new guitars in the past but have gotten rid of them (some regrettably) but used is great way to get more bang for the buck.

I have three MIJ Jacksons a DKMG, DKMGT, and a RR3 Rhoads Pro, I have about $1125 total invested in the three of them with SKB/Jackson hardshell cases.

All three are pretty much in near mint condition, the two Dinkys (both of which list for around $900 without case) have a few very minor blemishes and the Rhoads doesn't have a mark on it.

I got all three of these for less than the list price of just the Rhoads with case.

I also have an MIJ Jackson DXMG without a mark on it that a grabbed for $150

Look for the post here on what to look for in a used guitar!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I read the whole thread. I think I have an idea of how to go about it now. I will try to visit my guitar center this weekend. For new I am thinking a squire standard. If I can find anything better at guitar center I will go for that. From checking their website though they dont seem to have anything much better at the price. If you can prove me wrong on that though thank you so much.
I will try to borrow a friends guitar to familiarize myself with guitars again but I will still be pretty much a noob. Im somewhat nervous about going to the store.
Quote by arielcastillo27
. From checking their website though they dont seem to have anything much better at the price. If you can prove me wrong on that though thank you so much.

The best thing about Guitar Center is the US database of used stuff. You can search the whole county and find anything used, have it shipped to you and if you don't like it, for whatever reason, just return it within 30 days and they will refund everything including shipping. No need to try one out first if you don't want to.
Quote by Jeffh40
The best thing about Guitar Center is the US database of used stuff. You can search the whole county and find anything used, have it shipped to you and if you don't like it, for whatever reason, just return it within 30 days and they will refund everything including shipping. No need to try one out first if you don't want to.

I did not know that. Thats pretty cool and opens up some more options.
Does the Squire Strat Standard not come in HSS and red? I seem to be unable to find it in stores. Its rather odd. I love rock so I figured I should get the HSS. Am I right to say that?
I am considering raising my budget to 300. Then I can get this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-Surf-Electric-Guitar-107617904-i2246231.gc

This should be better than a standard right?
Te only thing bugging me is that I cant seem to find it on an HSS version.
Last edited by arielcastillo27 at Jan 13, 2015,
I tried to talk myself out of it. BUT. I ended up buying the Vintage modified I linked. I just fell in love. I will try it out but be wary over the next 30 days. I got it for $295 with taxes and shipped.
Quote by Jeffh40

Yup I live in Indiana and I bought a used 30th anniversary Dean V w/case from GC online it shipped from Seattle (notoriously rainy city) when it arrived it played great but the chrome hardware appeared to have moisture damage like it had been corroded and then polished the kicker was all of the chrome had custom etching with 30th anniversary logos on the pickups so it was a really beautiful axe and it really bummed me out, but I wasn't about to keep it when the very thing that made it unique was seriously flawed.

I took it to my local GC and walked out with a mint condition Jackson Eerie Dess Swirl RR3 w/case no questions asked. I have bought and returned several used guitars from GC with no problems.

LOL I even bought one, had second thoughts and took it back, then went and bought it again, had second thoughts again and returned it a second time with no questions asked. (although I'm quite sure they probably though I was a lunatic)!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge