What would you play? A certain song? A sick lick? You name it.

And let's say you have an electric. Just curious. And I've been spending too much time in "shredder mode" lately and would like some other songs to play that non-guitarists actually know :P
When people say that to me I say to them "I don't really care about impressing random people".
play some catchy stuff. I usually bust out some Extreme riffs or something. I never do anything solo-y because that doesn't impress (non-musician) people, only guitar nerds.
I think that the one song that will impress almost anyone is the tapping section on Eruption.

Pro tip: It only works for non-guitarists. If you want to impress guitarists you will have to play the whole solo.
I play tremolo on open low E string, staring madly in their eyes while slowly cranking gain up to 11 and whispering "how do you like it?" and then screaming "I've said HOW DO YOU LIKE IT, BITCH!?"

It works, they don't bother me anymore.
Quote by darrenram1
I think that the one song that will impress almost anyone is the tapping section on Eruption.

Pro tip: It only works for non-guitarists. If you want to impress guitarists you will have to play the whole solo.
I actually did that once. I was in a local music store, maybe 4 years of experience in me. Some guy said, "Hey, show me what you got!" I just played the tapping. He looked kinda disappointed actually.

If someone says "impress me!" I would now say, "hey, why don't you come to -upcoming performance- to see me at my best?"
Any Marty Friedman lick. Or a sad attempt at a Shawn Lane run.
Bruh? Brah? Breh? Bruae? Bruae.
Since I mainly play acoustic, I'd say Drifting. To any acoustic guitarist it's the equivalent of stairway to heaven or smoke on the water, but to normal people it usually blows them away the first time.
Quote by evhledzep5150
What would you play? A certain song? A sick lick? You name it.

And let's say you have an electric. Just curious. And I've been spending too much time in "shredder mode" lately and would like some other songs to play that non-guitarists actually know :P

I never ever respond directly to that question. It's not why I play. I always just say "I'm no guitar hero, just a regular player." And then go about my business. I'll then just start laying down some easy grooves and let things happen. If this draws them in they usually show appreciation.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 12, 2015,
Quote by Jimjambanx
Since I mainly play acoustic, I'd say Drifting. To any acoustic guitarist it's the equivalent of stairway to heaven or smoke on the water, but to normal people it usually blows them away the first time.
to any guitarist that doesn't practice that style, it blows them away

i've tried, i don't get it
Some Dragonforce, Dream Theatre, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, anything really fast and flashy, really. These moments are the reason I picked up a guitar!
Hey Hey - Big Bill Broonzy (Clapton cover) it's a catchy rhythmic blues with a nice turn around.

Castles Made of Sand - Hendrix. It's just a good song and never fails to impress.

Or some nice fingerpicking.

To a non musician though anything you can play well beyond strumming a few chords will be impressive...and even strumming a few chords will be impressive if you can sing well.
Si
Play generic 80s shred licks behind my head. Works every time.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Depends on the person. I get this a lot when I'm just sitting around at the store I work in, noodling on a guitar. If it's an older guy, like 50s or older, it's the Beatles. Either Maxwell's Silver Hammer or Eleanor Rigby. If it's a younger guy, who looks like he's into heavier music, I'll just play any of the countless metal riffs I come up with all the time, and am too lazy to work into actual songs. Or, if I happen to be playing a 7 string, The Enemy Inside. If I can't tell just by looking at the guy what might impress him... Limelight. Everybody loves Rush.
Quote by Jimjambanx

Yeah, like Will Lane said, I think that'll blow away anyone who doesn't play that particular style of acoustic. Definitely not the type of thing that just any acoustic player will pick up.

Also, I've never bothered learning either Stairway or Smoke on the Water.
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah, like Will Lane said, I think that'll blow away anyone who doesn't play that particular style of acoustic. Definitely not the type of thing that just any acoustic player will pick up.

It's really not that difficult TBH. It was the first acoustic guitar song I ever learnt (before I played electric for about 4 years). Just isolated each bar, perfecting 1 bar at a time, and practiced non stop for about 2 weeks and got it down. Once you get the verse down, it's all smooth sailing. Worth every minute of practice, always a sure fire way of impressing someone (:
Last edited by Jimjambanx at Jan 13, 2015,
Quote by Jimjambanx
It's really not that difficult TBH. It was the first acoustic guitar song I ever learnt (before I played electric for about 4 years). Just isolated each bar, perfecting 1 bar at a time, and practiced non stop for about 2 weeks and got it down. Once you get the verse down, it's all smooth sailing. Worth every minute of practice, always a sure fire way of impressing someone (:

I might have to start figuring it out once I get my acoustic then. I've got a really shitty acoustic right now, but I've got a nice Taylor on layaway, that I should have paid off in a few months. Maybe I'll try to learn that when I get it. Rylynn was the first Andy McKee song I heard, and I would love to be able to play that some day. But it looks a lot more complicated.
I like to play something that sounds really cool:- Sunshine of your Love by Cream
Its not that hard to play and as I said just sounds really cool.
Layla (Clapton), Thunder Struck (Angus), THEIR national anthem (Hendrix'd & Vai'd), a hook/lick from their favourite song,
You did say they couldn't play right?, the thing with non muso's is if you just spat off say Spanish Fly (VH), there's a chance it will just whizz past their ears (and eyes) with them thinking most can do it? How many (typical) non muso's would relate to a solo by Jaco Pastorius??
Last edited by tonibet72 at Jan 14, 2015,
Quote by the_bi99man
I might have to start figuring it out once I get my acoustic then. I've got a really shitty acoustic right now, but I've got a nice Taylor on layaway, that I should have paid off in a few months. Maybe I'll try to learn that when I get it. Rylynn was the first Andy McKee song I heard, and I would love to be able to play that some day. But it looks a lot more complicated.

Rylynn is VERY complex, I still can't play it. Drifting however is by far Mckee's easiest song, as long as you isolate every 4 notes and keep the rhythm steady you should be golden. Andy made a tutorial on it a while ago you can find on youtube as well.
Im assuming that a non musician has little or no experience listening to contemporary post 20th century music/art music, atonal music, or anything like that. Their ear is more than likely used to hearing whatever is on the radio, tv, the internet and their phones. With that being said, as long as you are in tune (like really in tune), and you aren't playing in a complicated meter or changing keys or adding borrowed chords or anything like that, anything diatonic will probably impress them. And by them I mean the average American citizen, not kids who listen to metal only or older generations who like classic rock or people who only like rap or whatever, but if you play something that appeals to the most general of audiences it'll probably sound impressive to their ears. Pretty diatonic chords (idk maybe a I - ii - V ) arpeggiated with fingerpicking usually impresses most people that don't play an instrument.
I'd play a simple I V vi IV variant chord progression. Non-musicians love chords, so what's to go wrong?
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Jimjambanx
I'm not exactly sure what version of, "Stairway" you've been listening to, but it is mostly acoustic... 12 string actually. (Yeah I know, on stage it goes out with an electric double neck).

More to the topic, you can easily impress just about anyone if you play things they like. What you like might just turn them off completely. Then too, it would depend largely on the age of the requester.

To the downside, this reminds me of how many times I've been asked to "do a wheelie", when riding my motorcycle. Which always sounds like someone asking me to "jump", expecting my response to be, "how high". Which leads me to the idea of handing the person the guitar and saying, "why don't you impress me instead"?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 19, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
More to the topic, you can easily impress just about anyone if you play things they like. What you like might just turn them off completely. Then too, it would depend largely on the age of the requester.

That's the great thing about Drifting, as a song it's pretty simple as so most people would enjoy it, but even then it's more for the visually appealing and technical aspect of playing melody, bass and percussion simultaneously. They're asking you to impress them, not to play them their favourite song.
Being Danish and living in Denmark playing an intro of 2 chords E minor and A Major would go over pretty well and has since it's release in 1975.

It was a hit and now it's a cultural hit.

Also anything with feeling goes over more than a shred guitarist in my humble 2 cents opinion. Shred is like just evidence you practiced your butt of.