Page 1 of 2
In response to this France shooting thing, a lot of people on Facebook and social media have been fairly outraged at the response the media has had - eg. solidarity with journalists and covering the frankly shocking murder of a bunch of people in one of the worlds most famous cities by masked gunmen.

However people seem to be outraged that the media is covering this event. "Why are we covering this event? 2000 people were killed in Nigeria. There was an attack on the NAACP. Why are we covering this small time Paris shooting?". Before the bodies are even cold people are criticising the white media for focusing on this huge story, and bringing up other world events to be outraged by.

Can't you just say this thing is awful without bringing something else up? Life is not a competition of who is the saddest. It doesn't make you a better person just because you are sadder about the loss of 2,000 lives than someone else is for 17. Why do we live in this culture of who can act the most sad and outraged about something.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The NAACP bombing didn't even kill anybody. But 2000 people in Nigeria, wtf happened. I have ongoing business dealings with a prince over there.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
People can say that cause the math does work. 2000>17. You don't see these marches when a kid in America shoots up his school. In that case all you hear is guns don't kill, people do.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ErikLensherr
But 2000 people in Nigeria, wtf happened.

Boko Haram captured the town of Baga last week and hundreds were killed. I think that's the event being referred to.
What if a wild polar bear appeared in central London?

There's thousands of them in the north pole so it's not newsworthy
People who live in the white, christian western society will be more interested in what happens to people of the same descent and culture.

Is that so strange?

I don't care the sligtest about something in Indonesia the same way I care about Norway, Denmark, UK, France or Spain. Those are my neighboring countries and that will affect me.
I don't expect chinese or indonesians to care the slightest about me in comparision to how much they care about people from their own region.

People who bring up "heey 2000 died here bla bla bla" doesn't seem to realise that in that country/region of the world the incidents here are not nearly as news worthy. Or should we critizise those countries and that media for not reporting about "us" all the time too?

It's just dumb as ****.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 12, 2015,
Nigeria link

On topic, the people that say that kind of stuff are the people who need to have something to moan about, no matter what it is. They can't seem to grasp the fact that 1) not all people relate to all events in the same way, especially if said events are close to home or something, 2) newspapers are businesses that want to make money and will obviously go for the stories that make the biggest impact on their audience.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
People who live in the white, christian western society will be more interested in what happens to people of the same descent and culture.

Is that so strange?

I don't care the sligtest about something in Indonesia the same way I care about Norway, Denmark, UK, France or Spain. Those are my neighboring countries and that will affect me.
I don't expect chinese or indonesians to care the slightest about me in comparision to how much they care about people from their own region.

People who bring up "heey 2000 died here bla bla bla" doesn't seem to realise that in that country/region of the world the incidents here are not nearly as news worthy. Or should we critizise those countries and that media for not reporting about "us" all the time too?

It's just dumb as ****.

It's the effect of these news story is often why is gets reported. The Paris attacks show Muslim extremists in the heart of a Western country, with guns and masks, murdering tens of people over the course of a few days. For the Western news, and most Western people, that's absolutely terrifying. Nowhere is safe, it has massive implications of IS's power and they could theoretically strike anywhere, from the pub down the road to a shoot up at the heart of our government.

Meanwhile in Africa, a paramilitary group kills a bunch of African people. It's shitty and extremely terrible, but that's just what happens in these war torn African countries. It's awful but has no consequence on our life, and we can't do anything to help it (unlike for example, the Tsunami when we could give aid money to the affected)

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
My opinion on this thread is that it is bad and dangerous, similar to renown feminist Beauvoir's views on 'the serious man'.

But srsly, I think there's ulterior motives at play here in its coverage rather than just race-baiting/race-uniting/free speech discussion, but what that motive is or how it will shape political landscape I do not know.

You dont see an entire nation taking to the streets and holding hands for this shit, do you? http://news.yahoo.com/islamic-state-kills-24-kurds-surprise-attack-north-122132444.html

I havent even followed the story at all apart from scrolling past some headlines and light speed-reading, as I dont trust it
brown people aren't as important to the news, and glorifying a massive bigot as the messiah because he was killed by censorship-loving terrorists makes for better press. The issue people have is more to do with representation and the social dynamics and institutional biases therein, and you know that well.

simples
Last edited by Banjocal at Jan 12, 2015,
people die in third world countries everyday

the paris shooting is newsworthy because it happened in a place where this kind of thing shouldn't and doesn't usually happen
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Is that so strange?
Quote by So-Cal

the paris shooting is newsworthy because it happened in a place where this kind of thing shouldn't and doesn't usually happen
"oh my gosh, we can't believe that happened!"

"oh hey football is on"

1st world countries seem to act as a whole by distracting themselves
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 12, 2015,
Quote by So-Cal

I wouldn't have said that...
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Xenophobic cynicism in this thread, but understood as to why/points taken.

Im still incredibly apathetic to any 'new findings' about the Charlie stuff. As if French people are more relateable to Americans than the Kurdish people, who are more actually fighting the IS (that whole sticks&stones argument)

I dont need to read books on propoganda to know that commercials featuring doctors aren't actually doctors just because they're wearing fkng scrubs. And I dont need to follow 'let's make fun of a religion's prophet' stories simply because some news articles tell me that they said 'ALLAH' before shooting
Quote by Pastafarian96
I wouldn't have said that...

I think he meant more or less that we (people outside of those areas in higher world standard) are used to atrocious state of 3rd world countries, and that it no longer shocks us. Or maybe we're just ignorant to it/don't care.
I honestly don't give a **** about Paris and I think most people don't. Thanks to Facebook however now everyone who wants to be liked will pretend to care just to fit in. #jesuischarlie no people you are not. They actually stuck their necks out, you are just a sjw sitting behind a computer watching the number of likes go up.

It is why I admire Muslims. At least they care for eachother. We are not a nation, we are individuals.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by So-Cal

especially in large numbers
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Will Lane
I think he meant more or less that we (people outside of those areas in higher world standard) are used to atrocious state of 3rd world countries, and that it no longer shocks us. Or maybe we're just ignorant to it/don't care.

I meant the use of shouldn't. I read it as developing countries have this happen all the time and there's nothing wrong with it.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Will Lane
"oh my gosh, we can't believe that happened!"

"oh hey football is on"

1st world countries seem to act as a whole by distracting themselves

hm?

well, would it be better if people just sat apathecially and watched the news from all over the world about people killing each other and cried themselves to sleep over every massacre ever from all corners of the world?

sounds to me some people find that to be the right way to deal with tragedies in the world.
Quote by Pastafarian96
I meant the use of shouldn't. I read it as developing countries have this happen all the time and there's nothing wrong with it.

That is also how i read it.
cat
Quote by Pastafarian96

that's not what i meant
Can't you just say this thing is awful without bringing something else up?
No, cos we don't live in individual vacuums.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
No, cos we don't live in individual vacuums.

When someone like Robin Williams dies and someone says "But what about the children in Africa who die every day!" that is what I am talking about. The two are not connected.

And it also seems the Paris attack was a false flag, hence the media coverage/cover-up
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Quote by EndTheRapture51
When someone like Robin Williams dies and someone says "But what about the children in Africa who die every day!" that is what I am talking about. The two are not connected.

Yes they are, we are all one
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Quote by So-Cal
that's not what i meant

I thought your post was quite clear in what you were trying to say actually.
Quote by The Judist
Yes they are, we are all one

The suicide of a beloved actor is not connected to famine in a third world country.

Quote by The Judist
And it also seems the Paris attack was a false flag, hence the media coverage/cover-up

what?
It really is just like what the Joker said in The Dark Knight. The difference is that one is unexpected and the other is "all part of the plan."

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think it raises a good point. It certainly makes sense why such events get more news coverage, especially in this instance because people die en masse in Africa all of the time, but I still think that stories should be covered based on importance (this is a really broad term, I know, but I think you get what I mean. I couldn't find a more suitable word) rather than potential to sell or boost ratings.

Somewhat relevant to this- My local newspaper's front page has had something similar happen the past couple of days. On Thursday, the France event was the main story. On Friday and Saturday, it was a story about a young kid who died because a folding bench in the cafeteria collapsed and hit him in the head. That was the main story, there were five articles on it in total and the article on terrorist attacks in France was on the right margin. I wondered why, but I figured it was because the kid died in the county (for people who don't live in America, it goes Country → State → County → City) where that newspaper is printed and distributed.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The suicide of a beloved actor is not connected to famine in a third world country.
A compassionate guy like him woulda been bummed out by the state of the world, including third world famine. So yeah, connected.
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Quote by The Judist
A compassionate guy like him woulda been bummed out by the state of the world, including third world famine. So yeah, connected.

They're only connected because you went looking for things that might connect the two in any way. Are they also connected because Robin Williams might have been busy one day and didn't have time to eat lunch?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
what?

It seems pretty clear to many that this was a false flag operation, just going by all the sketchy related news to it/France's lack of care for free speech before this
Quote by The Judist

You have no reason why he was depressed and it's a bit insulting that you think he would have killed because the state of Africa was making him depressed.

I just walked through the break room here at work and CNN was talking about Boko Haram. Sounds like people getting upset over nothing.

Maybe it's because news networks are not good at covering multiple stories anymore. They just beat a topic into the ground until you don't care about it anymore, then move on to the next topic and cover it for a day and a half. I'm sure CNN will move on to the NAACP bomb by Wednesday.
It's pretty obvious that Europeans are more interested in what happens in Europe than what happens in Africa. When Robin Williams died, why shouldn't the news have talked about it? I mean, he had lots of fans. People know him. They can relate to him more than to some random people in 3rd world countries (and I'm not trying to offend anybody).

I'm sure if a murder happened in the city you live in, it would be a lot bigger thing to you than a lot of people dying in 3rd world countries.

Also, change is what sells. I mean, when things stay the same, you can't really tell anything new about anything. But when something unusual happens, it's "more newsworthy". Or at least more interesting. People don't want to read abut the same things all the time. So if people in Africa keep on dying "normally", I understand why people talk more about some more unusual things (like a well known actor committing suicide). Status quo doesn't really interest anybody.

And why is Robin Williams's death any more important than an old man dying naturally? Because Robin Williams is well known. As I said, people can relate to him. He has done something that has touched people. That's what made him important and that's why people were so sad when he died.

Let's say your mother died. Why would you be sad about it when people around the world die all the time? I mean, a human life is a human life, right? But it isn't so. Some people just are more important than others. I mean, my family is really important to me, but somebody who doesn't know me wouldn't care if my parents died - or if I died. And I don't think they should. But the point is, my family is important to me. Somebody else's family is important to them. Robin Williams was important to a lot of people.

I think people who post comments like "but 2000 children die in Africa every day and blablabla" are just hypocrites. I'm sure if something horrible happened in their hometown or their family was killed or whatever, they wouldn't say things like that any more. The most horrible things are bad things that happen to you or to the people you love. And IMO that's understandable. I'm sure most people value their own/loved ones' lives over everything else. It would be pretty strange if they didn't.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Politics. I mean that in a general sense, not in a pessimistic way.

The France bombing is being covered because it highlights the issue of freedom of expression clashing with traditional Muslim beliefs as we try to peacefully integrate these beliefs into our western world.

If it were just an issue of people killing other people, there is no real discussion that can come of that. We all think boko haram are bad. Beating that dead horse isn't helping anybody. We shouldn't ignore those stories, but I think most news journalists are going to gravitate towards stories with a greater political and cultural depth simply due to their own journalistic integrity.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
because one is way more relevant to us

same reason I hear about a murder in Philadelphia and not Los Angeles
It's not "Why is the Paris attacks getting coverage" it's "Why do people moan that one lot of mass murder isn't getting as much attention as another"

i don't know why people do things

to seem morally superior
because they are genuinely disheartened at the inequality in the world
idk
Page 1 of 2