Poll: Who's Sabbath's greatest singer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who's Sabbath's greatest singer?
Ozzy
18 50%
Dio
13 36%
Ian Gillain
1 3%
Glenn Hughes
1 3%
Tony Martin
3 8%
Voters: 36.
I'm totally certain this has never been discussed before. Is it...

Ozzy Osbourne on:

Black Sabbath (1970)
Paranoid (1970)
Master of Reality (1971)
Vol.4 (1972)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)
Sabotage (1975)
Technical Ecstasy (1976)
Never Say Die! (1978)
13 (2013)

Ronnie James Dio on:

Heaven and Hell (1980)
Mob Rules (1981)
Dehumanizer (1992)
The Devil You Know (2009)

Ian Gillain on:

Born Again (1983)

Glenn Hughes on:

Seventh Star (1987)

Tony Martin on:

The Eternal Idol (1987)
Headless Cross (1989)
TYR (1990)
Cross Purposes (1994)
Forbidden (1995)

Vote and discuss.
As vocalists, I have to say my favourite is Ray Gillen, but I guess there's not much Sabbath to be heard from him. In terms of albums, it's Dio for me.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Thought about that too, hell even Rob Halford sang for Sabbath, but for simplicity's sake, only the singers on albums here.
Ozzy of course. Just throwing this out there but Tony Martin was a great singer, he just wrote lame lyrics (or was geezer still doing them then?). Forbidden is a really good song with a great riff and I'd like to hear a 70's era Ozzy sing it or have a 70's era Geezer re-write the lyrics.
Dio all the way. His work with Sababth might not be considered 'classic' Sabbath, but he was the greatest singer of them and Heaven & Hell is a classic song no matter what!
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
I like Dio, too.
Ozzy has never really appealed to me on a vocal level. Even with his solo stuff, it was the riffs that I dug. If it wasn't for the revolving door of guitar players and Sharon, his solo career would have fallen flat, I think.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I like all of their singers but I'll definitely have to go for Dio, with Martin a dangerously close second.
Quote by Rebel Scum
Ozzy of course. Just throwing this out there but Tony Martin was a great singer, he just wrote lame lyrics (or was geezer still doing them then?).

Nope, Tony Martin wrote his own lyrics.
Quote by ryanbwags
Ozzy has never really appealed to me on a vocal level. Even with his solo stuff, it was the riffs that I dug. If it wasn't for the revolving door of guitar players and Sharon, his solo career would have fallen flat, I think.

I think it's fair to say that Ozzy was technically one of the worst vocalists in history. But also one of the most iconic ones, if not the single most iconic one. Tony Martin was a much better singer, but sadly no rock star at all.
Ozzy - His vocals on Fairies Wear Boots and War Pigs are just stellar. I will admit Dio was a better singer but I think Ozzy was the perfect fit for the sound
Dio had better skills as a vocalist... but Ozzy had a solid 8 albums and is the better Sabbath vocalist. It's not always about skill, it's about attitude. And Ozzy was a badass just like lemmy before he met Sharon
Last edited by guitgrinder at Jan 12, 2015,
Quote by badfish_lewis
Ozzy - His vocals on Fairies Wear Boots and War Pigs are just stellar. I will admit Dio was a better singer but I think Ozzy was the perfect fit for the sound

His vocal on Dirty Women was really good.
Hard to say. Either Ozzy or Dio was quite great.

I have never listened to non-Ozzy and non-Dio Black Sabbath music. Can't complain much about it.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
I have listened to Ozzy and Dio only when it comes to Sabbath and I will pick Dio every time in any case...I think Iommi wrote the better riffs/songs when Ozzy was around, but when you compare vocals there is none better than Dio.
I gotta vote Ozzy. When I think of Sabbath, I hear him singing. Heaven and Hell is a great album, but it didn't sound or feel like Black Sabbath to me.
Dio was their best vocalist, but all my favourite albums of theirs are with ozzy.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate