Hi guys, I recently (october) purchased a Blackstar ID core:40 for myself. It's clean bright channel with a splash of spring reverb is the tone i have searched for for ages. I was wondering if the ID core series is consistent with their sounds as they get louder (in terms of different models eg id 100 watt) , as I would be looking to take this sound into a gigging level. Or if there is any amazing clean sounding amps that are loud, and quite cheap. One of the things that drew me towards the id 100 watt head is that blackstar make cheap 412 cabs and the id 100 head is cheapish.

If any of you guys have these amps, i'd love to hear your experience with them. If it helps i've got an American Special Strat with the Texas Special pups in.
Quote by HarryHammerOn
I would be looking to take this sound into a gigging level.
Get a PA system and mic the amp up.
It's gonna be as loud as you want it to, and it's gonna sound better than just using the guitar amp.

Edit: a 100w amp is about 7dB louder than a 20w amp, all other things being equal, and that isn't THAT much.
Also blackstar cabs suck - cheap wood and cheap speakers and cheap build quality.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 12, 2015,
I've been thinking of that, but I would like the easy transport of a head cab and speaker cable, but yeah, I'll think of it. Thanks
Edit: Didn't see your edit, are they really that horrible? I've heard they were.. not as good but surely they'll be ok, i'm not a very violent act haha
Last edited by HarryHammerOn at Jan 12, 2015,
Quote by HarryHammerOn
I've been thinking of that, but I would like the easy transport of a head cab and speaker cable
A PA system though will sound better to an audience, while a guitar amp alone will make a quarter of the audience hear ear-piercing trebles, a quarter would hear a mushy mess, a quarter would hear everything just right, and the rest would hear close to nothing.

I would reeeally advise against playing with an amp without a PA system, period.
Quote by HarryHammerOn
Didn't see your edit, are they really that horrible?
Yes.
Quote by HarryHammerOn
I've heard they were.. not as good but surely they'll be ok, i'm not a very violent act haha
What kinda act you are doesn't matter, you'll sound bad in any case if you use one of them cabs.

Well unless you're in a classic punk band, in which case a bad sound might be what you're after so a blackstar cab would be worth considering.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 12, 2015,
I don't think there's much of a difference in sound, but of course between a combo and a head, the cab matters lots. I was choosing between the ID:15 and ID:30 and didn't hear much of a difference so went for the cheaper one. So yes, the head sounds the same, but you need to find the right cabinet.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!