im looking to buy my first fender. is there really difference between these besides the finish. i think the buddy guy one looks cool is hell, but dont think the extra cash if worth it for a finish. any help would be cool.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The V-shape neck, the vintage-style tuners and the gigbag is what I can see on the spec-sheet now. Hard to tell if it is the whole truth, either way, but they haven't put in much to make us see any clear differences there at least. It seems to share the ceramic single-coils of the Standard, as well as other features.

I will happily recommend the Standard Stratocaster, as I bought one last September and I am really pleased with the guitar even next to my American Standard and American Deluxe Strats. Hard to find any complaints with it really, I like the pickups as they're more modern sounding than your average Fender single-coils, works great with distortion although of course with the usual hum. Well made and finished guitar with good fretwork and setup right out of the box.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jan 12, 2015,
Buy a signature guitar if you are a huge fan of the player and want to own a guitar similar to the one he plays. Buy a standard if you want high quality but aren't interested in paying extra for the signature endorsement.

What make me totally crazy: People spend big bucks to get a signature model and then they proceed to change out the hardware and pickups. WTF!!!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Buy a signature guitar if you are a huge fan of the player and want to own a guitar similar to the one he plays. Buy a standard if you want high quality but aren't interested in paying extra for the signature endorsement.

What make me totally crazy: People spend big bucks to get a signature model and then they proceed to change out the hardware and pickups. WTF!!!

People don't always buy signature models because they're fans of the artist. Some people buy signature models based on the guitar's specs, not because of an artist endorsement. Of course, that only works for brands that actually offer features on their artist models that aren't available on regular models, instead of releasing ten versions of the same '59 Les Paul that only have a different name on the back of the headstock.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I've got one in the shop. The V-shape is great. The polka Dots are cool. It's worth the extra cash all the way in my opinion. The vintage tuners are a huge plus for me, as well.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by kangaxxter
People don't always buy signature models because they're fans of the artist. Some people buy signature models based on the guitar's specs, not because of an artist endorsement.

Totally agree. I have a Fear Factory signature guitar, a Joe Satriani delay pedal, and a Zakk Wylde chorus. I don't like any of their music, but in many cases, they don't just put a name on an existing model, but build something that some great player demands because he's unsatisfied with the standard options. And those modifications may work well for you too, no matter if you like those artists.
ive been looking at the fender modern player stratocaster, i think its cool as **** being hsh and being made of mahogany. anyone have any experience with them?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
ive been looking at the fender modern player stratocaster, i think its cool as **** being hsh and being made of mahogany. anyone have any experience with them?

What I know about the Modern Player is that they broke the tradition with Fender and easily replaceable parts, since the neck pockets have different measurements than other Fenders. If you take a look at the Telecaster in the series, the neck is 22 frets and that would mean a fretboard extension, but instead the neck extends all the way. I'm not sure of that Strat, but if they didn't get the Tele right I would guess they didn't bother with that either.

Internet says this and that about the quality, but I was thrown off by the fact that they in this regard seemed like counterfeits with the Fender-name slapped on it, and bought a MIM Standard.

Modern Player Series = Made in China = Essentially Classic Vibe parts that they charge you more for because of the headstock. Yeck.
Quote by JustRooster
Modern Player Series = Made in China = Essentially Classic Vibe parts that they charge you more for because of the headstock. Yeck.

That's not true at all. They are made in different factories by different companies in China, and share no relation whatsoever. The Classic Vibe Series have been known for excellent reproductions of the Fender designs, where the parts fit together with American and Mexican Fenders quite easily, whereas the Modern Player Series have been criticized for that which I mentioned previously.

What I think we can say for certain is that Fender wanted a MIC product line under the Fender name after the success of the Squier Classic Vibe Series, both in sales and in reviews.

MIC instrument reviews suffer tremendously from ownership bias, I think. Have a few in the shop here and again, been selling around and through. They're fine, but I don't think they're near the quality they're heralded.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 14, 2015,
People don't always buy signature models because they're fans of the artist. Some people buy signature models based on the guitar's specs, not because of an artist endorsement. Of course, that only works for brands that actually offer features on their artist models that aren't available on regular models, instead of releasing ten versions of the same '59 Les Paul that only have a different name on the back of the headstock.

True enough. I bought a Gibson BB King Lucille ES-355, not because I wanted BB King's name on it, but because I wanted an ES without the f-holes and with the nicer hardware.

If the OP is a huge Buddy Guy fan, then buying the Buddy Guy would make sense. I'm a big SRV fan, and spent time and money experimenting with pickups to get the sound that I liked. The Fender Signature SRV wouldn't sound right.
Quote by Monkeyleg
If the OP is a huge Buddy Guy fan, then buying the Buddy Guy would make sense. I'm a big SRV fan, and spent time and money experimenting with pickups to get the sound that I liked. The Fender Signature SRV wouldn't sound right.

I to am a huge SRV fan, I have a honey blonde Highway One with an SRV pickguard like Stevie's 'Scotch' and replaced the pickups with 57/62's. I played the SRV Signature Strat, but to me the neck was just too chunky. Even though I'm a fan I wouldn't buy one, because I know that it's not going to make me sound like SRV and that his tone came through a tubescreamer, his Marshall, Fender and Dumble tube amps, a Strat, and of course his fingers.

My belief is that an SSS Stratocaster will sound the same if you're playing Hendrix, SRV, Gilmour, Dick Dale, etc. If you want to sound like Buddy Guy, get yourself the Standard and maybe upgrade the pickups. If you like the features and the look of the BG Signature, by all means go for it.
yeah im not abuddy guy fan, just thought it looked cool lol. and have been wanting to get a strat for awhile. maybe ill take a look at the vm and cv squiers as well.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah im not abuddy guy fan, just thought it looked cool lol. and have been wanting to get a strat for awhile. maybe ill take a look at the vm and cv squiers as well.

They will NOT compare to a Buddy Guy Strat.
Quote by JustRooster
They will NOT compare to a Buddy Guy Strat.

yeah i realize that, just alot cheaper, and i would probably put a high gain pickup in the bridge anyways, because i do enjoy heavy music as well. i just liked the finish really. i did see a couple buddy guys for $400-500 used.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you're only doing it for the finish, and you plan to change pickups out, I wouldn't bother paying the extra for a fancy finish and get a MIM Fender in a cool color and hot rod it.
Quote by JustRooster
If you're only doing it for the finish, and you plan to change pickups out, I wouldn't bother paying the extra for a fancy finish and get a MIM Fender in a cool color and hot rod it.

yeah i was thinking the same thing. id like to put a super distortion in the bridge, probably keep the other two picksup the same, wanted to be able to play metal still on it here and there. but also switch to say arctic monkeys or whites stripes if i wanted to..
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by JustRooster

Or any other decent quality Stratclone in the same price range, really.

Edit- for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-Bolt-6-String-Electric-Guitar-w-Gig-Bag-Transparent-Purple-/361184324477?pt=Guitar&hash=item5418436b7d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Legacy-/141546080404?pt=Guitar&hash=item20f4cdc894

www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-USA-Legacy-Leo-Fenders-Best-Strat-Matching-Headstock-Birdseye-Neck-OHC-/121544328491?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c4c9b452b
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 19, 2015,
My favorite "Metal" pickup for a Strat bridge that doesn't require a new pickguard is the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. They respond very well to most dirt boxes of the world. Super Distortion is a great one, too.

The best way is to just order a new pickguard and get a full-sized humbucker if you want a true metal sound.

Or better yet!:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMGKH20?siid=56487&gclid=CjwKEAiA8_KlBRD9z_jl_fKBhQkSJABDKqiXK4ihfQUgX-wa0tD0vBpyGUN7j4Owq83k-s5wf4a-ZxoCy0Lw_wcB

I'm not a Metallica fan, but the EMG's in that prewired pickguard sound rather good. David Gilmour used to use the same single coils. He uses Fat 50's now, though.
Quote by JustRooster
My favorite "Metal" pickup for a Strat bridge that doesn't require a new pickguard is the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. They respond very well to most dirt boxes of the world. Super Distortion is a great one, too.

The best way is to just order a new pickguard and get a full-sized humbucker if you want a true metal sound.

Or better yet!:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMGKH20?siid=56487&gclid=CjwKEAiA8_KlBRD9z_jl_fKBhQkSJABDKqiXK4ihfQUgX-wa0tD0vBpyGUN7j4Owq83k-s5wf4a-ZxoCy0Lw_wcB

I'm not a Metallica fan, but the EMG's in that prewired pickguard sound rather good. David Gilmour used to use the same single coils. He uses Fat 50's now, though.

that would be sick, but then you gotta make space for the damn battery lol. they make a jb and super distortion single coil size.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
you want metal sound then go with a Lace Sensor Red or an alumitone series. will fit straight in and no battery needed.
nice.

another guitar i was looking at was the fender deluxe players. seems pretty nice and they go sued for $300, i would most likely get used heh.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by monwobobbo
you want metal sound then go with a Lace Sensor Red or an alumitone series.

Especially the Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
how do you guys feel about the classic vibe strats? i have a classic vine bass and i love it. i heard good things about them and they are cheaper than fender mim. thoughts?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Depends on the one. I really enjoy the 50's Classic Vibe. The pickups suck, but that can be fixed.
yeah i was taking a liking to the 50s because i love a maple neck. they go used for about $250 i think.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A