For the time being, my metalcore band has two guitarists (myself being one) and no bassist. I figured to fill in the low end, I'll have my rhythm guitarist drive up the bass on his Orange amp a little bit, and I will turn down the bass and turn the mids and highs up on my 5150 to kinda cut through. Does this make sense or should we try something different to achieve an acceptable live sound? We've tried this set up for a few shows and it sounds good to me but id like some opinions from others, thanks!
Without hearing your sound it's kinda hard to know what is going on
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Hire a bassist.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hire a bassist.

+1

The only other way that I can think of is to replicate and route the rhythm guitarist's clean tone to an EQ, to completely filter out higher frequencies, an octave-down pitch synthesis pedal (Micro POG), to a bass amp. It will probably sound like how mud looks and feels, but the sonic space will be filled.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 12, 2015,
Quote by DylanHendrix
Without hearing your sound it's kinda hard to know what is going on

Agreed; it's hard to give recommendations when we aren't hearing it ourselves. All I can say is that bass plays an extremely important role filling out the sound in modern metal mixes, even if your guitars are downtuned or you have the bass cranked up on your guitar amp. But if you're liking how it sounds, it really doesn't matter. It might be worthwhile to ask some people at the show what they think.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Cathbard
Hire a bassist.

THIS

Without bass, your missing a fundamental ingredient. You're not playing folk songs in a coffee shop, for god sake. If it was me, I'd have one of the guitar players play bass (you can get a decent bass rig for small gigs for cheap) until you can get a bass player. It'll definitely sound better with 1 guitar player & 1 bass player than just 2 guitar players.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
THIS

Without bass, your missing a fundamental ingredient. You're not playing folk songs in a coffee shop, for god sake. If it was me, I'd have one of the guitar players play bass (you can get a decent bass rig for small gigs for cheap) until you can get a bass player. It'll definitely sound better with 1 guitar player & 1 bass player than just 2 guitar players.

I understand all that aha, our bass player is in the military and will be returning in about 2 months and we're just trying to make do. I do have some bass gear but it sounds like absolute garbage.
Quote by BigBumbis
I understand all that aha, our bass player is in the military and will be returning in about 2 months and we're just trying to make do. I do have some bass gear but it sounds like absolute garbage.

Hell, if he's back in 2 months, I'd just use that down time to write new songs & practice!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Will Lane
Also, what about sampling the bass parts into the mix?

If y'all want to get technical this is a way to do it. Just make a backing track with the bass parts and play along to it. Takes a little work but it's a good option. Y'all could expand to extra guitar, vocal, and other parts as well.
Quote by riffhog
Hell, if he's back in 2 months, I'd just use that down time to write new songs & practice!

+1
very few bands can get away with playing live with no bassist, I doubt your one of them (no offence)
This is one that can drums and guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1h3UuEwOCT8
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's metalcore, it sucks anyway, you don't need a bassist...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
It's metalcore, it sucks anyway, you don't need a bassist...

What ever Gray-bush
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Frankly bass gear doesn't matter too much depending on where you're playing. The tech at my college says he often just DI's bass live for simplicity, and if you're really worried, you could run a Sansamp Bass driver DI, which should get a reasonable tone.

Also another option would be a backing track. Record the bass, chuck some plugins over it to make it sound good, and just try using that. May be hard in terms of keeping time etc. but it may be your best solution.
Last year, we were booked to do a show with another band but a few days before, their bassist hurt himself so he couldn't play and there wasn't enough time to find a replacement.

So the rhythm guitarist split his signal in two, one going into his normal guitar setup and the other going into a bass amp set to clean.

It sounded very decent but the two guitarists have amazing chemistry and it wasn't metal... more like spacey folk on electric guitars.

I'm not saying it'll work for you but if you already have a bass amp and a splitter, it might be worth a try.
At a guess, you can probably pull this off, but I'd definitely put a good mike on the kick drum to pick up some bottom end slack.

I've got a Variax, and I can set up an alternate tuning that has the bottom two strings an octave down (in bass territory). If you have an amp that can give you a reasonably good bass response when fed bass (ish) notes, you should be able to fake it.
It is all about the sound engineer. We gigged for several years without a bassist. Our drummer used triggers that were tuned to provide more bass and both of us guitarists had dialed in more lows than usual, it actually sounded better than when we got a bassist later.
Think Metallica AJFA - no bass in the mix, I dare you to hear it.
It is more audience perception than anything...
If you have a rhythm guitarist that doesn't do harmonies and just chugs, by all means, move him temporarily to bass.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 14, 2015,