Hey everyone. I got this guitar (Flying V 120) on Friday and over the past few days I've come to notice a few issues that are really bugging me, I've attached pictures so you can see what I'm on about. Firstly, and most importantly, the paint where the tailpiece goes in to the body is chipped, and as you can see it's really quite noticeable.
On the 21st fret there's a dent, it doesn't effect the playability at all, no dead notes but it's there.
There's a small hairline crack on the fretboard binding. This is no big deal at all really.
The damn thing won't stay in tune! Every time I do a big bend on the G, it detunes to F#. I know this is a very common problem on new Gibson's and can more than likely be easily fixed with a set up and some alterations to the nut, but still...
This guitar is my dream guitar, it sounds amazing, looks amazing (apart from the finish defects) and it's an honour to own one, but these problems are winding me up and I don't know whether to send it back or not. The problem is that there isn't another one of these guitars available so I'd only be able to get a refund; but I'd want a replacement. My question to you guys is: if this was your guitar, could you put up with the quality control issues and keep it or would you send it back? I think it's pretty ridiculous to have quality control issues like this on a £1500 guitar. I really don't know what to do and would just like to hear some opinions. Cheers.
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
Not more than normal cosmetic issues when buying a Gibson USA guitar, in my experience. If you want flawless finish, you have chosen the wrong brand to go with.

However, you could send those pictures to the store and ask for a partial refund in order to keep the guitar. Most stores will work with you on issues like these in my experience. If the store is willing to do that it wouldn't bother me, and if I liked the guitar I definitely wouldn't pick sending it back as my first option.

Is it ridiculous to have quality control issues on a £1500 guitar? I'm not sure. Never seen a perfect guitar, and you could find issues on anything if you look close enough. These issues are really rather small. Furthermore, small cosmetic imperfections are quite harmless and if you're going to play the guitar you will have lots of dents and scratches to go with those in time.

What matters, in the end, is what you think. Will you be able to connect with the guitar and be inspired by it, despite the initial flaws? If the only thing you will think about is these issues you have identified, the answer is probably clear.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jan 12, 2015,
It's a sh***y feeling man, got the new guitar, not cosmetically perfect, happened to me when I ordered my american vintage strat a few years ago, the finish was to put in bluntly, sloppy, I sent mine back got, even had to switch from Daphne Blue to Surf Green! But, I got a really perfect ,IMO, guitar. The bottom line is you spent the dough and you can only make the call, I will say the stop bar finish flaw is pretty bad work, I haven't played that many Gibson's but I don't recall seeing that.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Do yourself a favour and send it back. It looks used!! If you're pissy at it now its only going to get worse. It's a lot of $$ to be disappointed with it...
The chipping around the tailpiece studs does not at all look like "normal cosmetic issues" to me, Gibson or otherwise. I would send it back.
Quote by Avenue13
Do yourself a favour and send it back. It looks used!! If you're pissy at it now its only going to get worse. It's a lot of $$ to be disappointed with it...

It doesn't look used. It looks like a factory new guitar with slight imperfections in finish, nothing more, nothing less. It's up to TS to decide what to do with it.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
The fretboard is a bit disappointing but it's not going to affect playability. As far as the finish around the tailpiece studs, They will often overspray the metal bushing that the tailpiece studs screw into and over time I would consider it normal if this had happened for the lacquer to chip away off the top of the metal bushng (it doesn't stick to chrome plated metal all that great) but either the chip went out over the actual body wood and exposed bare wood or there is a buildup of buffing compound around the bushing (I'm tired and my eyes aren't working that great at this hour). If it's down to the bare wood, I'm gonna agree with Avenue13, it's always gonna irritate you.

Don't ever feel like it's an honor to have paid a lot of money for something and think you can do nothing and have to accept less than satisfaction. You paid good money for the a good product. It's not an honor, it's fair business. You can always vote with your wallet. If it's not up to your expectations, you don't want to put up with it and they can't get you another one, go buy something else. No instrument is going to be flawless, some will be worse than others, regardless of model or manufacturer. If everything works functionally and it isn't beat to heck and obviously used, it's up to you to decide if the problem is a big deal or not. Me personally? I'd return it, but I live in the states and they're easier/cheaper for me to get (even if they are not always in stock) which translates into, the guitar itself (while very nice) is not as big of a deal for me to obtain or replace as it might be for someone overseas.
You’ve popped your Gibson bullshit cherry. Now send it back and buy a better Asian guitar for less money.
Quote by HomerSGR
Not more than normal cosmetic issues when buying a Gibson USA guitar, in my experience. If you want flawless finish, you have chosen the wrong brand to go with.

However, you could send those pictures to the store and ask for a partial refund in order to keep the guitar. Most stores will work with you on issues like these in my experience. If the store is willing to do that it wouldn't bother me, and if I liked the guitar I definitely wouldn't pick sending it back as my first option.

Is it ridiculous to have quality control issues on a £1500 guitar? I'm not sure. Never seen a perfect guitar, and you could find issues on anything if you look close enough. These issues are really rather small. Furthermore, small cosmetic imperfections are quite harmless and if you're going to play the guitar you will have lots of dents and scratches to go with those in time.

What matters, in the end, is what you think. Will you be able to connect with the guitar and be inspired by it, despite the initial flaws? If the only thing you will think about is these issues you have identified, the answer is probably clear.

I have yet to find a flaw in my Washburn N5.

I do think that above a certain price range the least you can expect is that a guitar doesn´t have bits of finish missing like that. I mean, the person who installed the bridge MUST have noticed.
The damage around the tailpiece certainly doesn't look factory to me. And neither does that dent in the fretboard. I'd return it. For all we know, the guitar was completely fine when it left the factory.

Shame I didn't inb4 the Gibson hate bandwagon.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 13, 2015,
Quote by kentuckyklira
I have yet to find a flaw in my Washburn N5.

I do think that above a certain price range the least you can expect is that a guitar doesn´t have bits of finish missing like that. I mean, the person who installed the bridge MUST have noticed.

Could have been fine when it left th3 factory. Nitrocellulose is very much more susceptible to weather checking and other kinds of temperature induced damage than poly finishes. I've had the occasional temperature induced chip myself. We don't know what conditions that instrument traveled through or how it was handled when it got there, but regardless, I don't know that I would accept that from the retail point of purchase like that regardless of how the damage occurred.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The damage around the tailpiece certainly doesn't look factory to me. And neither does that dent in the fretboard. I'd return it. For all we know, the guitar was completely fine when it left the factory.

Shame I didn't inb4 the Gibson hate bandwagon.

Yeah, looks like it's been nudged pretty badly during shipping or something

I can't imagine some chap in the Gibson factory fitting the bridge, fucking it up that badly and then just carrying on with their day

I'd either swap it or ask for a partial refund or whatever.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
^ Agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe I'm jaded -- my first guitar was a Gibson, and when I worked at a music store, I unboxed a lot of them, and what you're showing is NOT a new guitar fresh out of the box as I remember them. Whether it was shipping, screwed up at the factory, messed with at the store or whatever, that's not "normal" and you should ship it back.

It's not an "honour" to own a Gibson these days. It's an extravagance, and it's one that should be rewarded with a guitar at least as good as the offshore guitars that cost a quarter what that one does.
I would not accept flaws like that from any manufacturer especially at Gibson price range whether its Gibson's fault or the dealer's.

My friend has two Les Paul's he bought them both new, both have unacceptable finish issues, one after a few months he noticed the clear was lifting around one of the tuning pegs it was minor but it was not that way when he bought it. He was pissed but he loved the guitar so decided against returning it.

Well as more time passed the spot grew and was no longer minor but getting really noticeable, still he tolerated it. He got a second LP as a gift from his wife it had a gnarly gap where the binding meets the neck joint in the cutaway but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking close he kept it as well. Switching between the two the first one was now getting some case time.

Now this guy has been playing in bands for 30+ years and takes very good care of his gear keeping them from extreme temps , but he is noticing the spot on the peg head has grown and spread to the adjacent peg it looks like crap and Gibson pretty much gave him the run around.To me that is total BS for a $2000+ instrument, I wouldn't accept it.

I haven't had any such issues with any of my imports, I have a used Jackson RR3 with the eerie dess swirl it was made in Japan and was four years old when I bought it used and I haven't found a flaw anywhere on the finish.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 13, 2015,
I have an old Epiphone SG Special - you know the dirt cheap one - and its finish is way better than that Gibson. Send it back. There's no telling what else is wrong or will show up.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
HomerSGR

Agreed! I've purchased 2 Gibsons in the last year that had the same clearcoat issue. One was an ES-LES PAUL and the other a black, limited run FIREBIRD. I had an experienced expert look the Firebird over and he said he's seen alot of new Gibsons where the clearcoat isn't 'cured' or hardened properly at the factory and they end up being what he described as 'soft'... The finish is less durable and prone to scratch and dent much easier than normal. He said Gibson rushes them out and basically doesn't care.

I noticed the problem on the ES-LP because the finish on the neck was really hard to wipe off and have it smooth again after playing it. It'd take multiple sprayings of polish and wipe downs to get it only 3/4 normal again. Then the other day, I noticed a 2" long split on the back of the guitar that could be felt with my fingers. Its definitely not a scratch... its too sharp and jagged to be just a scratch. Anyway, its still under warranty and the dealer contacted Gibson and I'm sending it back. Unbelievably, Gibson makes you pay to ship it back to them. Is that RUDE, or what !??? Gibson buyers... BE-WARE !!!
Last edited by 44BluzTime at Jan 21, 2017,
Check the dates: this thread has been dead 2 years!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!