Hear me out on this one....

I posted a video on another forum where I was playing an Ovation 1778T in pewter color. One of the comments was something to the effect that "the balance between your resonator and your voice sounded fine". I've always known (and liked) the different sound that an Ovation guitar makes, but also always considered it an acoustic guitar.

Given the vitriol that I see regarding the tone of these guitars from the purist, I wonder if it might not have been easier if they had been thought of as an entirely new instrument? In many ways there are more like a lute than a guitar.

Either way, I do love this odd looking guitar (still love my woodies too). Been thinking about taking a sharpie marker too it for a while. This makes me want to draw a resonator on it. That would surely keep them guessing... eh?
"Acoustic" just means that the instrument produces sound mechanically, rather than electrically. So as the other post notes, Essentially any instrument that does not rely on electronic amplification is "acoustic".

Not only all the many styles of guitars, but violins and cellos and pianos....etc, etc.

The ovation produces sound just as does any other guitar, string energy makes the top vibrate. Doesn't matter if the back is made of fiberglass or composite or carbon fiber.
Quote by turtle2
In many ways there are more like a lute than a guitar.

In what ways exactly is it more like a lute? It looks like a guitar, is tuned like a guitar, is played like a guitar, uses guitar strings, etc. Those all seem like pretty guitar-like qualities.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I guess, having recently acquired this "guitar", and it being compared sonically to a resonator guitar, it made me wonder what it sounds like with a slide? I am just kind of changing my perception of the instrument and was thinking "out loud". I know it takes to open tunings very well, just haven't dug up my slide yet.....

Perhaps I should have ask, "Do you consider the Ovation a resonator guitar?"
Last edited by turtle2 at Jan 13, 2015,
Quote by turtle2
Perhaps I should have ask, "Do you consider the Ovation a resonator guitar?"

It doesn't have a resonator though, so why would it be considered a resonator guitar?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
!OYE!
Quote by turtle2
...[ ]...Given the vitriol that I see regarding the tone of these guitars from the purist, I wonder if it might not have been easier if they had been thought of as an entirely new instrument? In many ways there are more like a lute than a guitar. ...[ ]....
Arguably,it's more like a South American instrument, (whose name escapes me ATM), which has a body made from an armadillo shell. Jus' sayin'. Not passin' judgement....

Ah, "Charango", that's it.

In fact, I think Ovation should work, "no armadillos were harmed in the making of these guitars, into their schtick.........
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 14, 2015,
I think you just named my guitar.... Charango.... yes, that's perfect! Thanks CC.
If memory serves, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York has a couple of renaissance Italian guitars with shallow bowl-shaped back in their collection.