Anyone ever moved abroad for permanent residence?

How difficult was it?
& Was it worth it?
& Where?

I'm currently living in Scotland, working for a company called Arup, as a mechanical/electrical draughtsman, so I have a well sought after job (as far as i'm aware) but only problem is I've only almost done it for just a year, so don't have the that much experience within the job, but im assuming it doesn't just take a couple months to go through the process anyways..

I'm really looking towards moving to Australia or New Zealand, just for an improvement on my lifestyle, and so I don't have to learn another language.

Suppose, i'm just wanting to hear if anybody else has done it and how they managed it and coped with the big move etc? Rough cost etc?

Any information or any stories, i'd love to hear!
Quote by GlenGuitar16
Anyone ever moved abroad for permanent residence?

How difficult was it?
& Was it worth it?
& Where?

I'm currently living in Scotland, working for a company called Arup, as a mechanical/electrical draughtsman, so I have a well sought after job (as far as i'm aware) but only problem is I've only almost done it for just a year, so don't have the that much experience within the job, but im assuming it doesn't just take a couple months to go through the process anyways..

I'm really looking towards moving to Australia or New Zealand, just for an improvement on my lifestyle, and so I don't have to learn another language.

Suppose, i'm just wanting to hear if anybody else has done it and how they managed it and coped with the big move etc? Rough cost etc?

Any information or any stories, i'd love to hear!

how much you value the improvement of your lifestyle by moving there? How much would it cost you to do same in your homeland?

Im also willing to move to abroad when I graduate. To study MBA and stay perminently. However I live in Turkey and I do not see the future of country bright and I hate the community in general. People are weird, conservative, narrow minded and 15m population city is not my thing. Therefor I would be willing to pay / sacrifice shitloads just to move to another country, for the sake of my sanity.

Do the same analyses for yourself and decide if its worth it.
y'know who else is thinking of moving abroad?

my mom
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I moved from England to Australia 4 years ago. Honestly, I don't recommend it. It's been very hard, Australia is incredibly expensive and the economy is on the slow down so you won't find it easy to get a job no matter what the industry.

I certainly wouldn't move if you don't have everything already set up the for the moment you get off the plane in terms of a job and housing
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I moved from England to Australia 4 years ago. Honestly, I don't recommend it. It's been very hard, Australia is incredibly expensive and the economy is on the slow down so you won't find it easy to get a job no matter what the industry.

I certainly wouldn't move if you don't have everything already set up the for the moment you get off the plane in terms of a job and housing

Yeah, I'd never move without those two being something Id have to do once I was there, I can apply internally through my company to the Australian offices, so might be something I'll try. That way I'm pretty sure I could secure a job if it got approved.
My dad moved to Australia part-time a few years ago and now he and my mom are planning to move there for good. But he has a job there which provides housing and there are zillions of relatives and friends in the city they're planning to move to.

The cost of living excluding housing is much higher there than it is where we live now. But housing here is more expensive and my parents aren't too far from retirement, and retiring in Australia is a much better deal than doing so here.

I.personally do not see myself moving to Australia in the near future since my situation is very different from theirs.
cat
I'm Australian, my advice is secure a job before you move or go through your company. The job market here is absolutely atrocious, same with NZ. Cost of living is extremely high. Lifestyle in a city is not that much better than overseas in my opinion, just different. There are definite benefits, but at the end of the day you're still living in a city, albeit maybe a more picturesque one. If you want to move here for lifestyle consider a slightly more regional area (1-2 hours outside capital cities or in some of the large regional centres), but you will again have the issue of finding employment.

That being said, the people here will welcome you, and maybe for you the lifestyle will be a big step up. For me to find the right lifestyle that I was after I had to move a decent way out of the big cities. If you have a job lined up, start researching cost of apartments/housing in that area. Unless you live right in the centre of a city you will likely need a car, as public transport outside capitals is not great, at least not compared to where you're from. It will do in a pinch, but you will get bloody sick of it very quickly, especially as it may involve a lot of walking in the heat. My point being, factor in the cost of a car, insurance etc. Make sure you have enough to support yourself.

I'd also advise you to ask specific questions about your destination once you know the location of your work. e.g. advice I would give someone living in Sydney re housing/location is very different to that of Brisbane, Hobart, Perth etc. This country is freaking massive, so consider the climate variations as well. I love living up north in the tropics, but that will be a hell of an adjustment for you. Keep that in mind.

I guess in summary the most important thing: make sure you have employment secured before you come here or you're unlikely to get a job. Make sure you research the cost of housing and transport before making the move, and ensure you have enough left over for the rest of your expenses. Australia is a fantastic place to live, and I say that as someone who has spent a decent amount of time abroad and is well traveled.
Yeah, moved just over 4 years ago

Once you move you realise just how shite the UK is (and how ugly the people are - though it might be skewed cause I moved to a scandinavian/nordic country)
Last edited by sam b at Jan 13, 2015,
Quote by sam b
Yeah, moved just over 4 years ago

Once you move you realise just how shite the UK is (and how ugly the people are - though it might be skewed cause I moved to a scandinavian/nordic country)

Not much else could lower my standards of the UK at this current time, but would be interesting to see it get worse in my view!

I'm not really just focuses on Australia, of course its one of my top picks. If I can avoid learning a different language, i'd be happy.
Any New Zealanders out there got any input on my situation?
Or Canadians?
Quote by GlenGuitar16
If I can avoid learning a different language, i'd be happy.

Out of interest, why do you say this? It'd probably help you further later in life if you spoke another language (talking about France/Germany/Spain here though, not an obscure one like Hungarian or something )

If most people in said country can speak English anyway, you'd get by just fine and you would pick up the language waaaaaaaay quicker living there (I know from experience)

Sound like you just want to get as far away as possible The world's a big place
Quote by sam b
Out of interest, why do you say this? It'd probably help you further later in life if you spoke another language (talking about France/Germany/Spain here though, not an obscure one like Hungarian or something )

If most people in said country can speak English anyway, you'd get by just fine and you would pick up the language waaaaaaaay quicker living there (I know from experience)

Sound like you just want to get as far away as possible The world's a big place

To be perfectly honest, I would love to learn a new language, but the thought of moving to a country and not knowing the language would give me a new level of feeling alone (of course I can learn before hand) but getting fluent is a task. I learned Russian for awhile and I do want to learn a new language.

I realise though if I did move to a country with a decent basic knowledge of a language, living there would help, its just a difficult step as I normally have a busy enough life already as it is with work and my personal life style, without adding the complication of learning a new language in as well. I'm not 100% of the idea, just not sure.
If you ask me the job market in Oz and NZ ain't that bad but then I work in IT so...

Pay is better in Oz and things are cheaper here than in NZ. Once you start earning the dollar stop doing cash conversion. It doesn't make sense to do so and that maybe where jambi_mantra is coming from about how things are expensive over here. Actually alcohol is more expensive in Victoria than in NSW so maybe that was it.

I moved to London years ago from NZ on the working holiday visa and didn't want to leave when it was up. I saved up about $10,000NZD which was enough really. On first arrival the two most difficult things I came across were:

Getting a bank account when I had no fixed address and no name on any bills, letters etc to get one. I had no idea it would be an issue to open an account when you want to give a bank money lol. So try to get a bank account before you move.

Getting a job, I was only looking for bar work but I'd never had a bar job before and didn't know what you were meant to do to get one. Took about 3 months to find work but really if I was smarter (I was young and stupid) I could've got one earlier.

My random piece of advice would be don't treat the country you're moving to as your fricken playground like the dumb English do (or as Antipodeans do in the UK). Often with the group mentality these drunken dickheads think they can behave any dumb way they want and treat the place like shite. Being Scottish you might understand lol.

EDIT: and try to make friends and hang out with locals. Nothing worse than moving half way around the world only to find you're hanging out with fellow Scots. Its a trap bloody Saffas, NZers and Ozzies do in the UK.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Jan 13, 2015,
I moved a broad once. Took two of us to lift her.

HEY NOW!

--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Does anyone know it works securing work over seas?

For example, can I just apply for jobs over there? What happens with interviews and stuff like that? Once I get maybe a few years experience I'm going to try apply for some jobs and see where it takes me but I'm not sure how it works?
Obviously the best bet would do it through my work, but if they don't offer me the possible job, then i'll look for others.

Also, thanks for all your advice guys, really helpful.
Quote by GlenGuitar16

For example, can I just apply for jobs over there? What happens with interviews and stuff like that? Once I get maybe a few years experience I'm going to try apply for some jobs and see where it takes me but I'm not sure how it works?
Obviously the best bet would do it through my work, but if they don't offer me the possible job, then i'll look for others.

They'll be recruitment agencies that can do that for you. They'll interview you on behalf of the employers.
Quote by GlenGuitar16

Make sure your cl states that you are moving to the location the position is posted for and give a very short time frame. Otherwise you probably won't be seriously considered. Be prepared to fly out for interviews prior to moving. Some corporations will pay for you to fly out; depends what type of job it is.
I moved a few times, from Toronto to London UK, that sucked. Now I've been 15 years in the Caribbean, not too bad.
I'm pretty sure once I graduate I will be working abroad for the first while, so it's kind of an accepted thing for me. The difference for me is that I will be going to the place with a job + a place so the risk factor for me is not as large I suppose
I think over the next few years i'll have to just apply for jobs through the agencies and stuff and just see what I can get, i'm looking for a complete fresh start of life, So anywhere is better than here to be perfectly honest.

I have a desirable job, and the more I work here the more proficient and needed my skills will be, lets just hope they are needed enough to allow me to work over seas.
Quote by sam b

So much this. I didn't move abroad permanently (just 1 year) but that was enough time to reach similar conclusions.

^ do you know the language/plan on learning it in next couple years?

Quote by Tempoe
I moved a few times, from Toronto to London UK, that sucked. Now I've been 15 years in the Caribbean, not too bad.

Was it easy moving to UK from Canadia?
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Jan 13, 2015,
Quote by Rebel Scum
If you ask me the job market in Oz and NZ ain't that bad but then I work in IT so...

Pay is better in Oz and things are cheaper here than in NZ. Once you start earning the dollar stop doing cash conversion. It doesn't make sense to do so and that maybe where jambi_mantra is coming from about how things are expensive over here. Actually alcohol is more expensive in Victoria than in NSW so maybe that was it.

I don't convert. I earn dollars so there's no point converting. The cost of living in (the east at least) Australia is ridiculously high.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau