I recently purchased a Marshall JVM 205h. I'm not too sure I like it too much as I play mostly Doom Metal. If I can't get a good tone out of this amp what amps do you think would be better suited.I was thinking about the Orange or50. I would not like to spend more than $1100, but I will spend a little more if it is REALLY worth it.
Last edited by thequinnster5 at Jan 13, 2015,
You can get a doom tone out of anything. But the OR50 would be much much better for that stuff.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Grab yourself a good fuzz or **** back a wah.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If you don't use a pedal, I say keep the mids a bit low and add resonance/low end, and use high gain on the orange channel or lower gain on the red channel. If you do end up using a pedal, use a muff variant with more than 3 knobs (a blackout effector musket, way huge swollen pickle, etc.) to use on your clean channel.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 14, 2015,
Try an orange channel with the gain low and bass high. Mids to taste and highs just enough to give you the clarity you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Randall is coming out with a new amp specially aimed for Doom. Comes with a built in fuzz circuit too. http://www.randallamplifiers.com/th_product/eod-88/

Fortin designed, not a clone of Orange or something. Very interested in this myself. But then again seeing how long it took for Randall to get Satan on market you might not want to hold your breath and keep waiting...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 16, 2015,
Quote by MaaZeus
Randall is coming out with a new amp specially aimed for Doom. Comes with a built in fuzz circuit too. http://www.randallamplifiers.com/th_product/eod-88/

Fortin designed, not a clone of Orange or something. Very interested in this myself. But then again seeing how long it took for Randall to get Satan on market you might not want to hold your breath and keep waiting...

Wow that looks terrible. Aesthetically.

It should at least have a toned down aesthetic variant.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

True. It kind of scream 20 year old. But then again on a smoky doom bar gig the looks might be right at home.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Offworld92

So it can evoke Mood instead of Doom?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
So it can evoke Mood instead of Doom?

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Depends what you mean by great doom tone. If you mean the new bands that play fuzzed out farted out bassier amps like Electric Wizard and such...I first wouldn't call that a great tone but yeah, with some kinda of buzzy distortion up front and the amp set to dull you can probably get it. I'd guess RAT would do really well for that kind of tone.

If you want Candlemass or Solitude Aeturnus doom tone, which I consider the good doom tone, you can probably get it from the amp itself, but if you're not getting it from the amp my guess you're after the first