As the title says, are locking tuners just for easier string change or do they also help the guitar stay in tune? I'm using American Special Strat with six point tremolo, fender cast/sealed tuners and synthetic bone nut. I'm using the whammy bar a lot these days.
Last edited by Saesang at Jan 13, 2015,
They help eliminate string slipping if you suck at stringing a guitar like I do.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
definitely help with tuning stability. I have sperzel's on both of my strats (they both have roller nuts as well). a big key with strats is making sure the nut is cut properly so the strings don't catch. they also are staggered for strats so that you don't need the string trees which helps as well since that can be another point of string hang up. now keep in mind that even with them you still can't go as nuts as you could with a Floyd style trem and stay in tune. I prefer to keep mine floating as the pull up can unkink the strings when playing live with a quick pull.
Locking tuners do nothing for tuning stability. Anyone who says they do doesn't know how to properly wind a string around a traditional tuning peg.

Locking tuners just make string changes faster and have a cleaner look.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Locking tuners do nothing for tuning stability. Anyone who says they do doesn't know how to properly wind a string around a traditional tuning peg.

Locking tuners just make string changes faster and have a cleaner look.

I've been stringing guitars longer than you have been alive and I disagree. locking tuners certainly do help with tuning stability. they allow for less string movement which in the case of a trem means less of a chance for the sting to get hung up on the nut.
the reason strats don't hold tune well is the nut, compared to a floyd with a locking nut. the trems just aren't made to withstand floyd-esque abuse without going out of tune
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

but this guy is right. string it like that and you shouldn't see a difference
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Good to know. Was about to pull the trigger on Schaller m6
Think I'll go for a bone nut and new restringing technique
Quote by monwobobbo
I've been stringing guitars longer than you have been alive and I disagree. locking tuners certainly do help with tuning stability. they allow for less string movement which in the case of a trem means less of a chance for the sting to get hung up on the nut.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't that just mean there's a problem with the nut?

I don't really notice a difference in tuning stability with a properly set up and strung up guitar with non locking tuners compared to one with locking tuners, but replacing strings certainly is a much quicker and easier process with locking tuners and I prefer them over regular tuners for that reason and that reason alone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't that just mean there's a problem with the nut?

I don't really notice a difference in tuning stability with a properly set up and strung up guitar with non locking tuners compared to one with locking tuners, but replacing strings certainly is a much quicker and easier process with locking tuners and I prefer them over regular tuners for that reason and that reason alone.

there is always going to be some friction at the nut. locking tuners pretty much eliminate string slippage (and yes if done really well standard tuners won't slip). the other thing is that they are staggered which keeps the pressure on the nut so you don't need string trees. strings can get caught on string trees (especially the old style ones) causing tuning issues as well. if you eliminate the other potential issues that does just leave the nut to deal with. I have roller nuts on my strats which helps a great deal. of course a good setup can make an unmodded strat stay in tune really well.
Do locking tuners help tuning stabilty?

No. That was demonstrated pretty convincingly 20 or so years ago when they first started appearing on production guitars.

But they do make restringing faster.
should we say - in general, they can increase tuning stability by reducing error of string changes. you know its going to be locked down, every time.

also there is less "break in" period. after tuning up, very quickly after the strings are stretched because there are no extra windings to get taught and keep stretching.

so yes, i think it is accurate to say they "help" tuning stability. does that mean a guitar is less stable without them? no. a guitar can easily be just as stable.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
they don't help ..... if strung wrong they both suck , strung right both are fine ..... if you don't lock your tuner right it not going to be any better than a regular tuner strung wrong ..... if you can't string a guitar get locking , I prefer locking because it quicker changing strings but in my arsenal both work fine as far as holding a tune
Quote by ikey_

also there is less "break in" period. after tuning up, very quickly after the strings are stretched because there are no extra windings to get taught and keep stretching.

One of the original claims for locking tuners (by manufacturers of locking tuners, natch) was that they eliminated stretching in the extra windings. It was pretty conclusively proven that there really isn't any significant stretching and contraction happening in the windings of ordinary tuners, and certainly not anything that would cause audible tuning errors. That was tossed at least 20 years ago.
I have ONE - yes, only one out of my pile of guitars that has a set of locking tuners on it, and the only reason I have em' on that guitar is because it's a travel guitar and I don't want it damaging the garments in our checked baggage with pointy string ends (they're the old Planet Waves tuners with the string cutter on the tuner capstan), and the other reason is I did not feel like driving back to the guitar shop for a refund.

They don't help tuning stability at all. The best things to do for tuning stability is

- NEATLY coil the strings around the tuners, this one is huge, this can even keep the guitar in tune if you are playing a Tremolo equipped strat copy with a fanned string spread at the headstock (ie banana headstock). I did this on my Kramer Striker ST-100 (no locking nut, FRII) and it stays in perfect tune, same goes for my pointy headstock Korean Memphis strat.

- If you have no tremolo, stretch the strings out and let them pull back to equilibrium, if you have a Tremolo, do some bar dives until they won't go out of tune. I do this with every guitar I have. You don't want the strings fully stretched out, they WILL go sharp after that, you want them in that happy middle spot they like to snap back to.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
d spellman - i would personally have to disagree to a point. it may just be my technique of restringing, but when regular tuners, it could take 1-2 days to fully lock into their final tuning if that makese sense. ill tune up, play a few songs, they will be flat. return, flat again. perhaps work it out a bit.

with locking tuners, literally after the first tune in 10 minutes they pretty much just stay right there. that tells me the windings around the peg are giving. at least the way i do it.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I don't notice any real difference, myself. I love Grover lockers but they don't hold tune any better than any other decent tuner if you string them properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They make string changes faster I can tell you that. Maybe you should pull the trigger on those Shallers!
i tell ya, the faster changes, less windings, really the whole feel and experience on locking tuners is worth it to me. i doubt i will ever own a guitar without locking tuners ever again. its such s feature that i feel in 2015, that type of technology should be standard on ANY guitar. it just makes sense.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by ikey_
i tell ya, the faster changes, less windings, really the whole feel and experience on locking tuners is worth it to me. i doubt i will ever own a guitar without locking tuners ever again. its such s feature that i feel in 2015, that type of technology should be standard on ANY guitar. it just makes sense.

X2 , I'll never order another guitar without locking tuners , all though I'm OK with conventional tuners on what I all ready have , I'll just never order a guitar without them
Considering the price on locking tuners, saying you will "never" order a guitar without them doesn't make sense. How about a les paul custom for half price "nah, doesn't have those locking tuners brah".

Locking tuners are a nice addition, but overrated. I don't really consider them a real factor when choosing a guitar. As long as they are stable, I've never had problems.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent