I've been looking at Original Fender Pure Nickel Bullet End Strings and on the Fender website there are different choices of 9 gauge strings. I currently use 9 gauge Ernie Ball strings. I believe these strings are .009-.042. I'm switching from Ernie Balls to Fender Bullets for numerous reasons, and I know for sure that I want 9 gauge strings. The 'different choices' of gauges are:

-.009-.040

-.009-.042

-.009-.046

Which set is mostly recommended for a Fender Classic 50s Strat? Bear in mind I do lots of bends/soloing/David Gilmour-y stuff.

Just in case there is any confusion, here are the strings that I am referring to:
http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/accessories/strings/original-bullet-3150l-pure-nickel-gauges-009-042/
Quote by matthewdavidlee
I've been looking at Original Fender Pure Nickel Bullet End Strings and on the Fender website there are different choices of 9 gauge strings. I currently use 9 gauge Ernie Ball strings. I believe these strings are .009-.042. I'm switching from Ernie Balls to Fender Bullets for numerous reasons, and I know for sure that I want 9 gauge strings. The 'different choices' of gauges are:

-.009-.040

-.009-.042

-.009-.046

Which set is mostly recommended for a Fender Classic 50s Strat? Bear in mind I do lots of bends/soloing/David Gilmour-y stuff.

Just in case there is any confusion, here are the strings that I am referring to:
http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/accessories/strings/original-bullet-3150l-pure-nickel-gauges-009-042/

The 9-42 would be the best for soloing. While the 9'46's would be the best for standard-tuning-chuga-chuga-metal riffs.

It's really personal preference. Try each one of these strings out and roll with which one you like best.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 13, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek
The 9-42 would be the best for soloing. While the 9'46's would be the best for standard-tuning-chuga-chuga-metal riffs.

It's really personal preference. Try each one of these strings out and roll with which one you like best.

Thanks for clearing that up How would the 9-40 pack feel? And how much would it affect my guitar in regards to thinks like tuning, tone, sustain, etc.
Quote by matthewdavidlee
Thanks for clearing that up How would the 9-40 pack feel? And how much would it affect my guitar in regards to thinks like tuning, tone, sustain, etc.

I don't really know man, I'm mainly a metal player and I never considered 9-40 packs. Maybe wait for other people's opinions?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
You lucky sucker, you have the 009-040 set, that's what I used to use on my Jag-Stang back in my Nu-Metal/Thrash Metal days. Can't find em' anywhere around here now. Wish they still made them in Stainless as well, I loved the tight response I got out of those.

Probably 009-046 for a vintage strat type guitar to fatten up the lows a bit, using Single Coils I suppose?
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Lighter gauges are easier to bend, and vice versa. Play with your strings and see if that is something you want or not. If your 9-42s aren't giving you enough resistance, then get a heavier gauge.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X