Hi all! I have an epiphone les paul standard and a laney lx12 amp. I do not have any processor so all I have for effects is what I have on the amp. I was trying to play 'no more sorrow' by linkin park nd couldn't get the right sound. It sounded all funny and dissimilar from the song. Can somebody help me with the equalisation settings (bass, treble, mid and crunch). I prefer rock,hard rock or heavy metal (GnR, Led Zep, Clapton,etc)
PS. I hve bought them two months ago so I haven't got much idea about amp and stuff. And I dint have budget for a processor currently.
Thanx!!
With a beginner amp like that you kind of have to adjust your expectations- even with really expensive gear you'll probably not utterly nail guitar tones, you normally have to settle for getting into the ballpark.

I haven't tried your amp but I could sort of guess at settings. Assuming you mean the rhythm tone (and not the little lead bit in the intro), set your guitar to its bridge pickup (labelled "treble" on the selector switch) and make sure the guitar's volume and tone knobs are up full.

on the eq you probably want a fair bit of treble. so say 7-8. mids, probably a little bit of a scoop. say 4-5. bass probably somewhere between those two (say 6-7, though that bit at ~2.25 seems to have more bass, you could increase it a bit for that, maybe to a similar level as the treble, maybe even a little more).

Crunch you need to set to taste depending on your guitar's pickups etc. I'm guessing pretty high, again around 7-8. (make sure the crunch/od button is on.)

You'll have to tweak those settings to get as close as you can, but hopefully they're a bit of a starting point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, thanx for the reply. I really appreciate it! Now I understand that the amp is not up to the mark for playing such distinctive tones. It even gets all fuzzy and the sound kind of gets inaudible at higher crunch (9-10). But I guess for now, I'll have to settle for it, as you've said. And I'll try the settings you've recommended and alter them up and down if necessary. Maybe it'll take me somewhere near. If not to perfection. Any other help would be appreciated.
PS. One more thing I wanted to ask is what amp (not much costly) should I buy in future to get the kind of sound I've mentioned in my post and one which would go with the les paul guitar?
Yeah you kind of have to set the crunch knob so you're getting enough distortion to sound right, but not so high that it goes to mush either. assuming the amp is capable of doing that.

what country are you in? that affects prices etc.

I'd suspect if you don't want it to be too expensive, one of the better modelling amps which is more aimed at high gain tones would be the thing- peavey vypyr, roland cube, something like that. the only problem is the cheaper, smaller ones often don't have the features of the dearer ones (like as many amp models in the case of the cubes) and tend to have smaller speakers (a 12" speaker is pretty helpful in getting heavier tones).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?