Hi guys. I've decided I would really like a Telecaster...I'm not real sure which one will be best suited for me. I'm somewhat of a novice player yet, but I want something to play that sounds great, and keeps inviting me back again and again...

I'm mostly wanting a Joe Walsh kind of sound, but also more of a country twang as well for the cleans. I will be playing a mix of blues, and country both old school, and modern. I'm a player where I like to keep my thumb along the back of the neck for the most part. I don't really place it over the top.

I don't really know what there are for different neck profiles.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty new to the Fender line, and I don't know a lot about what is really different between them all. Price is not really a factor, although, I don't need anything one off, or limited either.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by tsg31t at Jan 13, 2015,
Nothing wrong with an off the rack Fender, but why not get EXACTLY what you want?

http://www.colemancustomguitars.com/

Or any of several dozen other folks that would be thrilled to make you precisely what you want.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
often times what is different about different model tele's is very subtle and could be lost on a novice player. no offense, you may (or may not) notice the differences.

for a balls to the wall awesome MIA tele i'd look at a G&L ASAT.

hands down the most tele bang for the buck when buying new.

just my opinion.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
often times what is different about different model tele's is very subtle and could be lost on a novice player. no offense, you may (or may not) notice the differences.

just my opinion.

Thank you for the responses so far.

I guess I shouldn't say i'm a novice. I have been playing guitar for around 15 years. I've kinda been on and off throughout the years. I've mainly been more of a hard rock, rhythm, power chord kinda guy. I've worked on more lead technique over the last couple years. I guess i'm probably more intermediate. I do fee like I will notice many of the differences. But I still have a lot to learn. I think my main concern is the neck profile, and how the different models differ that way. Along with pickups...I understand the neck profile will effect the sounds as well...I'm pretty dead set on having an actual Fender as well.
I would go for a Baja telecaster because of the extra switching options not to mention it is a great sounding tele too. Or get a variation of the tele custom with eh humbucker in the neck position.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Series-Classic-Player-Baja-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-104004429-i1166323.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Series--72-Telecaster-Custom-Electric-Guitar-510475-i1146395.gc
generally speaking you have the more vintage spec ones and the more modern ones. and then some which sort of fall in-between.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1534084 That tells you more or less which are which in the fender lineup.

to see which you prefer you'd want to try one of the modern spec ones (e.g. USA standard tele or USA deluxe tele) and then one of the more vintage spec ones (e.g. american vintage tele) to see what you think. generally speaking, the vintage ones sound and feel more "vintage" (so more suitable for older types of music and playing styles) while the newer ones sound and feel more modern (so more suitable for newer types of music and playing styles). but personal preference plays a big part too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have two Fender American Standard Telecasters, from 2010 and 2011.

I think they would be a good choice to start with. They are modern playability-wise, with a Modern C-profile neck and 9,5 inch radius and would be a safe choice in that regard while still being a good representative of what the Telecaster is about.

The American Deluxe is most certainly a higher quality guitar, but with compound radius fingerboard, S-1 Switching and noiseless pickups I at least feel that some of the identity of a Telecaster in both sound and feel is lost in order to create a more modern instrument.

Apart from those you, the American Vintage Series delivers what the name implies, vintage-specification instruments without the "upgrades" and changes made to the Telecaster in the 60 and some years since it was released.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by gregs1020

just my opinion.

The Carvin version also kicks butt.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/tlb60

Or maybe a Tom Anderson.
http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2013a09a18andersonwalnuthollowt/andersonwaluthollowt

Or a Rice:
http://www.ricecustomguitars.com/models.php?model=cts

Or JKG:
http://www.jonkammerercustoms.com

Or Rock Beach:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/

...IOW, there are a lot of USA-made, high-quality versions of the Telecaster floating around.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 13, 2015,
He's pretty much set on a Fender though.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by tsg31t
Thank you for the responses so far.

I guess I shouldn't say i'm a novice. I have been playing guitar for around 15 years. I've kinda been on and off throughout the years. I've mainly been more of a hard rock, rhythm, power chord kinda guy. I've worked on more lead technique over the last couple years. I guess i'm probably more intermediate. I do fee like I will notice many of the differences. But I still have a lot to learn. I think my main concern is the neck profile, and how the different models differ that way. Along with pickups...I understand the neck profile will effect the sounds as well...I'm pretty dead set on having an actual Fender as well.

you sound like me 10 years ago. was pretty much in the same situation.

i can understand wanting a "fender". but know that the "L" in G&L is "Leo Fender". he sold the company and created G&L a bit later.

but wanting an actual "fender" is fine too. they make great teles. occasionally sam ash has clearance deals on new MIA teles this time of year. i'm sure others are clearing out the 2014's as well. good luck!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Carvin version also kicks butt.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/tlb60

you've never, and you will never, hear me knock carvin stuff.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
.IOW, there are a lot of USA-made, high-quality versions of the Telecaster floating around.

i never said there aren't. i just said that i'd go with a G&L.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 13, 2015,
Missed that part.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

While I usually recommend Reverb.com as a shopping site, when it comes to Fenders, I usually start at GuitarsandEffects.com. They usually have a good selection at decent prices.

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/page3.html

For Fender's specifically, there are basically three main modern American Telecaster models: American Special, American Standard and American Deluxe, plus the vintage-style American Vintage Reissue, and Vintage Hot Rod.

The American Special is the bare-bones American Telecaster. This is the model you'd get if you want to say that you have a American made guitar, and that's a primary selling point. Feature-wise, it's most similar to the (Mexican-made) Standard series, but with better quality materials.

The American Standard is the direct descendent of the original Telecaster, but has been continually upgraded with improvements in technology and more features.

The American Deluxe is the premiere production model for Fender and includes features not available on the Standard, Special or any other production model, like the compound radius neck and top of the line pickups.

The American Vintage Reissues are vintage-style guitars built to as close to original specifications as possible (e.g. the '52 AVRI Telecaster is just about as close to a 1952 Telecaster as it's possible to make a new guitar). Big features include nitrocellulose finishes and vintage-style pickups and necks.

The Vintage Hot-Rod series are vintage-style guitars that include changes that would not have been available for Fender production guitars at the time. Mostly this means that they're 50s or 60s spec guitars but include some modern features, on Strats this means that they have 5-way (instead of 3-way switching). On the Telecaster model, it's got a mini-humbucker in the neck. (Actually, it looks like they've recently discontinued the Vintage Hot-Rod series.)

Additionally, it's my personal opinion that there's no reason to go for anything less than a full featured American guitar, so I really don't think that the American Special is worth the cost. American standard or better is the best value for an American guitar.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I like the G&L's better than Fenders myself , way more options and G&L blows fender out of the water for price and quality , still made in the original Fender factory in Fullerton California
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jan 13, 2015,
Quote by Fumble fingers
I like the G&L's better than Fenders myself , way more options and G&L blows fender out of the water for price and quality , still made in the original Fender factory in Fullerton California

The original Fender factory in Fullerton, California is now a parking garage. The G&L Factory is down the street from the old Fender factory.

http://www.glguitars.com/factorytour/

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Wow! Thank you for all of the info. I have been looking at all of this, and I'm leaning towards an American Standard. after seeing the other Tele makers, it has sparked some interest in to at least taking a look to see what they offer. Thanks again. Appreciate the info!
If you're in the SoCal area, the Fender museum is across the parking lot from my office in Corona. But one of the best places to look at Fender teles is Wild West Guitars in Riverside. This is a hidden gem, with NO street presence, tucked into a light industrial park, and the door is locked. No display windows, etc., and you have to know it's there, knock on the door (or call ahead) and you'll be treated to rooms upon rooms of Fenders, Suhrs, etc. While there, ask about The Voodoo Lounge. That's all I can say about that.

My suggestion regarding brands is that you open your mind a bit, both with regard to other brands of tele (honestly, there are better than Fender) and to other countries of origin. Even if you're looking for a basic tele, you'll want to pay attention to the specs. I have issues trying to play a tele with the original 7.5" radius fretboard and the skinny frets. The one I've liked best has actually been a Korean version with a 14" radius and jumbo frets. In other areas, however, the field has been so "improved" that a lot of teles (including those from Fender) have lost much of the original tele character. The two best tele tones that I've tried have been an old rattletrap Fender (playability was terrible, but it sounded great) and the modeled tele sound from a Line 6 Variax. Before you laugh at that last, it's worth noting that when Mutt Lange (famous producer of rock bands back to AC/DC's "Back In Black") was looking for a "best" tele sound for Shania Twain's first tour, he auditioned a BUNCH of teles. When the exasperated guitar player had run through a bunch of different guitars, he finally dragged out an older Variax 600 and pulled up the modeled tele. Mutt Lange said, "THAT one. That's what we're going to use," and that's what went on tour.
Quote by dspellman
If you're in the SoCal area, the Fender museum is across the parking lot from my office in Corona. But one of the best places to look at Fender teles is Wild West Guitars in Riverside. This is a hidden gem, with NO street presence, tucked into a light industrial park, and the door is locked. No display windows, etc., and you have to know it's there, knock on the door (or call ahead) and you'll be treated to rooms upon rooms of Fenders, Suhrs, etc. While there, ask about The Voodoo Lounge. That's all I can say about that.

My suggestion regarding brands is that you open your mind a bit, both with regard to other brands of tele (honestly, there are better than Fender) and to other countries of origin. Even if you're looking for a basic tele, you'll want to pay attention to the specs. I have issues trying to play a tele with the original 7.5" radius fretboard and the skinny frets. The one I've liked best has actually been a Korean version with a 14" radius and jumbo frets. In other areas, however, the field has been so "improved" that a lot of teles (including those from Fender) have lost much of the original tele character. The two best tele tones that I've tried have been an old rattletrap Fender (playability was terrible, but it sounded great) and the modeled tele sound from a Line 6 Variax. Before you laugh at that last, it's worth noting that when Mutt Lange (famous producer of rock bands back to AC/DC's "Back In Black") was looking for a "best" tele sound for Shania Twain's first tour, he auditioned a BUNCH of teles. When the exasperated guitar player had run through a bunch of different guitars, he finally dragged out an older Variax 600 and pulled up the modeled tele. Mutt Lange said, "THAT one. That's what we're going to use," and that's what went on tour.

Next time I'm in SoCal I will definitely try to get to that place. Thank you for the info.
Well I picked up my new USA Standard Tele yesterday. (sunburst, with maple neck) It is an absolutely beautiful guitar. (I'd post pics but I can't really figure out how to attach an image)

I wasn't actually planing on buying it yesterday, I just went to look to see how I liked the color...(Was trying to decide between the sunburst, and the natural) But as soon as I set eyes on it, I knew I had to take it home. Not only that, it was taken right from a packaged box, from the warehouse, so nobody has touched this guitar but the guys in the factory at Fender, and myself...

It's very true what others have said about these guitars...Once you own one, you can't put it down. And I literally slept right next to it last night...I absolutely love it...I played it for 3.5 hours last night, and It's already made me a better guitar player.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, and information you guys provided me with. Thanks to all of that, I am confident I made the right choice.
WOOT!

Don't forget to post pix & a review, sooner the better!

Sweet, nice score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
where are the pic's?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm working on pics....They need an "attach image" button on this site...Just sayin.
Last edited by tsg31t at Jan 15, 2015,
they have it but it only works for really small file sizes. easiest way is to sign up to e.g. photobucket (free) and host them there and then just post the link with tags around it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think I have the images figured out...
Last edited by tsg31t at Jan 16, 2015,
Quote by tsg31t

Fixed images (you've doubled the tags)

Happy NGD, by the way!

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
There ya go! HNGD!

Sweet

LOL at the one with the dog in the corner
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice, I like a sunburst almost as much as a blonde finish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sweet

LOL at the one with the dog in the corner

Hah! Yeah, that's Rudy. He's pretty good at photo bombs...
^ haha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?