Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to learn War Pigs using a guitarpro tab and i'm currently stuck at part 78-79 of the solo.

Specifically at the transition between 78 and 79 where the 3x 14b-12-12 are played in quick succession....i cannot for the love of god understand how you are supposed to play them that fast and make them sound like individual notes instead of a strum.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, maybe the tab is wrong (although it sounds right).

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks!

Tab attached below.
Attachments:
Black Sabbath - War Pigs (3).gp3
i don't have guitar pro, do you have a link to the song (e.g .on youtube) and the exact time this occurs at?

(I assume when you say 14b-12-12 you mean

e------------12---
B-------12--------
G-14b------------
D-----------------
A-----------------
E----------------

or something like that? it's a pretty standard lick. I guess good muting would help the notes to ring out. and more practise when it comes to the picking.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well... I don't know the exact picking pattern that Tony Iommi used, but... So I play country and bluegrass. We have a technique we use called "cross picking" which allows for playing notes on different strings precisely like that lick you are talking about. The technique was actually developed to allow mandolin and guitar pickers to easily play banjo rolls with a flat pick.

Basically the gist of it is to play one stroke one way and two the other, so either down, up, up, or up, down, down depending on your preference. So for me... I would play the 14 with an up stroke and then a down stroke for both 12s... kind of one contiguous motion similar to what is used in sweeping picking... though probably closer to economy picking.

When sweeping you would use all down strokes, but it is tricky to do three down strokes, and then come up for three more. Since you already have to come back up, rather than wasting that blank upward movement, you turn it into an upstroke on the 14th fret note and then do your two down strokes, and then repeat.

You can probably find some good cross picking tutorial videos if it is easier for you to see it rather than have it described.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Typical rock picking would be up (for bend), down, down, repeated.

The trick is to down pick the two 12 fret notes in one motion. Push through these two notes with the pick.

Try practising just

14 B, 12 (on 3rd and 2nd string) as up, down ... and repeat with as little pick motion as possible. Then add the top most string, continuing the same down motion, uniterrupted, just enough to get you to that top string. Or add top note by finger picking that one. As usual, start slow.

Of course, the right guitar sound really helps here, as the notes will sound more fluid.

cheers, Jerry
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jan 14, 2015,
Thanks for the vid

Yeah I think it's just practice. As theogonia777 and jerry said, it's a matter of finding a picking pattern which makes it as easy as possible, and then just practise it until you get it. It is quite tricky, to be fair (I find it awkward too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?